Old July 17th 03, 06:40 PM
Alan Lansburger

Default Pro-Star 400

Can anyone give some advise on this rig? Has anyone had any good or bad
experiences with it? I'm looking at it because I'm trying to fing an export
about the same size of the Midland 77-113 to fit into the dash board of my
car. Any suggestions?

Old July 19th 03, 09:28 PM
Alan Lansburger

I really appreciate your info and time. Thanks a lot. That's what I was
looking for.
"Steve Phillips" wrote in message
I believe it is in the same family as several similar radios including the
Eagle Sidewinder 400 which I recently purchased.

I am very happy with it.

I know someone who bout the Pro Star 400 then sold it to a friend.

The Eagle has a simple jumper setting which enables ten bands of 40

channels
as well as +5KHz and -5KHz.

It may actually be closer to the Magnum 257. The mod link on Bill's 2 Way
site sends you to the Magnum 257 page.
http://www.bills2way.com/modificatio...m_257_mod.html

It says "This modification applies to the Titan II RPSY-485 as well as the
Magnum 257, 357, 457, and the Superstar 4900 Mobile, and Pro-Star 400
Mobile.".

Personally I like it a lot better than my Galaxy 2100. It is small and

works
great. The Galaxy seems to require a lot more fidgeting, or maybe I just

do
it because it has a lot more to play with.

What I don't get are the "A" channels as they are called. It doesn't have

+10KHz switch like the Galaxy and some other radios.

I also have a similar radio, the Radio Shack TRC-485 which I moded to

access
the extra channels. The only problem is the VCO in the 485 is not

broadband
so it can only transmit on about 150-160 channels.

I am currently running a mobile D104 mic with the radio going through a
small amp into a Valor Half Breed mag mount antenna. It's a great setup.

Here is a link to a frequency table which includes the Pro Star 400.
http://cbshop.webtrix.net/freq-chart-master.htm

More info...

http://www.cbradioforum.com/messagev...o%20star%20400

Steve

Old July 21st 03, 02:21 PM
Train

"valmont" wrote in message
om...
"Alan Lansburger" wrote in message

. ..
Just one more thing, what are the "A" channels for?

Illegal inbetweens. Using them causes splatter to those on legal
channels.

Speaking of splatter, somebody should smack the **** out of you........It
was a simple question you had to change into some personal gripe you have
with how others use their radios.

The "A" channels were and are still used as remote control frequencies for
RC cars and boats for the most part. They were not intended for plane use.
Train

Old July 22nd 03, 03:16 AM
valmont

(Twistedhed) wrote in message ...
From:
(valmont)
_
Illegal inbetweens. Using them causes splatter
to those on legal channels.

Total bull****. This clown has no clue concerning radio theory,
especially where 27 MHZ is concerned relating to cb and HF.
Speaking on, say, 26.995, will cause no more "splatter" than speaking
on any other "legal" frequency.
Same with the "off" channels. If your
radio is not causing a splatter or bleed problem on the regular
channels, the freeband channels

There are no "freeband channels" except in your mind.

will not cause or increase "splatter" in
any manner whatsoever. The above cb voo-doo claim was
made,,,well,,merely look at the posting access and email.....LOL.

Come back from cloud-cukoo-land. Those frequencies are not authorized
for voice comms, therefore they can cause interference to legal users
on adjacent channels. Better to operate legally and considerately.

Here is a link to a frequency table which
includes the Pro Star 400.
http://cbshop.webtrix.net/freq-chart-master.htm
_
No mention of where it's legal to transmit in
this chart.

No need for it. Most aren't as clueless as yourself.

Alan Lansburger didn't know where the ham bands begin and end. There
are probably others that don't know. Why discourage the free flow of
accurate information? I thought you were against censorship, Twisty?
Old July 22nd 03, 03:03 PM
Twistedhed

From: (valmont)
(Twistedhed) wrote in message
From:
(valmont)
"Alan Lansburger" wrote in message
. .. Just one more
thing, what are the "A" channels for?
_
Illegal inbetweens. Using them causes splatter
to those on legal channels.

