Old April 21st 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Antenna Recommendation

I just leased a brand new 07 pickup truck, and I have a Mirage 6600 radio
converted for
use as a CB.

I have some limitations on antenna choices, such as I park in a parking
garage every day
for work. Not to mention that I don't want to scratch the paint with a
Magnet Mount
and sonce it's a lease, a permanent roof mount is out. I was thinking of
either a 108"
steel whip attached to the trailor hitch, or 2 fiberglass whips on each
front side of the
bed.

I might get an amp later, so performace means alot also.

Thanks for your advice!

Old April 21st 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Robert A. Turpin" wrote:
I just leased a brand new 07 pickup truck, and I have a Mirage 6600 radio
converted for
use as a CB.

I have some limitations on antenna choices, such as I park in a parking
garage every day
for work. Not to mention that I don't want to scratch the paint with a
Magnet Mount
and sonce it's a lease, a permanent roof mount is out. I was thinking of
either a 108"
steel whip attached to the trailor hitch, or 2 fiberglass whips on each
front side of the
bed.

I might get an amp later, so performace means alot also.

Thanks for your advice!

Mirror mount?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old April 21st 07, 06:41 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 00:05:29 -0400, "Robert A. Turpin"
wrote in
:

I just leased a brand new 07 pickup truck, and I have a Mirage 6600 radio
converted for
use as a CB.

I have some limitations on antenna choices, such as I park in a parking
garage every day
for work. Not to mention that I don't want to scratch the paint with a
Magnet Mount
and sonce it's a lease, a permanent roof mount is out.

I've done literally dozens of roof installs on lease vehicles. The
dealerships usually don't mind as long as it's done by a competent
tech. Give them a call. Either they will have their own tech do it or
outsource it to a local shop.

I was thinking of
either a 108"
steel whip attached to the trailor hitch, or 2 fiberglass whips on each
front side of the
bed.

I would say the roof. You can put a shorty on there while commuting to
work, and keep a firestick or ss whip behind the seat when you hit the
highway or find a nice hill.

I might get an amp later, so performace means alot also.

Aw, that's cheating!

Old April 21st 07, 07:10 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Robert:

Robert A. Turpin wrote:

I just leased a brand new 07 pickup truck, and I have a Mirage 6600 radio
converted for
use as a CB.

I have some limitations on antenna choices, such as I park in a parking
garage every day
for work. Not to mention that I don't want to scratch the paint with a
Magnet Mount
and sonce it's a lease, a permanent roof mount is out. I was thinking of
either a 108"
steel whip attached to the trailor hitch, or 2 fiberglass whips on each
front side of the
bed.

I'll bet a Wilson 1000 or 5000 will work just great.

I might get an amp later, so performace means alot also.

Thanks for your advice!

The Wilson 1000 or 5000 will take a little heat, it will help you get
out better. A 100 watts or so will work fine.

Jay in the Mojave

Old April 21st 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

I would say the roof. You can put a shorty on there while commuting to
work, and keep a firestick or ss whip behind the seat when you hit the
highway or find a nice hill.

If I'm going with the roof, what's to gain with a permanent mount vs. a
Wilson magnet mount?

Old April 21st 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Jay in the Mojave" wrote in message

I'll bet a Wilson 1000 or 5000 will work just great.

The only problem with a Wilson (I ran one one my old truck when I first
started this job), is that I must stop every day before entering and after
exiting to remove or replace the whip. This procedure gets really old very
quickly, and god forbid if I should forget to put it back on and fire up a
conversation...

The Wilson 1000 or 5000 will take a little heat, it will help you get out
better. A 100 watts or so will work fine.

I don't really know much about amps, other than you're not supposed to use
them for cb's. Do they do anything besides making your signal travel out
further?

Old April 21st 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
GHB GHB is offline

Check out the Skipshooter fiberglass antennas. I've had one for years on
top of my aluminum camper shell and it gets out great barefoot but will take
up to 1500 Watts of power. They come in several lengths with the shortest
one around 2 or 3 feet and they are the strongest fiberglass antenna made
and have a tunable tip. I have mine mounted on a ball and spring mount but
I'm sure you could find a mount you like. On your rooftop it should really
work great.

Scorpio
m...

Old April 21st 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Robert A. Turpin" wrote:
I just leased a brand new 07 pickup truck, and I have a Mirage 6600
radio converted for
use as a CB.

I have some limitations on antenna choices, such as I park in a
parking garage every day
for work. Not to mention that I don't want to scratch the paint with a
Magnet Mount
and sonce it's a lease, a permanent roof mount is out. I was thinking
of either a 108"
steel whip attached to the trailor hitch, or 2 fiberglass whips on
each front side of the
bed.

I might get an amp later, so performace means alot also.

Thanks for your advice!

Mirror mount?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/

Front fender mount?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old April 21st 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Robert A. Turpin" wrote:
I would say the roof. You can put a shorty on there while commuting to
work, and keep a firestick or ss whip behind the seat when you hit the
highway or find a nice hill.

If I'm going with the roof, what's to gain with a permanent mount vs. a
Wilson magnet mount?

Easier coax run and better ground, no scratchy the paint too.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/