Old November 13th 03, 12:05 AM
Steveo

Default Way yonder off topic question

Sorry for the OT question, but I couldn't find a small engine group.

I just pulled the flywheel on my Briggs 18hp v-twin Z-cart. (starter
repair)

Should I clean the armature/magneto contacts with anything besides air
while I have it off, or leave it alone?

Thanks.
Old November 13th 03, 12:51 AM
jim

Steveo wrote:
Sorry for the OT question, but I couldn't find a small engine group.

I just pulled the flywheel on my Briggs 18hp v-twin Z-cart. (starter
repair)

Should I clean the armature/magneto contacts with anything besides air
while I have it off, or leave it alone?

Thanks.

Steve,
According to my B&S repair manual do not soak the armature in a cleaning
solution. The armature commutator, if it needs cleaning, can be cleaned
with 000 sand paper. Don't use emery cloth as it will embed in the
commutator and cause rapid wear. HTH, Jim.

Old November 13th 03, 01:06 AM
Steveo

jim wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Sorry for the OT question, but I couldn't find a small engine group.

I just pulled the flywheel on my Briggs 18hp v-twin Z-cart. (starter
repair)

Should I clean the armature/magneto contacts with anything besides air
while I have it off, or leave it alone?

Thanks.

Steve,
According to my B&S repair manual do not soak the armature in a cleaning
solution. The armature commutator, if it needs cleaning, can be cleaned
with 000 sand paper. Don't use emery cloth as it will embed in the
commutator and cause rapid wear. HTH, Jim.

Thanks Jim, what do you think about a non-residual, plastic safe contact
cleaner?
Old November 13th 03, 01:29 AM
jim

Steveo wrote:
jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

Sorry for the OT question, but I couldn't find a small engine group.

I just pulled the flywheel on my Briggs 18hp v-twin Z-cart. (starter
repair)

Should I clean the armature/magneto contacts with anything besides air
while I have it off, or leave it alone?

Thanks.

Steve,
According to my B&S repair manual do not soak the armature in a cleaning
solution. The armature commutator, if it needs cleaning, can be cleaned
with 000 sand paper. Don't use emery cloth as it will embed in the
commutator and cause rapid wear. HTH, Jim.

Thanks Jim, what do you think about a non-residual, plastic safe contact
cleaner?

if you were going that route then alcohol could work but the manual
specifically mentioned no solutions were to be used. are you sure it needs
cleaning? is anything pitted or burnt/glazed?

Old November 13th 03, 01:38 AM
Steveo

jim wrote:
Steveo wrote:
jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

[...]

I just pulled it this evening after work, so I've not even blown
it off with air and looked close at it yet. I was going to do that,
but my wife came back to the barn and told me we had nasty weather
on the way. (strange weather day here)

It may not need anything more than a soft air cleaning, but I figured
it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Old November 13th 03, 01:46 AM
jim

Steveo wrote:
jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

[...]

yeah those armature contacts can be very sensitive. can send a paper
copy of the manual if wanted. covers a lot.
50+ mph winds expected for tomm on the island. going to get what you are
getting...
alrighty back on topic, use a 575m6 mic on the 2510 as the stock one is
just fair sounding.

Old November 15th 03, 09:47 AM
Brainbuster

jim wrote in message

Steveo wrote:

Thanks Jim, what do you think about a non-residual, plastic safe contact
cleaner?

if you were going that route then alcohol could work

Which would you recommend... Heineken, or Budweiser?

Regards,

Peter.

Old November 13th 03, 12:51 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , Steveo
wrote:

Sorry for the OT question, but I couldn't find a small engine group.

I just pulled the flywheel on my Briggs 18hp v-twin Z-cart. (starter
repair)

Should I clean the armature/magneto contacts with anything besides air
while I have it off, or leave it alone?

Thanks.

Use a rubber pencil eraser.

Old November 13th 03, 01:08 AM
Steveo

Frank Gilliland wrote:
In , Steveo
wrote:

Sorry for the OT question, but I couldn't find a small engine group.

I just pulled the flywheel on my Briggs 18hp v-twin Z-cart. (starter
repair)

Should I clean the armature/magneto contacts with anything besides air
while I have it off, or leave it alone?

Thanks.

Use a rubber pencil eraser.

Really? That makes sense, as long as there's no grit residue after
cleaning it with air. What say about a plastic safe contact cleaner?