Total bull****. This clown has no clue concerning radio theory,
especially where 27 MHZ is concerned relating to cb and HF.
=A0=A0Speaking on, say, 26.995, will cause no more "splatter" than
speaking on any other "legal" frequency.
Same with the "off" channels. If your
radio is not causing a splatter or bleed problem on the regular
channels, the freeband channels

There are no "freeband channels" except in

your mind.

There are a myriad of freeband channels. Delusions and wishing and
denial will not make them any less real.
_
the freeband channels will not cause or increase "splatter" in
any manner whatsoever. The above cb voo-doo claim was
made,,,well,,merely look at the posting access and email.....LOL.

Come back from cloud-cukoo-land.

Try and make an honest claim.

Those frequencies are not authorized for voice
comms, therefore they can cause interference

to legal users on adjacent channels.

Really? Kindly explain to the masses how operating on 26.995 or 22a
"causes" more splatter than the legal channels.....go on now,,,,we're
all ears.

Better to operate legally and considerately.

You don't act considerably in here,,,you act just like what you profess
to be against on the air.....your choice of which medium you should obey
rules and act "considerate" is hypocritical.
Clean your own backyard prior to telling others how to operate.

_
(Here is a link to a frequency table which includes the Pro Star 400.
http://cbshop.webtrix.net/freq-chart-master.htm )
_
No mention of where it's legal to transmit in

this chart.

No need for it. Most aren't as clueless as yourself.

Alan Lansburger didn't know where the ham

bands begin and end.

Mind reading, are you? LOL.

There are probably others that don't know.

Probably? LOL...after all these years, you nor the lying (hypocrite)Hall
have not been able to cite a single newbe you claim "may be on the
fence"..LOL.

Why discourage the free flow of accurate

information? I thought you were against

censorship, Twisty?

Of course I am against censorship. I was merely pointing out how
troubling it is for you to remain on topic. Again, only yourself and a
few other lids need constantly reminded of rules and legalities because
your retainment value is nill. Since you have demonstrated a plethora of
posts that are wrong in technical nature, incorrect in the nature of
legalities, and deliberately wrong about cb and HF ( as above) and you
can not place into practice the communicative techniques you ask of
others, your hypocrisy shines.

Old July 23rd 03, 04:39 PM
Twistedhed

From: (valmont)
(Twistedhed) wrote in message
Really? Kindly explain to the masses how operating on 26.995 or 22a
"causes" more splatter than the legal channels.....go on now,,,,we're
all ears.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0
=A0You know perfectly well what adjacent

channel interference means, but you have put

on your clown suit and begun feigning

ignorance, sensing an opportunity to

misinterpret and play word games.

Not at all. I know "perfectly well" what you were attempting, and it was
shot down before it had a chance. For the record, you mentioned no
"adjacent channel interference", but let's work with that. How can
operating on 22a cause anymore "splatter" OR (to settle your
rising-anger) "adjacent channel interference" than operating on 22? No
word games, just you doing the frankie-stein shuffle. Operating on said
channels causes no more "splatter" "interference" or (ahem) "adjacent
channel interference" than any other legal channel. Period. Now, isn't
it about time you become personal with me? I mean, that is what you do
when crow is force-fed you.

On the

unrelated topic,

Nah,,you already distanced and removed yourself from your original claim
as far as possible.

like Dave Hall,

Dave Hall isn't off-topic..he's responsible for much of the malice in
here and web2news posts.

or latchkey kids

So that's why you spend so much time at the pc..it's your babysitter and
you learn from us.

or Marine Corps retirement policy.

Nah,,that was Gillinad's lie.

And since you still don't know how to quote,

the thread will eventually look like alphabet

soup with no way to tell who said what.

Only because you can't remain with a decent newsreader because you keep
losing services for conduct unbecoming a human because you have a lack
of self-control that rivals an animal.

All this fuss because you must defend the

concept of not following the rules. Wouldn't it

be simpler to operate legally?

All this fuss because I refuse to answer OR justify my actions to lids
like yourself. Get over your bad self...LOL!

Old July 23rd 03, 05:18 PM
sideband

Uh... quick question.... 22a is 10kc up from 22, just as 19a is 10kc
up from 19, right? 22 is 27.225, 23 is 27.255, 24 is 27.235, 25 is
27.245, and 26 is 27.265. So 22a would be the same channel as 24,
wouldn't it?

Or have I missed something?

-SSB