Old July 30th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default what's this about 30 ythrough 40 being ssb only?

What's all this about channels 30 through 40being ssb only?

I have listened for months and years here, in the U.S.,
and except for channel 38,every channel I hear, including
the upper channeels and channels 39 and 40
are all AM-only,

If you broadcast in SSB on channels 30 through 40 here, you
wil get chewed out by someone or many someones..

Unless you're using channel 38

It seems to me that the "gentlemen's aagreement" is
to use only AM on every cb channel except for channel 38.

Old July 30th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Jul 29, 5:54 pm, Anonymous wrote:
What's all this about channels 30 through 40being ssb only?

That's the gentleman's agreement in north america, yes.

I have listened for months and years here, in the U.S.,
and except for channel 38,every channel I hear, including
the upper channeels and channels 39 and 40
are all AM-only,

Your area is special. There's excpetions in parts of the country to
many of the gentleman's agreements, such as 17 being a local channel
in Oregon's Willamette Valley and the Columbia Gorge, predating the 17
North/South travel channel "rule."

If you broadcast in SSB on channels 30 through 40 here, you
wil get chewed out by someone or many someones..

Unless you're using channel 38

It seems to me that the "gentlemen's aagreement" is
to use only AM on every cb channel except for channel 38.

One of the sidebands (which one I can never remember and just flip
between the two until I hear traffic) on 38 is the de-facto sideband
calling frequency. Generally speaking, above 30 is sideband, below 30
is AM (though sometimes once in a blue moon people use FM if AM isn't
getting the job done, you don't want to run more than barefoot given
the distance, and the radios involved can run that mode).

Old July 30th 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Anonymous wrote:

What's all this about channels 30 through 40being ssb only?

I have listened for months and years here, in the U.S.,
and except for channel 38,every channel I hear, including
the upper channeels and channels 39 and 40
are all AM-only,

If you broadcast in SSB on channels 30 through 40 here, you
wil get chewed out by someone or many someones..

Unless you're using channel 38

It seems to me that the "gentlemen's aagreement" is
to use only AM on every cb channel except for channel 38.

well,
actually, per part 95, no frequency within the 11 meter class D band can be
exclusively for any specific mode. the SSB only thing is an
informal 'gentlemens agreement' setup years ago among the more advanced cb
operators to cut down on noise (hetrodynes, etc) on the upper chans.

for the most part, that agreement had held to this day. chan 19 is used for
the local trucking/comms (as well as some others) and a few of the truck
stops run radios and call drivers to their channels to present information
(traffic conditions, advertised specials on products/services, etc).

its not exactly well managed, but information does flow (if you can cut
through all the noise, especially on heavy skip days).

Old July 30th 07, 11:31 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Jul 29, 5:54 pm, Anonymous wrote:
What's all this about channels 30 through 40being ssb only?

That's the gentleman's agreement in north america, yes.

Actually it's channels 36 through 40.
Old August 4th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On 30 Jul 2007 10:31:37 GMT, Steveo wrote:

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Jul 29, 5:54 pm, Anonymous wrote:
What's all this about channels 30 through 40being ssb only?

That's the gentleman's agreement in north america, yes.

Actually it's channels 36 through 40.

Steveo is correct. The gentleman's agreement is channels 36 through
40 are reserved for sideband. It has been that way since 40 channel
CB's came out back in 1977. In the days of 23 channelCB radios
channel 16 was reserved for sideband by gentleman's agreement, but
channel 16 was pretty much abandoned by the sidebanders when the 40
channel radios came out. There is no official fcc law designating
sideband or am.