Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 18th 03, 06:59 PM
Bert Craig

Default SGC ADSP2 Board w/Uniden Grant XL

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well. A while back, I'd mentioned that I'd QSO'd with a
gent who was using a DSP board. Well, I had to try it out for myself and had
SGC install their ADSP2 board into my Uniden Grant XL.

Some may say that it's like installing dual Weber side-draft 2 bbl. carbs on
a Ford Pinto 4 cyl. engine. (Actually that's been done.) Why do it? Because
I can, that's why. ;-)

Actually, the base receiver of the Grant XL is a very good platform to begin
with. It's the same chassis/board as the venerable Cobra 2000 GTL with the
same great receiver. I'd already added CBCI's Channel Guard IF filter with
good results, increased ACR. (Adjacent Channel Rejection) The ADSP2 installs
further down in the receiver chain so one doesn't interfere with the other.
(No pun intended) :-)

Well, upon powering up the radio and cycling the two microswitchs through
their positions, one thing became immediately clear...I was going to be one
VERY happy camper. There are three filter settings; voice, CW1, and CW2 as
well as two levels of DSP, hence the two microswitches. Of course, each can
be turned off completely. I find that the first DSP level is quite
sufficient and the voice filter is rarely even needed. However, when the
signal-to-noise ratio becomes unbearable, (As it has recently in this locale
on both 10m and 11m.) it's nice to be able to "kick" the filtering level up
a notch (Again, no pun intended.) or two.

Is it kinda pricey? Yeah, but it's no more than what many seem willing to
shell out for an amplifier and its 100% legal. Here's the website. Hope this
heps some of you, take care. :-)

www.sgcworld.com

--
73 de Bert