Old August 31st 03, 04:42 AM
Joe

Default Should I buy ssb?

So now that I understand ssb to some extent, I figured
I would buy a new unit with it. I assume the high
end unidens had it. Now I see they don't, but that's ok
because I can buy a different brand, or I see that some
grants are still available. My question is, why did
uniden stop making ssb units? Is ssb worth looking
around for, or should I skip it and just get an am
unit?

Old August 31st 03, 06:33 PM
Alan Strawinski

JOEIs ssb worth looking around for,

LS Yes. If you want improved range and less noise
LS then SSB is the way to go. You just have to make
LS sure those you wish to contact on the air are also
LS using SSB radios in order to take advantage of the
LS mode.
LS

That's the catch, ain't it? I don't find myself using SSB
much, as I'm almost always mobile. Other drivers don't
seem to use sideband for some reason. Still, it's there
when I want/need it

It's not THAT expensive, really. A perfectly fine sideband
rig can be had for under 200 bucks.

JOE or should I skip it and just get an am unit?

LS In my opinion AM radios are a waste of money
LS compared to the performance you get using SSB. Of
LS course there are those who like AM even with its
LS technical deficiencies. If the people you talk to
LS don't use SSB then you can save yourself some
LS money and get an AM only radio.

I'm with you. I encourage sideband operation.

My brother-in-law and I use SSB
when we run into each other around town. It's much
easier to talk to him across town on sideband rather than
AM. Less noise, more efficient, more power...

--
Alan Strawinski

http://alan.strawinski.net
Old September 1st 03, 12:50 AM
Dave or Debby

IF you get a Grant, you WILL be able to "SKIP IT " !
(That's talk skip easier which is a violation of Plank #6 and "old lady"
hambo rules! Get da GRANT !
Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old September 1st 03, 05:12 AM
sideband

Hrm.. Interesting.. There's still a million of 'em at the truckstops..
Must have happened recently, and they're selling off what they'd
built. Get one while you still can.

-SSB

Joe wrote:

The uniden web site doesn't list the grant as a
current model.

sideband wrote:

They didn't. The Grant LT has SSB

-SSB

Old September 3rd 03, 09:23 PM
Steve Phillips

That's the catch, ain't it? I don't find myself using SSB
much, as I'm almost always mobile. Other drivers don't
seem to use sideband for some reason. Still, it's there
when I want/need it
My brother-in-law and I use SSB
when we run into each other around town. It's much
easier to talk to him across town on sideband rather than
AM. Less noise, more efficient, more power...
Alan Strawinski

http://alan.strawinski.net

I use SSB exclusively unless I need to talk to a trucker on the highway.

I live about 40 minutes outside the city. During the morning commute there
are a few mobiles and usually one base on 27.395 LSB. We chat on the way to
work.

This would not be possible on AM as it is only useful over short distances.

You will want a good antenna as well. The Valor Half-Breed is a very good
inexpensive antenna.

If you want to spend more money you can buy a Wilson 1000 but in my
experience it is not better. I have owned both and still have the
Half-Breed.

My tech told me that the Wilson coils are know to arc if you are running
power. I didn't believe him until my amp died a week later.

I sold the Wilson and bought the Half-Breed.

I now run a Solarcon Quad Rod because of the wide bandwidth.

Steve

Old September 4th 03, 01:31 PM

Alan Strawinski wrote:
I had never heard of the Valor Half-Breed before, so I decided to look it
up. Wow. 60" base loaded for $12 (valcoelectronics.com). Cool.

That's a pretty cool website, Alan. Have you done business with them
in the past, and were you satisfied with their service/support/shipping?

TIA

--
GO #40
Old September 4th 03, 07:15 PM

Alan Strawinski wrote:
BTW - I just noticed that your newsreader makes use of the X-Face header.
Nice Mopar logo I need a nifty logo now...

Yea, they're fun to play around with. Here's an online converter
if you're interested. It takes a little plying around with to
get it to look readable.

http://www.dairiki.org/xface/

Take care,
Steve.