Old January 14th 09, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Soldering a PL-259

Butane? I know torch soldering sounds like overkill but it works if you're
quick enough to not melt the coax. Otherwise you need at least a 100w
electric gun.

Opinions?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old January 15th 09, 10:01 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Jan 14, 2:39*pm, Steve wrote:
Butane? I know torch soldering sounds like overkill but it works if you're
quick enough to not melt the coax. Otherwise you need at least a 100w
electric gun.

Opinions?

--
* * * * * * * * *http://NewsReader.Com/

my opinion, well not really....the truth is you are a fairy
Old January 15th 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Steve:

I will share with you what I know and my experiences.

Soldering the PL-259 Connectors is not an easy task, it takes some practice.

Yes you will a 100 watt iron or the heavy duty soldering gun 250 watts
or more. And plug it in and let get hot for around 5 to 10 minutes.

I use the Silver plated PL-259 Connectors well worth the extra cost to
allow for a quick and easy solder job. The nickel plated PL-259
connectors I don't use, but in a bind I will use a Chain Saw small round
file to open up the 4 soldering holes and expose the brass that is much
easier to solder to. Trying to solder to the nickel plating is dog ****.
And will get the PL-259 Connector tooooo toooo HOT!

Be sure that the coax center and shield wires are shiny and clean from
dirt and oil. DO NOT try to solder them if these wires are corroded or
dingy looking, a good indication the coax may have gotten water in it.
You might have to cut back the coax a foot or two to get to shiny copper
looking wires. If after cutting the coax back a foot or two and shield
wire is still looking not shiny I say get new coax. Or very easily
scrape off the none shiny coating off the coax wires.

I Tin the center wire of the Coax, or give it a quick lite application
of solder, then with a exzato knife I scrape the center wire of any left
over solder, allowing it to fit inside the PL-259 center pin.

There are many places on the net here that will show how the PL-259
should be soldered and how the coax should be stripped.

The important thing to remember is that you need to practice doing
soldering the PL-259 connectors. Its ok to get too much heat on the
connector at first, but you want to be able to get on the PL-259
connector with the coax and connector being held in a vice and make the
solder job of one of the holes and then get off. I also have a wet paper
towel to cool the PL-259 connector if I get too hot.

I file a small notch into the soldering iron tip to allow a small part
of the soldering iron tip to go inside the soldering holes of the PL-259
connector. This is a big help when you want to get on the connector
solder it, and get off right away. Coaxes like LMR 400 have a really
light weight dielectric material between the center and shield wire that
is easy to get too hot have a short in the coax. So being able to get
on, solder, and get the soldering iron off the PL-259 connector is
important.

I plan on putting a video on the web site showing how to solder the
PL-259 connectors.

Here's a few web sites for ya....
http://www.seed-solutions.com/gregor...SolderCoax.htm
http://www.hcarc.us/articles/solderi...connectors.htm
http://www.mgs4u.com/Connector-PL-259-guide.pdf

Jay in the Mojave

Old January 19th 09, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Jay,

You cannot say enough bad concerning nickel plated stuff. I'm unfortunate
enough to have one nickel plated audio plug. I've probably resoldered half
a dozen times (no decent iron to do it and I've got to replace the dang
thing). Unfortunately, Rat Shack doesn't carry much anymore (and that is
where I got that miserable plug in the first place!) and since manufacturing
has gone offshore, the last of the surplus places shut down last December.

Sigh. Internet Express, I guess

N connectors were a lot nicer

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

umnetworking...

Old January 24th 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Jay,

Thanks for the tips, have you tried butane yet? Quick hot-on and off- from
what I read, I've not tried it yet. I did buy a 120 watt weller gun for my
next attempt. I have a 500' spool of lmr-400 to practice, with good
connectors.

I'll prolly start with making jumpers between stuff until I get the hang
of it.

73
Steve

http://www.seed-solutions.com/gregor...rimentation/So

Old January 24th 09, 04:42 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Jim,

I need to upgrade my connections with my age and dog gonna it I'm slipping!

Oh well.

73
Steve

http://www.seed-solutions.com/gregor...perimentation/

Old January 24th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Jim Hampton" wrote:
Hello Jay,

You cannot say enough bad concerning nickel plated stuff. *I'm
unfortunate enough to have one nickel plated audio plug. *I've probably
resoldered half a dozen times (no decent iron to do it and I've got to
replace the dang thing). *Unfortunately, Rat Shack doesn't carry much
anymore (and that is where I got that miserable plug in the first place!)
and since manufacturing has gone offshore, the last of the surplus places
shut down last December.

Sigh. *Internet Express, I guess

N connectors were a lot nicer

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

"Jay in the Mojave" wrote in message
tumnetworking...
[...]

* * * * * * * * *http://NewsReader.Com/- Hide quoted text -

he is a faggot who watches his wife smear alpo on her ass

Problem with soldering gun David Thompson Homebrew 23 November 8th 05 12:36 AM
Soldering Suprise KØHB General 1 August 18th 04 12:18 AM
Soldering Suprise KØHB Policy 1 August 18th 04 12:18 AM
soldering with a lighter dave d Homebrew 8 April 27th 04 10:21 AM
soldering with a lighter dave d Homebrew 0 April 21st 04 02:38 AM