Old August 10th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default the difference between hams and cbers

On Aug 9, 9:04 pm, Stephen wrote:
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 02:25:57 +0000, Porgy Tirebiter wrote:
Well...it would be nice if new HAMS would LISTEN for a while.
For instance, HAMS have a *NAME* not a handle or "First Personal". I don't
know where that **** started.
If you are standing by, you are standing by!..not "on the side and 10-10"
If he is loud and clear he IS loud and clear or 5 by 9...NOT "10-8" or "Tree
top tall".
You are not "Barefoot" but running XX amount of power.
Get rid of the "Power mike" and Echo/noisemakers..that's a bunch of ****.
If you are "Mobile"..you ARE mobile..not 18-wheel mobile or trashtruck
mobile...just mobile. Exception..."Maritime or Aeronautical"but not a must.
Long "CQ's" are fine on HF or SSB, forget that **** on VHF/UHF.CQ on VHF/UHF
blows. Just announce you are listening.
Want to announce your out there? "W6XYZ" is monitoring. No KHZ-1234/the
feltcher is 10-8/10-10 and on the side...forget that ****!
Best thing is to *LISTEN*..when in Rome..do like the Romans....Speak
HAM..not CB.

Most of us are willing but as a lot of hams say is listen then transmit.
Well listening you hear a lot of hams use "Handle" or "First Personal" on
HF. I personally use "my name is ..." or "the name here is ...". I do
agree with not using 10 codes as I most HAMS I know have no clue what the
10 codes are (besides 10-4).

I don't know and never heard anyone use "first personal" although
frankly sine in some cricles of hams I am known not by my firstname
but my birth middle name "konstans" that is my CB handle and if
addressed by it on ham bands I would say it is still my "handle since
the engilish speaking world is hung up on having one and only one name

Ifrankly don't see the problem with either although I don't em much

I do say if that is sole beef with an OP you got no real beef

My main point is that in the classes they don't always teach that.

classes I have only once heard of classes accutaily being given

indeed in my first efforts in the 70's i never encoutroed clases in my
efforts to learn Morse Code (I failed then )

And if
they do its glossed over so if someone has been using the CB for years and
no one tells them otherwise they will have a problem. Now if they
continue to do it then yes they are a LID. This is especially true if
they don't take a class and just go to the government to write the test.
The jargon in Canada is only two questions out of 100 so getting them
wrong usually doesn't make much difference. Would learning code help?
Maybe. I'm in the process of banging through code just to say I have it
but am I going to use it much. Only time will tell.

This could drag on for a while so I'll wrap things up. Thanks for reading
my rant.

73
Stephen- Hide quoted text -