Old April 30th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default What happened to the SkyWave?

On 29 Apr 2007 06:11:49 -0700, Telstar Electronics
wrote:

+++On Apr 28, 9:47 pm, james wrote:
+++ Brian there is one thing you have said that is true. It is hard to
+++ defend what you don't have. Like Rhett Butler said to Chariolete,
+++ Frankly I don't give a dam what you really know and what you think you
+++ know.
+++
+++
+++Just remember that your derogatory comments started this exchange...
+++I assure you that if you continue in the future, I will defend myself
+++here on this forum. Enough said.
+++
+++www.telstar-electronics.com

***********

Actually I don't think my first comments were derogatory about why the
amp no longer is a marketable item. I was expounding my opinion as to
why you suffered poor profit margins. If you found that was a
derogatory remark then it maybe you who has the very thin skin.

james
Old April 30th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On 27 Apr 2007 12:10:56 -0700, Telspam Electronics
wrote in
. com:

On Apr 27, 2:05 pm, "Mike Hunt" wrote:
Skywave CB amplifier released October 2006
Skywave CB amplifier discontinued April 2007
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Mike, the previous model of the Skywave was sold sucessfully for many
years.

Yet nobody claims to have bought one, owned one, or even to have seen
one (other than the pics in the "literature" you have spammed in this
group over the past ten years).

It was only the latest 2879ABTC model with the temperature
compensated biasing that was offered in 2006... and then discontinued
in 2007. This was due to the increased cost of the new version.

Really? And here I thought it was due to:

1. Incomplete/inadequate market research;
2. Blatantly hacked design;
3. Fabricated specifications;
4. Proof of non-linearity (in your own literature!!!);
5. Lack of product testimonials (credible or not);
6. Nine square feet (and many other demonstrations of technical
incompetence in this group).

But hey, I could be wrong..... was it -really- about cost? Weren't
your customers willing to pay for the amp -before- you built it? (the
ungrateful *******s!!!) Or was it because your welfare check wasn't
large enough to cover the capital overhead? Or did mommy and daddy cut
off your allowance?

Get a job.

Old April 30th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:11:55 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

+++On 29 Apr 2007 06:11:49 -0700, Telspam Electronics
wrote in
oups.com:
+++
+++On Apr 28, 9:47 pm, james wrote:
+++ Brian there is one thing you have said that is true. It is hard to
+++ defend what you don't have. Like Rhett Butler said to Chariolete,
+++ Frankly I don't give a dam what you really know and what you think you
+++ know.
+++
+++
+++Just remember that your derogatory comments started this exchange...
+++I assure you that if you continue in the future, I will defend myself
+++here on this forum. Enough said.
+++
+++
+++LOL!!! Where's that schematic, Brian?
+++
+++

*************

Actually it would be interesting to see a schematic. Just looking at
the evaluation schematic and his photos on Ebay it is not just a copy
of the evaluation board. So he had to put some thought behind it. At
least give him credit for that. One thing is I am not going to pay
that price to see a schematic or reverse engineer it to see how it
works. Can do that from the specification.

The only thing that bothers me is this is based on an IC that has been
in production for at least 9 yrs. It cousin the SSM2165 has been
obsoleted by the SSM2167. From ADI webpage I wonder how long the
SSM2166 will remian in production? The 14 pin dip version is obsolete.
Also for the SSM2166 the status column puts a contact ADI. It should
be either not reccomended for new designs, obsolete or in production.
I wonder if AD is considering obsoleting the part?

james

james
Old April 30th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 02:15:49 GMT, james wrote
in :

wrote:

+++On 29 Apr 2007 06:11:49 -0700, Telspam Electronics
wrote in
roups.com:
+++
+++On Apr 28, 9:47 pm, james wrote:
[...]

He hacked the design from a page I cited several years ago while
criticizing his earlier splatter-box. The only thought he had was how
he could get away with the theft of someone else's intellectual
property. His solution was to withhold the schematic. I guess he
didn't realize that his amp could be reverse-engineered... duh!!!

One thing is I am not going to pay
that price to see a schematic or reverse engineer it to see how it
works. Can do that from the specification.

Not for that price, for sure. But his latest hack? Yep! I'm going to
buy one and do a full -- and FAIR -- evaluation on my bench. I'm just
waiting for him to go into "full production".

