Old July 22nd 03, 02:47 AM
Harry Poulos

Default CB Tune up and Modification reports.......

This is a nice information package which contains information to make basic
reciever, transmitter,modulation and frequency adjustments, as well as mike
repairs. All adjustments except those related to frequency can easily be
made without any expensive special equipment. Usually all you need is the
S/RF meter on the radio itself, a "dummy load", and possibly another CB or
walkie-talkie tuned to the same channel. This information package is
intended to help the technician to maintain the CB radio in peak condition,
and to restore a modified radio to proper operating condition by
understanding how many of the more common modifications are made. This
package has in depth information on the Realistic TRC-451 and the Cobra
19GTL plus other radios. Includes schematics, parts lists, calibration
settings and reports on the above mentioned radios. This is a must
information package for any CB hobbyist to have in his or her shack. Click
below for more information.....

Old July 22nd 03, 05:03 PM
CBer

I thought a tune up was changing the oil, and replacing the spark plugs.

NOW you to now can be the first on your block to screw up CBs.

From: (Scott Unit 69)
You, too, can be a truckstop screwdriver

wizard...

_
Hey, even cb'ers need techs.....

Old July 22nd 03, 06:11 PM
Scott Unit 69

You, too, can be a truckstop screwdriver wizard...

Hey, even cb'ers need techs.....

I thought a tune up was changing the oil, and replacing the spark plugs.
NOW you to now can be the first on your block to screw up CBs.

Did you notice the radios listed in that book are over 20 years old?
They need real techs by now, not a screwdriver wizard. I'd like to
see him fix up the TRC-451 I've got using that book. He'd have to
buy the radio from me first, 'cause it won't be usable when I get
it back!!! Let's see, no AM modulation, VR10 makes no difference.
RX audio starts to "tear". Need to turn radio off & on to fix. It
has a great receive, beats my PC-122, but the 122 works on AM, &
the audio doesn't "tear" (pronounced like "tare"), but needs a
preamp to hear stuff far away. Too much LO, perhaps?

It's a mute point, CB has so much f-ing noise and skip. I barely
turn it on for more then a minute. No need to. All the locals
went ham. Nice and clear on 2 meter simplex, no skip, bleedover
or DaveMade AH's to deal with. The ones here are assholes. All
that power must turn their brain to jello.

I would like to be able to use my CB again if mother nature ever
sends the Mexicans back home. The Senorita says 2 words with an
off frequency radio that drifts when she keys, and has a roger
beep. Listen to that for a few minutes. Then there's the Latino
with a humming power supply that's awful to hear with a BFO on it...

However, I won't touch Echolink. IRLP is an RF only input.
Old July 22nd 03, 07:27 PM
Twistedhed

From: (Scott=A0Unit=A069)
_

(You, too, can be a truckstop screwdriver wizard... )

Hey, even cb'ers need techs.....

(I thought a tune up was changing the oil, and replacing the spark
plugs. NOW you to now can be the first on your block to screw up CBs.)
_
Did you notice the radios listed in that book

are over 20 years old? They need real techs

by now, not a screwdriver wizard. I'd like to

see him fix up the TRC-451 I've got using that

book. He'd have to buy the radio from me first,
'cause it won't be usable when I get it back!!!

"TRC" as in "Radio Shack"?
Hmm...I have been under the impression the older rat shacks models are
some of the easiest to tune, mod, peak, repair,,,whatever...perhaps I'm
just lucky and my techs are all super techs.

Let's see, no AM modulation, VR10 makes no

difference.

Ahh,.... it appears you are trying to RE-fix a radio where someone has
already been inside......I would guess this would be very different as
opposed to going into a stock virgin radio.

RX audio starts to "tear". Need to

turn radio off & on to fix. It has a great receive,
beats my PC-122, but the 122 works on AM, &
the audio doesn't "tear" (pronounced like

"tare"),

but needs a preamp to hear stuff far away.

Too much LO, perhaps?

It's a mute point, CB has so much f-ing noise

and skip. I barely turn it on for more then a

minute. No need to. All the locals went ham.

Nice and clear on 2 meter simplex, no skip,

bleedover or DaveMade AH's to deal with. The
ones here are assholes. All that power must

turn their brain to jello.

That's the mind-set many cb DXers take when approached by hammies who
sing the virtues of their service (hammie radio) by attempting to
compare it to a service (cb) that is totally different in an attempt to
elevate their own status. Otherwise, there is no comparison at all. Many
LIKE the DX,,,LOVE the DX on 11 meter, and the only reason some are into
cb is for HF DX. Talking everyday with the help of repeaters quickly
takes the fun out of long distance communications, for many HF DX
enthusiasts, and many simply do not give a damn about hammie radio.
CBers, collectively, do not tend to mention or concern themselves with
hammie radio. Wonder why the opposite doesn't hold true? Nevertheless,
it's good you found a medium of communication that lends you what you
have been missing on cb. For many others, cb is it,,,there is no
interest in hammie radio. Some intellectually-challenged folks have a
problem with this and feel since one is not interested in hammie radio,
one is somehow "beneath" those who who are. THAT'S really gonna add to
the hammie numbers....can't help but howl at those who share that view.

