Old August 13th 03, 02:46 AM
Shadow 998

Default Johnson 223 Help

Hello. I have two Johnson 223 tube type CBs, and they both have the same
problem. They'll run fine for a while, then the radio pops and the receive
drops out. It may be out for minutes, hours or days, and then pop, it comes
back in. It is the same on all channels. I have been frustrated trying to
figure this one out for several years now. BTW; it is not an audio problem
and transmit is unaffected. I have swapped out all the tubes to no avail.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on with these radios?

Thank you.

Russ

Old August 13th 03, 03:49 AM

"Shadow 998" wrote in message
.com...
Hello. I have two Johnson 223 tube type CBs, and they both have the same
problem. They'll run fine for a while, then the radio pops and the

receive
drops out. It may be out for minutes, hours or days, and then pop, it

comes
back in. It is the same on all channels. I have been frustrated trying

figure this one out for several years now. BTW; it is not an audio

problem
and transmit is unaffected. I have swapped out all the tubes to no avail.

Find someone to check all the tubes will fix it.

Old August 13th 03, 05:12 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , wrote:

wrote:
"Shadow 998" wrote in message
.com...
Hello. I have two Johnson 223 tube type CBs, and they both have the
same problem. They'll run fine for a while, then the radio pops and
the

receive
drops out. It may be out for minutes, hours or days, and then pop, it

comes
back in. It is the same on all channels. I have been frustrated
trying

figure this one out for several years now. BTW; it is not an audio

problem
and transmit is unaffected. I have swapped out all the tubes to no
avail.

Find someone to check all the tubes will fix it.

What part of "I have swapped out all the tubes to no
avail", did you not understand?

It might be a relay. Sparky is the guy to ask.

Thanks for the heads-up.

The problem could be any one of several different issues. The first thing to
check is the mic and/or relay contacts which may just be dirty. But I doubt
that's the problem. Another possibility is the audio transformer: like most
radios built at that time, the audio transformer doubled as both the speaker
output and modulation transformer. But the 223 was unique in that it had
seperate windings for each purpose. So the speaker output winding could go out
and you still have modulation, or vice-versa. But again, I doubt that's the
problem.....

The big issue with the 223 was their frequency synth board. The PC board itself
was cheap phenolic crap, the type of early stuff where the traces and pads fall
off if you hold down the soldering iron two seconds too long. Johnson probably
didn't realize that the heat from the tubes would degrade the boards over time.
Anyway, most problems with the 223 are in that board, and I'm betting that's
where the problem is with those radios. There are no replacement boards that I
know of, and repair is tricky (because they are so sensitive to heat). Even if
you can fix it, the chances of it going bad again very soon are very high.

If someone is ambitious, one could strip a good board, scan it, then make and
market some new blanks using a good glass/epoxy material.

Old August 13th 03, 02:41 PM
BigBill

Also look at the IF coils, sometimes they go interment open.

"Damn Straight" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:46:27 GMT, "Shadow 998"
wrote:

Hello. I have two Johnson 223 tube type CBs, and they both have the same
problem. They'll run fine for a while, then the radio pops and the

receive
drops out. It may be out for minutes, hours or days, and then pop, it

comes
back in. It is the same on all channels. I have been frustrated trying

figure this one out for several years now. BTW; it is not an audio

problem
and transmit is unaffected. I have swapped out all the tubes to no

avail.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on with these radios?

Thank you.

Russ

Maybe it's time to swap out all those old lytics for some fresh ones?
while it's open, be sure to vacuum out all the dead cockroaches, clean
the relay contacts, and other switches (channel selector etc.).
My favorite Johnson was the whiteface shoebox:
http://tinyurl.com/jv71
Not that it was anything special electronically,
just seems to trigger some nostalgic nerve. g