Old April 28th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default No reception

Greetings all.
I'm just dropping by to ask a question of the experts. I'm a newbie at
CB'ing. It's on my motorcycle, and I can't seem to receive anything. I
can transmit loud and clear, but nothing in the receive mode. I have
checked everything; volume, squelch, etc. SWR reads within proper
range. I have some corrosion around the antenna mount, but everything
else seems fine. All connections are solid, too. The most I'll get is
static and the indicator showing that a signal is coming in, but
nothing other than static.
Any ideas what could be causing me to be able to send but not receive?
Thank you in advance.

Old April 28th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

DonBeppino wrote:
Greetings all.
I'm just dropping by to ask a question of the experts. I'm a newbie at
CB'ing. It's on my motorcycle, and I can't seem to receive anything. I
can transmit loud and clear, but nothing in the receive mode. I have
checked everything; volume, squelch, etc. SWR reads within proper
range. I have some corrosion around the antenna mount, but everything
else seems fine. All connections are solid, too. The most I'll get is
static and the indicator showing that a signal is coming in, but
nothing other than static.
Any ideas what could be causing me to be able to send but not receive?
Thank you in advance.

Does another radio receive? Does that radio receive on another antenna.
Old April 28th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Apr 27, 11:01 pm, DonBeppino wrote:
Greetings all.
I'm just dropping by to ask a question of the experts. I'm a newbie at
CB'ing. It's on my motorcycle, and I can't seem to receive anything. I
can transmit loud and clear, but nothing in the receive mode. I have
checked everything; volume, squelch, etc. SWR reads within proper
range. I have some corrosion around the antenna mount, but everything
else seems fine. All connections are solid, too. The most I'll get is
static and the indicator showing that a signal is coming in, but
nothing other than static.
Any ideas what could be causing me to be able to send but not receive?
Thank you in advance.

If you hear static... this a sign that your receiver is operating to
some level.
I suggest you get another transmitter (walkie talkie would be fine)
and have someone broadcast nearby. Do you get anything now?

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old April 29th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On 28 Apr 2007 08:57:45 -0700, Telstar Electronics
wrote:

+++On Apr 27, 11:01 pm, DonBeppino wrote:
+++ Greetings all.
+++ I'm just dropping by to ask a question of the experts. I'm a newbie at
+++ CB'ing. It's on my motorcycle, and I can't seem to receive anything. I
+++ can transmit loud and clear, but nothing in the receive mode. I have
+++ checked everything; volume, squelch, etc. SWR reads within proper
+++ range. I have some corrosion around the antenna mount, but everything
+++ else seems fine. All connections are solid, too. The most I'll get is
+++ static and the indicator showing that a signal is coming in, but
+++ nothing other than static.
+++ Any ideas what could be causing me to be able to send but not receive?
+++ Thank you in advance.
+++
+++If you hear static... this a sign that your receiver is operating to
+++some level.
+++I suggest you get another transmitter (walkie talkie would be fine)
+++and have someone broadcast nearby. Do you get anything now?
+++
+++www.telstar-electronics.com

************

Well he said his signal indicator works so that should point to
something wrong from the AM detector stage to the speaker. IF the ole
S-meter is moving means the circuits from the antenna to the AM
detector is working to some degree.

I just wonder if the radio has one of those switches that selects
CB/PA. Those go bad and the ole s-meter could swing like a tree in a
hurricane and no audio out the speaker. I had an old realistic that
did that years back. Then again it cou ld be something simple like a
blow diode or a blown transistor. Maybe even a bad IC.

james
Old April 30th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 02:55:05 GMT, james wrote
in :

wrote:

[...]

I don't know if it's possible to still hear static when the detector
is bad, but I suppose it's possible. Either that or the receiver is
horribly out of alignment.

Old April 30th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:17:41 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

+++On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 02:55:05 GMT, james wrote
+++in :
+++
+++On 28 Apr 2007 08:57:45 -0700, Telstar Electronics
wrote:
+++
++++++On Apr 27, 11:01 pm, DonBeppino wrote:
++++++ Greetings all.
++++++ I'm just dropping by to ask a question of the experts. I'm a newbie at
++++++ CB'ing. It's on my motorcycle, and I can't seem to receive anything. I
++++++ can transmit loud and clear, but nothing in the receive mode. I have
++++++ checked everything; volume, squelch, etc. SWR reads within proper
++++++ range. I have some corrosion around the antenna mount, but everything
++++++ else seems fine. All connections are solid, too. The most I'll get is
++++++ static and the indicator showing that a signal is coming in, but
++++++ nothing other than static.
++++++ Any ideas what could be causing me to be able to send but not receive?
++++++ Thank you in advance.
++++++
++++++If you hear static... this a sign that your receiver is operating to
++++++some level.
++++++I suggest you get another transmitter (walkie talkie would be fine)
++++++and have someone broadcast nearby. Do you get anything now?
++++++
++++++www.telstar-electronics.com
+++************
+++
+++Well he said his signal indicator works so that should point to
+++something wrong from the AM detector stage to the speaker. IF the ole
+++S-meter is moving means the circuits from the antenna to the AM
+++detector is working to some degree.
+++
+++
+++I don't know if it's possible to still hear static when the detector
+++is bad, but I suppose it's possible. Either that or the receiver is
+++horribly out of alignment.
+++
+++

**************

The carbon pot for the volume control or squelch control could need
cleaning and as it is turned it could cause a crackling noise that
could be mistaken for static.

james
Old April 30th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 01:31:47 GMT, james wrote
in :

snip
The carbon pot for the volume control or squelch control could need
cleaning and as it is turned it could cause a crackling noise that
could be mistaken for static.

It could also be amp noise mistaken for radio static. He needs to take
it to a shop.

Old April 30th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Thanks, everyone. It looks like will have to pull the radio and take
it into a shop.

Old April 30th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

DonBeppino wrote:
Thanks, everyone. It looks like will have to pull the radio and take
it into a shop.

Do you have another radio to try in its place? Don't spend much on a CB
repair unless the radio is special to you.
Old May 1st 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Apr 30, 3:31 pm, Steveo wrote:
DonBeppino wrote:
Thanks, everyone. It looks like will have to pull the radio and take
it into a shop.

Do you have another radio to try in its place? Don't spend much on a CB
repair unless the radio is special to you.

No others. it's on my motorcycle. The actual radio is a little box
about the size of a thin paperback book. Made by Clarion for
motorcycles.

bad reception this a.m. uncle arnie Shortwave 10 September 12th 05 06:33 PM
BC 220 XLT reception Chuck Scanner 6 January 17th 05 02:44 AM
Getting better reception... OregonJR Dx 0 September 8th 04 06:23 PM
Best AM Reception MossadAgent86 Shortwave 47 May 17th 04 05:52 PM
best reception for DX-398? Incognito Shortwave 4 April 24th 04 07:42 AM