I would like to be able to use my CB again if

mother nature ever sends the Mexicans back

home. The Senorita says 2 words with an off

frequency radio that drifts when she keys, and
has a roger beep. Listen to that for a few

minutes.

One word: "Beam"

Then there's the Latino with a humming power
supply that's awful to hear with a BFO on it...

However, I won't touch Echolink. IRLP is an

RF only input.

Depending on the TRC unit you own, either 22 or 39 other channels are
available. Between this and a beam, there are many avenues of escape.
When the aggravation factor sets in concerning what one hears on the
air, no matter what service one uses, it's time to shut it off.

Old July 22nd 03, 09:47 PM
Scott Unit 69

see him fix up the TRC-451 I've got using that

book. He'd have to buy the radio from me first,
'cause it won't be usable when I get it back!!!

"TRC" as in "Radio Shack"?
Hmm...I have been under the impression the older rat shacks models are
some of the easiest to tune, mod, peak, repair,,,whatever...perhaps I'm
just lucky and my techs are all super techs.

The TRC-451 is a Cobra 146 in a different package.

Let's see, no AM modulation, VR10 makes no

difference.

Ahh,.... it appears you are trying to RE-fix a radio where someone has
already been inside......I would guess this would be very different as
opposed to going into a stock virgin radio.

This and a broken Lafayette LMS-40 were picked up broken for $10
my years ago. The Lafayette is a 9.5. The TRC is weathered
badly enough for green corrosion to show on the front. A few screws
had to be drilled out when I got it. When I get the bugs out of it
(someday, it's not too important to me), I'll take it to the local
tech that fixes anything (State Police radio tech) for a complete
factory alignment. It's not worth his going rate to fix it. Besides,
I need that experience!!!

LIKE the DX,,,LOVE the DX on 11 meter, and the only reason some are into
cb is for HF DX. Talking everyday with the help of repeaters quickly
takes the fun out of long distance communications, for many HF DX
enthusiasts, and many simply do not give a damn about hammie radio.
CBers, collectively, do not tend to mention or concern themselves with
hammie radio. Wonder why the opposite doesn't hold true? Nevertheless,
it's good you found a medium of communication that lends you what you
have been missing on cb. For many others, cb is it,,,there is no
interest in hammie radio. Some intellectually-challenged folks have a
problem with this and feel since one is not interested in hammie radio,
one is somehow "beneath" those who who are. THAT'S really gonna add to
the hammie numbers....can't help but howl at those who share that view.

Skip will die down, some year. My CB will get more use. Right now,
it's pretty useless for local talking. Skip has gotten boring over
the past 26 years. Same noise, different screamer. :

Depending on the TRC unit you own, either 22 or 39 other channels are
available. Between this and a beam, there are many avenues of escape.
When the aggravation factor sets in concerning what one hears on the
air, no matter what service one uses, it's time to shut it off.

The only 23 channel radio I have is a Regency Range Gain. Mid 60's
tube model, crystal synth mixing. It's about a 6 or 7. Original mike!

I turn my CB on when I'm out. It only takes a minute before some
Mexican or trucker or bleedover turns my receive to trash. CLICK.
I try again 10 or 20 minutes later. Repeat cycle, ad nausium,

BTW, if I change channel, how will we find each other besides
2 meter simplex?
Old July 23rd 03, 12:03 AM
Jim Hampton

Twist,

Your comment to Scott about the 'holier than thou' is well taken. Now, I'll
put you in your place concerning tuning up a radio. I turn on the
entertainment center, punch up 91.3, and there is WGMC - nice jazz station -
presto, I'm tuned up. For those who don't understand, go to
rec.radio.amateur.policy or rec.radio.amateur.misc. Oh well, hope the
fishing is going well for ya!

Why is it that so many folks just can't seem to get along or at least leave
others alone? Oh well ...

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim
ps - if you need further info on tuning a radio, just let me know heheheeeee
BTW, I will stick up for Scott. The dude is helping others. Really. Not
everyone is as one sided as some of the folks I (or you) refer to.
Unfortunately, a few *idiots* on one side or the other of the 'fence' give
bad names to the rest. Tickle easy!

From: (CBer)
I thought a tune up was changing the oil, and

replacing the spark plugs.

That's your bad. Stick around,,you can learn even more.

NOW you to now can be the first on your block
to screw up CBs.

How can you profess to knowing what can "screw up" a cb when you don't
even know what a radio tune-up consists of? Ahh..never mind.....LOL.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old July 23rd 03, 12:47 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , "Jim Hampton"
wrote:

Twist,

Your comment to Scott about the 'holier than thou' is well taken.

snip

Jim, Twisty is right that some hammies have a holier-than-thou attitude, but
it's held mostly by hammies like Twisty who use it as an excuse to operate
outside the limits of their license. I hope you are not agreeing with him in
that respect.

Old July 23rd 03, 03:24 AM
CBer

Lets face it , if there was a GOOD CB built, Not the Uniden,cobra, or any of
the other crap on the market as of now , there would not be any reason for
any Tweak or Peak.
Most AMers Like to be LOUD, and SWING.
Put in a mic circuit like is used in FM equiment ( a audio clipper,and
low pass filter) feeding to a modulation adjustment, it will sound LOUD,
without needing audio compressors as used in all CBs today that techs cut
out causing overmodulation.