Old August 29th 03, 01:37 PM
Joe

Default what is ssb?

I'm looking for a new cd (that's in a different thread) but
I forgot to ask... I've never owned an SSB unit. What exactly
will an ssb unit do for me? Does that just give you more channels?

Old August 29th 03, 04:23 PM
Trs1

SSB (USB/LSB) is a different mode of transmission like a AM/FM radio
but with different characteristics. SSB Has no Carrier. Alot of people
consider USB/LSB different channels, but they are wrong. SSB radios
use the same channels as AM, a kc difference +/-, Just a different
mode. So if you get a 40 Channel AM/SSB radio, You get a 40 Channel
AM/SSB radio! Not 120 Channel....

Old August 29th 03, 04:46 PM
Joe

So if you are using ssb does the other person have to be using
ssb too? For example can a ssb on channel 19 talk to channel 19 on a
regular unit?

Old September 14th 03, 11:51 PM
Scott Bicknell

Joe wrote:

I'm looking for a new cd (that's in a different thread) but
I forgot to ask... I've never owned an SSB unit. What exactly
will an ssb unit do for me? Does that just give you more channels?

SSB stands for Single Side Band, suppressed carrier. It is amplitude
modulated. AM--Amplitude Modulation, transmits the carrier and two
side bands, which result from mixing the carrier signal with the audio
from the microphone. This process of mixing is called modulation. The
resulting sidebands reside above and below the carrier frequency at
frequencies equal to the sum and difference between the carrier and
audio frequencies. In SSB, the carrier and one of the sidebands are
removed. Then all of the power is used to amplify the remaining
sideband before being transmitted. Thus, there are two modes of SSB,
USB--Upper Side Band, and LSB--Lower Side Band.

SSB has advantages, such as much narrower bandwidth (takes up less
frequency space) and as such is more resistent to certain types of weak
signal fading. Also, since all of the power from the amplifier is
concentrated in one sideband, that narrower signal carries a bigger
punch than an equivalent signal using double-sideband AM.

It does not give you more channels, but with proper filtering and
detection, two contacts can be conducted on the same "channel", one
using USB and the other using LSB, without interfering with each other.

Scott
-- Rich Kulawiec