Old August 29th 03, 01:33 PM
Joe

Default new cb recommendations?

I've owned several cb's in the past and have had extremely good
transmission/reception with my old ratshack unit. It is probably
15-20 years old. It's dead now and I don't want to fix it because
a new unit is so cheap. I've been looking at the uniden PC68XL and
the other uniden units above it esp the PC78LTW. Questions...

1. Although the weather capabilities are neat do they detract in any
way of the performance (transmission/reception) of the unit?

2. I have room for a full size unit in my pickup but I may put a unit
in my explorer too where size is limited. Are the uniden compact radios
any good?

3. If I'd like to get 20-30 miles range (assuming a mod) is any of
the unidens better to mod than others.

Old August 29th 03, 05:36 PM
Radioman

Joe wrote:

I've owned several cb's in the past and have had extremely good
transmission/reception with my old ratshack unit. It is probably
15-20 years old. It's dead now and I don't want to fix it because
a new unit is so cheap. I've been looking at the uniden PC68XL and
the other uniden units above it esp the PC78LTW. Questions...

1. Although the weather capabilities are neat do they detract in any
way of the performance (transmission/reception) of the unit?

No.

2. I have room for a full size unit in my pickup but I may put a unit
in my explorer too where size is limited. Are the uniden compact radios
any good?

So so.

3. If I'd like to get 20-30 miles range (assuming a mod) is any of
the unidens better to mod than others.

Bwwwaaaaaaa!!! Base to base on a quiet day, good luck mobile.
You could do that on sideband with full size antennas, no short
stuff. Cheap radio and a great antenna work better then a good
radio and crap antenna.
Old August 29th 03, 06:17 PM
Joe

Radioman wrote:
snip
3. If I'd like to get 20-30 miles range (assuming a mod) is any of
the unidens better to mod than others.

Bwwwaaaaaaa!!! Base to base on a quiet day, good luck mobile.
You could do that on sideband with full size antennas, no short
stuff. Cheap radio and a great antenna work better then a good
radio and crap antenna.

So you're saying 20-30 miles is very unlikely with a mod?

Old August 29th 03, 08:16 PM

1. Although the weather capabilities are neat do they detract in any
way of the performance (transmission/reception) of the unit?

No

2. I have room for a full size unit in my pickup but I may put a unit
in my explorer too where size is limited. Are the uniden compact radios
any good?

Yes

3. If I'd like to get 20-30 miles range (assuming a mod) is any of
the unidens better to mod than others.

Big question mark here. Noise, atmospheric and man made determine
your distance. At night when it's whisper quiet you can easily talk 20
- 30 miles.
Old August 29th 03, 08:44 PM
Joe

I realize that stuff affects range. What I'm asking is... If
I were to want to mod the unit to get better range (say 20-30 miles)
would a certain model be better/easier to mod than another.

snip