Old October 22nd 03, 04:55 AM
donny sharp

Default question about coax ?

i installed a cobra 25ltd its been peaked & tuned , i think 28 wtts
anyway had the swr's set , the tech that set them said i need 20 to 25 feet
of coax to complete the wave . is there truth to this or was he just trying
to get me to purchase more cable
and if this is true will it mess up my swr's on my system now?
last question , anyone know what else , besides a liner , i can do to
increase my power & range
thanks donny aka rockin-rabbit

Old October 22nd 03, 04:58 AM
Steveo

"donny sharp" wrote:
i installed a cobra 25ltd its been peaked & tuned , i think 28 wtts
anyway had the swr's set , the tech that set them said i need 20 to 25
feet of coax to complete the wave . is there truth to this or was he just
trying to get me to purchase more cable
and if this is true will it mess up my swr's on my system now?
last question , anyone know what else , besides a liner , i can do to
increase my power & range
thanks donny aka rockin-rabbit

Someone said the coax length police are in town again. (be careful)
Old October 22nd 03, 08:09 AM
'Doc

Off hand, I'd say he was trying to sell coax. If you can't
increase power, increase antenna height.
'Doc
Old October 22nd 03, 03:27 PM
BuckEye

First of all I have a hard time thinking the rig can do 28 watts, that's BS
get a good wattmeter. Also most tweaking and peaking is just a way to ****
up a radio, makes them sound like ****, and for a bad tech to make a fast
buck. Use whatever length to get to the antenna. That story has been going
around since CB started.

Old October 22nd 03, 05:44 PM
Radioman

donny sharp wrote:

i installed a cobra 25ltd its been peaked & tuned , i think 28 wtts
anyway had the swr's set , the tech that set them said i need 20 to 25 feet
of coax to complete the wave . is there truth to this or was he just trying
to get me to purchase more cable
and if this is true will it mess up my swr's on my system now?
last question , anyone know what else , besides a liner , i can do to
increase my power & range
thanks donny aka rockin-rabbit

1) Any length will do if it's a properly grounded antenna.
2) There is only one SWR, Standing Wave Ratio.
3) Now that the radio has been peaked to max smoke, you can't use a linear with
that radio because it will sound terrible.
4) Any sideband radio is a better quality radio than a Cobra 25.
5) A radio wave at 27.185 MHz (ch 19) is around 34 feet long.
6) Signals in the coax travel at 66 to 78 % of the speed of light. This is
the velocity factor. Signals travel at 95% on the antenna itself. This
shortens the required coax for a wavelength.
7) Half-wave multiples of coax mimic the SWR on the other end.

Old October 23rd 03, 07:33 AM
Brainbuster

donny sharp wrote in message
i installed a cobra 25ltd its been peaked & tuned , i think 28 wtts
anyway had the swr's set , the tech that set them said i need 20 to 25 feet
of coax to complete the wave . is there truth to this

No.

or was he just trying to get me to purchase more cable

Maybe.
Or, maybe he was just repeating the stories he was told. With CB, anyone
can call themself a "tech" or "rig doctor"... most have no qualifications.

The antenna does the work, the coax is just the way of getting the signal to
it.
Any coax will lose some of the signal, more coax means that more signal will
be wasted.

Just use what you need to get from the CB to the antenna, maybe add a small
amount of extra in case of errors or if it is needed at some point.

,
anyone know what else , besides a liner , i can do to
increase my power & range

The best way to get a good distance is to get the best antenna you can. A
good antenna will pick up signals better, as well as send them out further.
This will add up to true gain.
Another point is that SSB will give you greater distance on both receive and
transmit.

A linear may increase your output, but it will not help other people to get
to you. You can end up talking over the top of people you cannot even hear.
If you are in an area where there are other CBers nearby, you may also cause
them "bleedover", where they lose receive signals when you transmit.
A local CBer to me has used linears, and is known for interfering with other
CBers for miles around. What is worse, is that he ignores complaints from
his fellow CBers - the ignorant tw*t.

I do not wish to preach to you about the law, but you should at least try
all possible legal methods. In the end, it is your choice, but at least you
should know the issues before you decide.

Regards,

Peter.

Best coax and entry route. (And newbie question). [email protected] Antenna 3 January 17th 05 03:19 PM
The "TRICK" to TV 'type' Coax Cable [Shielded] SWL Loop Antennas {RHF} RHF Antenna 27 November 3rd 04 01:38 PM
35 ohm coax question Joe B Antenna 4 April 9th 04 11:32 PM
Coax Question Robert11 Antenna 4 November 29th 03 07:00 PM