Old September 5th 03, 11:46 PM
graeme

Default swr or not to swr

I am looking at gettin a homebase antenna for my birthday and my mum
and my dad know nothing about cb radio so i am turning to you. I had
my eye on the chimney breast to mount the antenna but would i have to
go up and swr the antenna there to see if this is the right place to
put it. The only reason i am hesitating is its quite high and i would
need to get a company in to fit it and its better knowing if the spot
is the best place or not. I thought it would be as its the highest
point in the house and from there you can get a clear line of site
from the village i live in over glasgow to loch lomond.

thanks
Old September 6th 03, 02:29 AM
'Doc

Graeme,
The higher the better, but you do have to use a bit of
common sense and 'balance' about the whole thing. (Common
sense meaning 'frugal', 'cheap', 'penny pinching', 'lets
not get carried away whith this thing!') Unless they build
chimneys a lot diffrent there than they do here, the average
chimney isn't designed to support the weight and wind load
of an antenna. The difference between a few feet doesn't
really make that much difference in what you will hear. A
few tens of feet, yes. A few feet, no.
SWR is the measure of how well the antenna impedance is
matched to the feed line's impedance and how well both of
those are matched to the transmitter's output impedance. An
antenna will have to be tuned no matter where you put it,
unless you're extremely lucky to have a good match to start
with (if you're that lucky, play the lottery!).
You might take another look to see where else you can mount
your antenna that wouldn't envolve the pitter patter of chemney
bricks hitting the roof...
'Doc
Old September 6th 03, 05:41 AM
UknowMeJP

ok here's what you do....go buy an Antron 99 18ft base antenna from
www.copper.com, then when you get in the mail, dont touch the tuning rings. Get
someone your dad knows that climbs trees or call a tree man to put your antenna
in the biggest tree you can find. make sure you get an atleast a 10ft mast pole
to put the U bolts that come with it on. have the tree guy to nail huge nails
through the mast pole and on the tree, u need some kind of straps to wrap
around the tree and the pole....have a good time, PS--- get the antenna as
high in the sky as possible

Thatz-me-JP
Old September 6th 03, 06:30 AM
George Kinzer

dont forget the cable.........you'll need the best you can afford as this is
an "investment"
remember, u get what u pay for..and remember sign companys will do it also,
or a truck or van with a "cherry picker"...shop and get hourly rates..local
if posible..rates here are like 65-75 hour or more...some have 2-3 hour min,
some dont have any, thell em what you want to do, and get a QUOTE first
--

Those who want to be successful, will find a way,
those that don't, will find an excuse!

Old September 8th 03, 12:34 AM
jim

graeme wrote:
I am looking at gettin a homebase antenna for my birthday and my mum
and my dad know nothing about cb radio so i am turning to you. I had
my eye on the chimney breast to mount the antenna but would i have to
go up and swr the antenna there to see if this is the right place to
put it. The only reason i am hesitating is its quite high and i would
need to get a company in to fit it and its better knowing if the spot
is the best place or not. I thought it would be as its the highest
point in the house and from there you can get a clear line of site
from the village i live in over glasgow to loch lomond.

thanks

post this on uk.rec.radio.cb mate.

Old September 8th 03, 07:11 AM
Brainbuster

UknowMeJP wrote in message ...
ok here's what you do....go buy an Antron 99 18ft base antenna from
www.copper.com,

If he wants a dealer more local, there are some in the UK... even one I know
of in Scotland.
On the "CitizensBand.co.uk" UK CB website, there is a dealer and club
database, with search function...
http://www.citizensband.co.uk/

You can search by name, town, county, postcode, etc.
Two of the biggest dealers in the UK also do mail order... Knights and Truck
King. I have dealt with both without problems.

He could also try the UK CB newsgroup "uk.rec.radio.cb". I believe that
there is at least on person on there from Scotland, who may know more local
dealers, clubs, or even CBers who may help with fitting it up.

Regards,

Peter.