Old August 18th 03, 06:59 PM
Bert Craig

Default SGC ADSP2 Board w/Uniden Grant XL

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well. A while back, I'd mentioned that I'd QSO'd with a
gent who was using a DSP board. Well, I had to try it out for myself and had
SGC install their ADSP2 board into my Uniden Grant XL.

Some may say that it's like installing dual Weber side-draft 2 bbl. carbs on
a Ford Pinto 4 cyl. engine. (Actually that's been done.) Why do it? Because
I can, that's why. ;-)

Actually, the base receiver of the Grant XL is a very good platform to begin
with. It's the same chassis/board as the venerable Cobra 2000 GTL with the
same great receiver. I'd already added CBCI's Channel Guard IF filter with
good results, increased ACR. (Adjacent Channel Rejection) The ADSP2 installs
further down in the receiver chain so one doesn't interfere with the other.
(No pun intended) :-)

Well, upon powering up the radio and cycling the two microswitchs through
their positions, one thing became immediately clear...I was going to be one
VERY happy camper. There are three filter settings; voice, CW1, and CW2 as
well as two levels of DSP, hence the two microswitches. Of course, each can
be turned off completely. I find that the first DSP level is quite
sufficient and the voice filter is rarely even needed. However, when the
signal-to-noise ratio becomes unbearable, (As it has recently in this locale
on both 10m and 11m.) it's nice to be able to "kick" the filtering level up
a notch (Again, no pun intended.) or two.

Is it kinda pricey? Yeah, but it's no more than what many seem willing to
shell out for an amplifier and its 100% legal. Here's the website. Hope this
heps some of you, take care. :-)

www.sgcworld.com

--
73 de Bert
WA2SI

Old August 18th 03, 08:58 PM
Bert Craig

"The2x4" wrote in message
Please tell us Bert that you are gonna put the thing in a better radio?

No need, it's desktop companions are a Yaesu FT-840 through a Timewave
DSP-599zx and an Elecraft K2. (Top dog receiver.) I'm kinda considering a
Ten-Tec Orion if the tax man is particularly good to me next year. :-)
There's just no emoticon for a $hit-eatin' grin.

$180 invested into a Grant CB. Seems way overkill. The radio is worth

about
$80 mint.

I bought the rig brand spankin' new for $124.95 on a close-out special. (Not
eBay!)

Whatever its yo' money.

Yup, some things you just can't put a price on.

Hey did you notice the ADSP unit is $180? The speaker is only $130. Ohhh
I see now. The speaker is called a ADSP speaker but doesn't have ADSP in

it.
That can't be right........ Tell me there IS a ADSP unit in the speaker

for
$130. That is $50 cheaper.

Not really sure, however, I wanted the board installed directly in the
receiver chain...not after. I've also used the ClearSpeech DSP external
speaker. The ADSP2 installation sounds much better and is more versatile wrt
the various levels of filtering.

The2x4

--
73 de Bert
WA2SI

.net...

Old August 19th 03, 04:57 AM
The2x4

Ain't no need to continue. Shame that ya' joining the appliance operators
group.
The noise and pullin' 'em out of da noise makes for an excellent operators.

Using micros to sift out the QRN don't do much
for keeping the ol' brain working at using 2 hands an' a more stimulating
between the eyes natural decision making.

Dial rotating, hand on the volume, listening for that S1 in the noise.
DSP......Ain't no honor in 'dat my friend.

Still glad you like QRP. Me too.

Carl
N9EFJ

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
.net...

Old August 19th 03, 12:18 PM
Dave Hall

Bert Craig wrote:

[...]

helps some of you, take care. :-)

Hi Bert!

Glad to hear that this was a worthwhile experiment. That was always the
best part of CB for me, the experimentation factor. I wish more people
would play with their receivers, rather than the transmitters. It'd be a
whole lot cleaner out there.....

Have you done any parametric testing, or has all of your testing been
subjective, on-air stuff? I'd love to see some hard data, on the degree
of improvement over stock.

Is this practical? Well, you certainly could get a ham quality receiver,
which would probably do it a bit better, for only an incidental increase
in price. But you wouldn't have the satisfaction of saying "i done it".

The question of legality is also interesting. On the one hand, the FCC
takes a dim view (I.E. it's usually illegal) of ANY mods to a type
accepted radio. In practice though, it's usually the transmitter that
they're most concerned with. You could always use one modded receiver
for receive, and another unmodded radio to transmit, and that would be
legal.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

Old August 19th 03, 05:56 PM
Bert Craig

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
Bert Craig wrote:

[...]

Hey Dave.

Glad to hear that this was a worthwhile experiment. That was always the
best part of CB for me, the experimentation factor. I wish more people
would play with their receivers, rather than the transmitters. It'd be a
whole lot cleaner out there.....

Thank, Dave. I was never into power increasing or freq. expansion mods,
however, I too am not without sin. More on that later. 0:-)

Have you done any parametric testing, or has all of your testing been
subjective, on-air stuff? I'd love to see some hard data, on the degree
of improvement over stock.

No, I haven't...which is pretty much why I had SGC perform the installation
and testing. After speaking with the folks at SGC, I knew that they had the
equipment to not only get it done...but "get it done right!"

Is this practical?

Nope, but that was part of the allure.

Well, you certainly could get a ham quality receiver,
which would probably do it a bit better, for only an incidental increase
in price. But you wouldn't have the satisfaction of saying "i done it".

Exactamundo!

The question of legality is also interesting. On the one hand, the FCC
takes a dim view (I.E. it's usually illegal) of ANY mods to a type
accepted radio. In practice though, it's usually the transmitter that
they're most concerned with.

I take a common sense approach. While I'm reasonably certain that the
receiver mods are 100% legal, I do have an on-board speech processor
installed. I use the SP-1a and I'm very pleased with the resulting audio. I
could've gone with Astatic's external model, but since even the addition of
an amplified mic can (and has) be arguably construed as a modification to
the type-accepted transmitter section, and thus technically illegal, I chose
to apply a little common sense here as well, Thus the rig is clean, clear,
and I'm quite comfy operating it at it's whopping 12 Watts P.E.P. (What's
AM?) HOWEVER, a stock Grant LT also sits right next to it. ;-)

You could always use one modded receiver
for receive, and another unmodded radio to transmit, and that would be
legal.

Truth is, I'm one of those folks who listen 99.99% of the time and transmit
the other 0.01%. Except between 7.1 and 7.15 MHz on the Novice/Tech"+"
sub-band. Tryin' to get my "key" on. :-)

Take care and thanks for the comments.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

--