Old October 18th 03, 08:58 PM
Bob

Default Ham Radio

Just a note to let you know about a list designed to help you become a ham
radio operator:

73
Old October 20th 03, 03:55 AM
Train

"Bob" wrote in message
9...
Just a note to let you know about a list designed to help you become a ham
radio operator:

73

Why the hell would we want to do that?
Train

Old October 21st 03, 11:38 PM
Steveo

"BuckEye" wrote:
Everybody should be a HAM.

Everybody should run ham gear.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month
Old October 22nd 03, 12:33 AM
Train

"Steveo" wrote in message
"BuckEye" wrote:
Everybody should be a HAM.

Everybody should run ham gear.

Some of us do!
I don't think I'll ever part with my Drake "drift-0-matic" TR-7.
I've only had the set for just over 20 years.
Been using a Kenwood 440-SAT for just over 10 and it's a GREAT rig also!
Train

Old October 22nd 03, 12:39 AM
Steveo

"Train" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"BuckEye" wrote:
Everybody should be a HAM.

Everybody should run ham gear.

Some of us do!
I don't think I'll ever part with my Drake "drift-0-matic" TR-7.
I've only had the set for just over 20 years.
Been using a Kenwood 440-SAT for just over 10 and it's a GREAT rig also!
Train

Rock on.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month
Old October 22nd 03, 02:17 AM
gw

"Train" wrote in message ...
"Bob" wrote in message
9...
Just a note to let you know about a list designed to help you become a ham
radio operator:

73

Why the hell would we want to do that?
Train

that's right train, especially when they have people like the one's
mentioned in this dicey article copied below. man i sure wouldn't want
to be associated with people that break the law and stuff like
that.......harde har, har, har.....

From the ARRL Letter, October 17, 2003

The FCC says an Indiana amateur has agreed to relinquish his Amateur
Radio
operator license for two years as a result of allegations that he
interfered with local police department radio transmissions. FCC
Special
Counsel Riley Hollingsworth outlined the terms of the agreement in a
September 23 letter to Technician licensee Justin L. Whaley, KC9DCP,
of
Columbia City. According to the letter, the FCC notified Whaley last
March
that close-proximity direction finding evidence indicated that the
licensee had interfered with the operation of the Columbia City Police
Department radio system early this year.

The agreement--which Whaley had not yet signed as of this week--calls
on
him to resolve the enforcement issues he faces by relinquishing his
Amateur Radio operator license for two years. Whaley also must agree
not
to maintain an amateur station nor to use anyone else's station.
Hollingsworth said that since Whaley shut down his station last March
28,
the agreement would remain in effect until March 28, 2005.
Hollingsworth
requested that Whaley sign the letter and return it to the FCC along
with
his Amateur Radio license.

The FCC meanwhile is seeking additional information from three other
licensees who allegedly used ham gear to transmit on police or
emergency
frequencies.

Hollingsworth wrote General-class licensee Tom L. Christman, KB2NAV,
of
Albany, New York, on September 22 regarding a complaint from the
Albany
County Sheriff's Department's Office of Professional Standards. The
FCC
asked Christman, a sheriff's department maintenance worker, to respond
allegations that he used his ham radio transceiver to make
transmissions
on sheriff's department frequencies last December "without a
legitimate
purpose." The sheriff's department has requested that the FCC suspend
or
revoke Christman's amateur license.

Hollingsworth also wrote two North Carolina Technician-class
amateurs--Daniel E. Buchanan, KF4LNE, of Montreat, and Joseph S.
"Shannon"
Hutchins, KG4SXD, of Swannanoa--concerning complaints from the Black
Mountain Police Department alleging that both had transmitted on
police
frequencies last February. The transmissions apparently were made
using a
handheld transceiver while Buchanan and Hutchins were in the same
vehicle.

Documents from the Asheville/Buncombe County District Attorney's
Office
assert that the Black Mountain police channel had experienced
"numerous
transmissions" earlier this year on a police frequency (156.01 MHz)
"including verbal profanity and racial slurs." A police officer who
questioned Buchanan and Hutchins said they admitted transmitting on
police
frequencies. They later voluntarily signed statements to that effect
in
which each blamed the other for making the racial slur.

The District Attorney's Office statement said that one transmission
last
February 8, while police were attempting to respond to an auto
accident
involving multiple injuries, "prevented officers from communication
with
dispatch or each other."
Hollingsworth this month also heard from amateurs in the Los Angeles
area
that some repeater owners are shutting down their machines due to
alleged
ongoing interference from Jack Gerritsen, formerly KG6IRO. The FCC
Wireless Telecommunications Bureau set aside Gerritsen's license in
2001 a
few days after granting it after learning that he'd been convicted the
previous year on state charges of interfering with Los Angeles Police
Department radio transmissions.

Imprisoned, paroled and imprisoned again after breaking parole for
allegedly having and operating radio equipment without a license,
Gerritsen was released early due to jail overcrowding.

Hollingsworth said the FCC continues to work the case, but he
expressed
frustration that Gerritsen was let out of prison again with no
conditions
or restrictions "even regarding radio, which is what he was in there
for
in the first place."

The ARRL Letter offers a weekly e-mail digest of essential news of
interest to active amateurs. The ARRL Letter strives to be timely,
accurate, concise, and readable. Visit ARRLWeb http://www.arrl.org for
the latest news, updated as it happens. The ARRL Web site
http://www.arrl.org/ offers access to news, informative features and
columns. ARRL Audio News http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/audio/ is a
weekly "ham radio newscast" compiled from The ARRL Letter.

Material from The ARRL Letter may be republished or reproduced in
whole or
in part in any form without additional permission. Credit must be
given to
The ARRL Letter and The American Radio Relay League.

--------------
Fred Lloyd, AA7BQ Founder, QRZ.COM
Old October 22nd 03, 02:19 AM
gw

"BuckEye" wrote in message news:66flb.834964$YN5.925395@sccrnsc01...
Everybody should be a HAM.

"Train" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
9...
Just a note to let you know about a list designed to help you become a

ham
radio operator:

73

Why the hell would we want to do that?
Train

i thought that big bambo guy got beat down for talking on channel
6.........i guess he still has his license.....oh well..........
Old October 24th 03, 09:10 PM
Skipp asks the big questions

So.... if I become a ham and still talk to my friends on the CB...

do we call dual band operation "roast beef"..?

cheers
skipp

http://sonic.ucdavis.edu