Old November 1st 03, 01:07 AM
Gene Rector

Default Hand Held CB

Howdy! FRS/GMRS radios do not seem to work very well in heavily wooded areas
if you are hiking or hunting and want to keep in touch with others a mile or
so away. I was wondering if maybe hand held CB's might be a better choice
and if so, what are some that are small that would be a choice? Thanks!
Always, Gene

---

Old November 1st 03, 01:58 AM
Jim Hampton

Gene,

The problem with handheld 27 MHz units is the terribly inefficient
antenna/ground combinations. Usually you are lucky to get a mile or so, but
in quiet areas (woods, not urban areas) they might work, but I doubt very
well. A 5 watt unit might do better than FRS, but you'd best seek advice
from folks that have actually used them.

One very good possibility is the use of MURS radios. They are VHF and tend
to penetrate woods better than GMRS and are much more efficient (at least
the antenna and ground are much more efficient) than 27 MHz units. They
operate with 2 watts output and will give a *much* better accounting of
themselves than 27 MHz or FRS units. They also have detachable antennas and
you can mount antennas with some gain (or at least not the big loss of the
typical rubber duck). You should get a 5 mile range or even a bit better
between MURS handhelds (assuming no hills between the units).

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

Old November 2nd 03, 01:14 AM
Vinnie S.

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:07:17 -0600, "Gene Rector" wrote:

Howdy! FRS/GMRS radios do not seem to work very well in heavily wooded areas
if you are hiking or hunting and want to keep in touch with others a mile or
so away. I was wondering if maybe hand held CB's might be a better choice
and if so, what are some that are small that would be a choice? Thanks!
Always, Gene

Not a good alternative. Much heavier, and more batteries are needed. Also, you
need an extra long antenna.

Vinnie S.
Old November 2nd 03, 05:41 AM
Steveo

wrote:

Howdy! FRS/GMRS radios do not seem to work very well in heavily wooded
areas if you are hiking or hunting and want to keep in touch with others
a mile or so away. I was wondering if maybe hand held CB's might be a
better choice and if so, what are some that are small that would be a
choice? Thanks! Always, Gene

Not a good alternative. Much heavier, and more batteries are needed.
Also, you need an extra long antenna.

Vinnie S.

Or a bigger payroll.