Old August 27th 03, 02:03 PM
Clare Quilty

Default Please help! Strange power/radio problems in my apartment!

Hi there,

I have a very odd problem that I am hoping some kind soul out there can help
me with. It has puzzled the minds of electricians here in Brighton for some
time!

Basically whenever a taxi goes past my apartment and receives a message, I
get a loud thumping sound from my subwoofer. I initially thought it was the
subwoofer itself picking up the noise, but since I bought a wireless network
transmitter which is plugged in on the same loop, it resets itself at the
same time as the sub clicks.

To eliminate the possibility of the two causing the prob I have run them
separately and the same thing happens! Sure enough as I run to the window, I
see a taxi going off into the distance (too few here for it to be a
coincidence, but too many to make my life and movie watching a misery!).
Also when there was a fire engine opposite and they were talking back to
their base, I could hear every single word (loudly!) through the subwoofer.
It seems that it is spiking my power supply! BTW I live close (a block) from
two different taxi companies with masts. I don't know if that is related.

What can I do? Any ideas or help are greatly appreciated. Many thanks in
advance!

Best,

Tony

P.S. To reply to me you will have to knock one of the words out after the
"@" in my address - just make it the name of a very popular web based email
service and it will get through

Old August 27th 03, 02:14 PM
Radioman

Basically whenever a taxi goes past my apartment and receives a message, I
get a loud thumping sound from my subwoofer. I initially thought it was the
subwoofer itself picking up the noise, but since I bought a wireless network
transmitter which is plugged in on the same loop, it resets itself at the
same time as the sub clicks.

Youre wireing is being an ariel and picking up the VHF/UHF FM which the
only amplitude change is the carrier turning on or off. Thats the thump.
Old August 27th 03, 04:58 PM
Dave or Debby

The THUMP is the taxi's calling you to TAKE a TAXI--he is advertising to
you. So call them up and take the taxi and the problem will go away! But
the next problem is that you will go away also! So then you will have to
click your heels together like Dorothy did and say "there's NO place like
home." Then go home and buy a CB radio and cause a thump in the taxi's
radio! Then they won't do that when they go by!

. ..

Old August 27th 03, 07:59 PM
Twistedhed

From: (Clare=A0Quilty)
Hi there,
[...]
_
Wireless transmitter? Are your speakers remote wireless? If so, there
is your problem.