RadioBanter

-   -   Best Alternative to eBay for banned 10 meter gear (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/30286-best-alternative-ebay-banned-10-meter-gear.html)

Dave VanHorn November 11th 03 09:26 PM

Below is the exchange I had this morning with eBay.

This is definitely not right.
Hell, by that grounds, a pencil is "problematic" because it might be used to
plot a terrorist attack..

I'd forward the exchange back to riley and the arrl.

Darren418 November 11th 03 11:40 PM

Radioman wrote in message ...
Yahoo's site is pretty good, are there others I should consider? I'm
not a dealer, just an ordinary ham wanting to get a fair price for my
prized HR2600.

If you prize it so much, why are you selling it?

I bought an Icom 706 MKIIG and when the wife found out she, well,
insisted I sell the HR2600.

SouthDakotaRadio November 12th 03 12:00 AM

eBay practices what is known as "selective enforcement" on their site.

Basically, if someone complains, they cancel your auction. The onus is then on
YOU to prove the item is NOT prohibited under eBay rules. Guilty until proven
innocent, in other words. This is difficult if not downright impossible to do,
since you're dealing with an entry-level drone on the other end who doesn't
have a clue as to the specifics of radio equipment. You're likely to receive
only form letters in response. Most of their customers simply give up in
frustration. This is their intention. eBay has become just another oversized
corporate conglomerate. They don't want to bother with some guy selling a ham
radio. Realizing they're the only real game in town with regards to online
auctions, their stance seems to be "We'll do what we want. We don't care."

I've seen this happen time and time again: legal, unmodified 10m radios,
advertised in the ham radio section, being removed from the site. Meanwhile,
modified radios are allowed to continue being auctioned in the CB section.
Radios clearly marked as "modified", "extra channels", "full 26-28Mhz
coverage", etc., in the Item Description. Also linear amplifiers, which are
clearly illegal in all cases.

Ditto for pre-ban scanners with 800Mhz coverage. Units made prior to April,
1994, with no mention of modification are pulled while others described as
"full 800Mhz coverage", "cellular unlocked", "modified for cell", etc., are
allowed to continue.

I believe a competent attorney could, after sufficient documentation, make a
strong case against eBay on these grounds. Given the millions of users, it
wouldn't be too hard to then have class action status awarded to the pending
case. I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I sure would love to see
one take them on. This game has been going on way too long now, as any regular
buyer of radio gear via eBay can attest to.

Dee D. Flint November 12th 03 12:17 AM

"Darren418" wrote in message
om...
Radioman wrote in message

Yahoo's site is pretty good, are there others I should consider? I'm
not a dealer, just an ordinary ham wanting to get a fair price for my
prized HR2600.

If you prize it so much, why are you selling it?

I bought an Icom 706 MKIIG and when the wife found out she, well,
insisted I sell the HR2600.

Since the HR2600 is only 10 through 12 meters, tell her you won't get very
much for it and it isn't worth selling.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Radioman November 12th 03 12:27 AM

Yahoo's site is pretty good, are there others I should consider? I'm
not a dealer, just an ordinary ham wanting to get a fair price for my
prized HR2600.

From the current Hamprice document:
HR2600 10M ALL MODE 153, 142, 135, 103

More info on Hamprice at:

If you prize it so much, why are you selling it?

I bought an Icom 706 MKIIG and when the wife found out she, well,
insisted I sell the HR2600.

Those things don't like to be around radio towers. 2 meters is useless
when the tower is a half mile away.

(AGB) Granddadof5 November 12th 03 12:28 AM

Talking to Ebay is like talking to M$. They really don't care as long
as they make $. The are very "reactive" to issues, not "proactive". I
see nothing wrong with the 2600 but lets talk about the 200 watt "Ham
Amps" for $1xx.00 that cover 12 and 10 meters? They are still around.
Also the "Amateur amps, 250 watts for $2xx.00 that only cover 24 to 30
mhz. Funny, they still get listed?

What do I know and its for sure Ebay does not care at all.

Just my 3 cents, John W5CGU

Darren418 wrote:

I am not a regular user of eBay, so needless to say, I was quite
surprised when my HR2600 was banned. I emailed eBay and they
basically said the HR2600 has been deemed by the FCC to be an illegal
radio since it's used frequently for out-of-band pirate operation.
Since I am a licensed ham, bought the radio legally from another ham,
and have always operated it legally, I can't see how they can ban
these radios (other than the fact that they can because it's their
auction site and I know this trumps fairness).

So my question, is what is the best alternative auction site for those
10 meter ham refugees who have been banished from eBay? I've heard
Yahoo's site is pretty good, are there others I should consider? I'm
not a dealer, just an ordinary ham wanting to get a fair price for my
prized HR2600.

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Darren
W5DKE

Richard Cranium November 12th 03 12:47 AM

Harry wrote in message ...
Richard Cranium wrote:

The fact that you want to auction it suggests that you want more than
a fair price.

That is a stupid thing to say. On ebay you could have hundreds
of people looking at your item. Here you are limited to a
couple of dozen at best. You should use your cranium some time.

"A couple of dozen at best"? How do you figure that? Do you have any
clue? If that's true, why did you ask your question here?

BTW, I merely made an observation. But you proved it for me: The "fair
price" you could get here wouldn't be enough.

Citizens For A Keyclown-Free Newsgroup November 12th 03 01:00 AM

(Darren418) wrote in message . com...
I emailed eBay and they
basically said the HR2600 has been deemed by
the FCC to be an illegal
radio since it's used frequently for out-of-band pirate operation.

It's pirates, freebanders and keyclowns who are responsible for the
"ban" in the first place, yet they are the ones who bitch the loudest
about the "unfair" eBay and FCC.

N8WWM November 12th 03 01:22 AM

In article , Citizens For A
Keyclown-Free Newsgroup says...

(Darren418) wrote in message
.com...
I emailed eBay and they
basically said the HR2600 has been deemed by
the FCC to be an illegal
radio since it's used frequently for out-of-band pirate operation.

It's pirates, freebanders and keyclowns who are responsible for the
"ban" in the first place, yet they are the ones who bitch the loudest
about the "unfair" eBay and FCC.

I only jammed a few repeaters and people got their panties all in a bunch.
What's so bad about freebanding anyway?