The only thing that bothers me is this is based on an IC that has been
in production for at least 9 yrs. It cousin the SSM2165 has been
obsoleted by the SSM2167. From ADI webpage I wonder how long the
SSM2166 will remian in production?

I'm sure NTE will make replacements for ten times the original cost.

The 14 pin dip version is obsolete.
Also for the SSM2166 the status column puts a contact ADI. It should
be either not reccomended for new designs, obsolete or in production.
I wonder if AD is considering obsoleting the part?

Which is one reason why I avoid ASICs.

Old April 30th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Apr 29, 9:34 pm, Frank Gilliland
wrote:
One thing is I am not going to pay
that price to see a schematic or reverse engineer it to see how it
works. Can do that from the specification.

Frank, you keep reminding us what a fantastic engineer you are... I
really don't know why you couldn't just draw the schematic from the
picture I have at http://www.telstar-electronics.com/d...evelopment.htm
You should be able to do that with your eyes closed... lol

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old April 30th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Apr 29, 9:15 pm, james wrote:
The only thing that bothers me is this is based on an IC that has been
in production for at least 9 yrs. It cousin the SSM2165 has been
obsoleted by the SSM2167. From ADI webpage I wonder how long the
SSM2166 will remian in production? The 14 pin dip version is obsolete.
Also for the SSM2166 the status column puts a contact ADI. It should
be either not reccomended for new designs, obsolete or in production.
I wonder if AD is considering obsoleting the part?

You're right about the DIP being obsolete. This is not an indicator
that the SO will also go that route. I checked with Analog Devices
before starting this project and they said there are no plans to
discontinue at this time. Now, that really doesn't mean anything...
but if they discontinue... they discontinue. My opinion is that this
will not happen for perhaps five years. By the way... the "check with
ADI" on their site has to do with availability at this time. It seems
that this chip is undergoing a fab location change... probably moving
to China (where else) and the location is not ready. The lead time for
this chip right now is 36-38 weeks. It's fortunate I have plenty to
get started... since brokers are getting upwards of $10 a piece for
these right now.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old April 30th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On 30 Apr 2007 04:19:49 -0700, Telspam Electronics
wrote in
.com:

wrote:
One thing is I am not going to pay
that price to see a schematic or reverse engineer it to see how it
works. Can do that from the specification.

Frank, you keep reminding us what a fantastic engineer you are...

Wrong. I keep reminding -you- how bad an engineer -you- are. For
example.....

You've been spamming this group for over ten years now. In ten years
you could have earned the bare-minumum AAS degree in electronics,
which would have taken 2-3 years, leaving 7+ years to get some
practical experience. Or you could have earned a bachelor's degree in
electrical engineering and had 5+ years experience in a good-paying
job. Even if you took the time to earn a Master's degree you could be
2+ years into a -very- lucrative career. It works, Brian. I've done it
myself. I'm finishing up my Master's this summer, and just a couple
months ago I got back on the horse and found another job as a BE that
pays 42K/yr, which is 13K more than I was making at the other station.

Yet YOU chose to spend your time and money on a scheme that has netted
you nothing but problems and failure. You still live in your mommy's
house and depend on public tax dollars to feed your fat face. You have
no significant assets, no job security, and no means to support
yourself let alone a family. If there is a girl somewhere on the
planet that would have you it is only because she has less confidence
and self-worth than you. You are in no better position now than you
were 10 years ago. Just older. What a waste.

Yes, I -am- a "fantastic engineer"..... by your standards.

Old April 30th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

wrote:
[...]

LOL... Frank... you'll never change.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old April 30th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Frank Gilliland wrote

-snip good life lesson for Brian

I'm finishing up my Master's this summer, and just a couple
months ago I got back on the horse and found another job as a BE that
pays 42K/yr, which is 13K more than I was making at the other station.

Masters, that should really help the bottom line. Good job OM!

What happened to the SkyWave? Telstar Electronics CB 12 April 28th 07 04:16 AM
What happened to the SkyWave? Mike Hunt Equipment 6 April 27th 07 08:05 PM
What happened to the SkyWave? Mike Hunt Homebrew 6 April 27th 07 08:05 PM
SkyWave 2879ABTC... Slow Code General 2 August 4th 06 01:36 PM
SkyWave Amps jim CB 4 June 25th 04 03:54 AM