Old September 1st 03, 11:11 PM
Alan Strawinski

Default How to tell if Yaesu 101EE is modified for CB?

johnny blaze wrote in
:

Heh, without the obvious, that is plugging it in, and seeing if it
will receive that band.

Yes, I am a newb, without the antenna or knowledge to see if it will
receive CB.

Can I tell by looking inside? If so, what would I be looking for?

Thanks,

Erick

Can you tell by simply looking inside? I highly doubt it. I suppose that
a radio-stud type person could manage (if so, can you mentor me?!!!), but
if you had that ability, you wouldn't be a newbie. My humble suggestion:
put a cb antenna on it and see if it receives the 11M band. I looked at a
picture of that radio. If one was modded, I doubt there would be any way
to directly indicate whether it was on CB or not.

Alan's standard disclamer in the event that the original poster gives a
damn: If you're the legal-beagle type, note that using that radio on CB
ain't allowed here in the US. Moving on...

Incidentally, that's a pretty old rig for a newbie. Legal issues on CB
notwithstanding, do you really want to use that thing?

Keep checking back. Somebody around here might know an easier way to
help. I know I'm curious.

--
Alan Strawinski

http://alan.strawinski.net
Old September 3rd 03, 06:42 AM
johnny blaze

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:51:37 -0400, wrote:

Only sure way to tell is to see if the 11 Meter Crystals were installed. I
can't remember the exact frequencies since it's been 20 years since I owned
one. Word of advice don't buy a FT-101 series unless the price is
ridiculously low. Parts are increasingly difficult to come by and the age of
the unit means there's bout to be crystal degradation and problems with
other electronics besides the tubes. Find a more recent FT-757or ICOM.

Thank you both for your replies.

Erick
Old September 4th 03, 11:11 AM
Adshar64