Old November 23rd 03, 04:53 PM
joe landy

Default RCI 2950 Clarifier/RIT not working

Hi all.
Looking for some help or tips on my Ranger RCI 2950.
The recieve clarifier doesn't work till the radio has been on for 1/2
an hour. This makes SSB impossible to use, because I can't make anyone
audible. It seems to be stuck at one end, i.e 1khz too high, till in
begins to work, and then sits at 12:00, with SSB audio perfectly
acceptable.
To me, this would indicate a failing variable resistor on the front
panel, i.e broken track till it gets warm. I have rigged an external
variable to try and prove this, but to no avail.
I'd appreciate any suggestions as to why this may occur. I have
searched back through google groups to see if the problem has been
reported before, but it doesn't seem to.
When the radio is warm, and the clarifier then works, the radio is
usable for about 1/2 an hour, and then the tx frequency drifts a
little. Luckily I have some understanding operators nearby who have
spent the time talking to me while continuously adjusting their rx
clarifiers. The radio drifts on tx by about 2khz. The drift is not
continuous, but moving all the time. Crystal frequencies are constant,
and main Voltage regulator has just been changed. Apparently there is
another voltage regulator which I need to check, to ensure PLL voltage
is constant?
Help please!!!!

Radio is RCI2950 early version, 7 years old, with no mods from new
apart from putting it on 11 MTRs.
Had new finals this year (routine maintenance)new volume control, plus
display bulbs. Otherwise very reliale.

73s
Joe Landy
Peterborough
UK.

P.S I'm stuck using a President Lincoln till it's fixed. Great radio,
but a nightmare in the car, no memories, and no illuminated buttons
for night-operation. Can't use up/dn buttons on UK band either!
Cheers.
Old November 23rd 03, 05:33 PM
Radioman

You may have some cold solder joints in the VCO area or on one
of the cans. My alignment tech found that problem in mine. I
didn't even know I had a problem until I sent it for it's 50,000
mile tune-up. He found a section that wouldn't align because an
RF/IF transformer had a bad connection.

As Bill E. has always said, "To locate the problem block in a
radio, do an alignment. The stage that won't tune is the culprit."

Old November 29th 03, 10:27 PM
sideband

1. the front panel control for the RIT isn't a variable capacitor,
it's a variable resistor.

2. the symptoms don't indicate anything wrong with the control, rather
something wrong with the circuitry in the radio.

3. if you don't have the technical knowledge to trace the circuit path
through the rig, then send/take it to a reliable tech.

-SSB