Old February 26th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default CB radio interference with USB devices on computer

I have a cheap CB radio from radio shack, but whenever I use it to talk, my
computer loses connection with one of its USB devices. I can even see the
pattern of what I am saying in the light flashing underneath my mouse. All
I have to do is unplug the USB device and plug it back in, but it gets a
little annoying crawling around underneath my computer. Is there any way to
make it -stop- doing this (besides the obvious solution of not having the
computer on at all).
Thanks.
Mindraker, Western North Carolina

Old February 26th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Mindraker wrote:
I have a cheap CB radio from radio shack, but whenever I use it to talk, my
computer loses connection with one of its USB devices. I can even see the
pattern of what I am saying in the light flashing underneath my mouse. All
I have to do is unplug the USB device and plug it back in, but it gets a
little annoying crawling around underneath my computer. Is there any way to
make it -stop- doing this (besides the obvious solution of not having the
computer on at all).
Thanks.
Mindraker, Western North Carolina

You don't mention what kind of CB you are using. Is it a handheld
walkie-talkie type with a rubber duck type of antenna or is it a mobile
with an external antenna? If it is a walkie-talkie type with a rubber
duck antenna, you're probably out of luck and will need to just deal
with the interference to your USB plug or back further away from your
computer when you use it. If you have a mobile with an external
antenna, you may have a mistmatch (high SWR condition) or possibly some
feedline radiation going on. Try moving your coax further away from the
computer and see what happens.

Anthony

Old February 26th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 07:15:28 -0500, "Mindraker" wrote:

+++I have a cheap CB radio from radio shack, but whenever I use it to talk, my
+++computer loses connection with one of its USB devices. I can even see the
+++pattern of what I am saying in the light flashing underneath my mouse. All
+++I have to do is unplug the USB device and plug it back in, but it gets a
+++little annoying crawling around underneath my computer. Is there any way to
+++make it -stop- doing this (besides the obvious solution of not having the
+++computer on at all).
+++Thanks.
+++Mindraker, Western North Carolina
+++

**************

Outside of shielding and/or bypassing on the inside of your USB mouse,
move your transmitter farther away. Even better don't talk on the
radio at the same time you use the computer. The USB cable itself is
fairly immune to EMI pickup but not 100% prevention. The circuit board
inside the mouse is often left unprotected. Then again most
manufacturers of USB mice do not intend the product to be used in
strong RF fields.

james
Old February 26th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Anthony Jones" wrote in message
You don't mention what kind of CB you are using. Is it a handheld
walkie-talkie type with a rubber duck type of antenna or is it a mobile
with an external antenna? If it is a walkie-talkie type with a rubber
duck antenna, you're probably out of luck and will need to just deal with
the interference to your USB plug or back further away from your computer
when you use it. If you have a mobile with an external antenna, you may
have a mistmatch (high SWR condition) or possibly some feedline radiation
going on. Try moving your coax further away from the computer and see
what happens.

Anthony

It's a mobile with an external antenna. It's right on top of my desk, where
my computer is, which is probably part of the problem. I'll try moving it
farther away and see what that does.
Thanks.
Mindraker, Western North Carolina

203 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (27-NOV-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 December 1st 04 05:09 AM
shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1379 – January 16, 2004 Radionews Policy 0 January 18th 04 09:35 PM