Old December 17th 03, 12:53 PM
Matt

Default i know nothing

hi all

ok i know nothing at all about CB radio....but here is my situation

Im an australian guy, just taken a job in vietnam, ho chi minh city.
my girlfriend is in hong kong, my family in australia

vietnam has ridiculously expensive IDD and ridiculously expensive
broadband - so kinda rules out long phone calls and voice chats
online.

so thinking about CB radio

what sort of equipment would i need to get this sort of range? what
will it typically cost me to buy? how hard is it to rig up?

i know these are really dumb questions, but look forward to some
answers that may be helpful.

thanks

Matt
Old December 17th 03, 09:49 PM
Donald Sherwood

I would suggest getting your amateur radio license, where you can use some
other bandwidth with less interference and use power when needed. That and
there are some other tricks for that type of long distance communication.

I can't believe some of these yahoos on here, babbling there little NG
jibberish. Frank what the hell is wrong with you, what is that crap you
posted? Nobody cares about it and it seems it doesn't pertain to the
question.

"Steveo" wrote in message
(Citizens For A Keyclown-Free Newsgroup) wrote:
Frank Gilliland wrote in message
. ..
In ,
(Matt) wrote:

hi all

ok i know nothing at all about CB radio....but here is my situation

Im an australian guy, just taken a job in vietnam, ho chi minh city.
my girlfriend is in hong kong, my family in australia

vietnam has ridiculously expensive IDD and ridiculously expensive
broadband - so kinda rules out long phone calls and voice chats
online.

so thinking about CB radio

Why? You have a great opportunity to experience a different culture
that's both modern and ancient. Take advantage of your time and don't
waste it on something so trivial as CB radio. Try the bun tom, go

home,
-then- get on the radio and tell everyone about it.

I think he mighta been asking if CB can cover the distance to Hong
Kong or Australia so he can chat with his family in which case CB is a
definite no.

PS watch out for kids selling cokes.

I have QSL cards from Australia from 11 meters. I wouldn't count on
it for regular comms tho.

Old December 17th 03, 09:52 PM
Steveo

"Donald Sherwood" wrote:
I would suggest getting your amateur radio license, where you can use
some other bandwidth with less interference and use power when needed.
That and there are some other tricks for that type of long distance
communication.

I can't believe some of these yahoos on here, babbling there little NG
jibberish. Frank what the hell is wrong with you, what is that crap you
posted? Nobody cares about it and it seems it doesn't pertain to the
question.

I don't have any interference problems at 1k, with the S-line. I can
watch tv in the same room.

Old December 17th 03, 11:34 PM
Richard Cranium

(Matt) wrote:

[...]

Wrong as usual, DouGay. CB, conditions permitting, should work just
fine from Vietnam to Australia. And it's not illegal down under; they
can legally answer DX calls, but not initiate them. Whether it's legal
in Vietnam is another, totally different, question. No matter, since
US "rules" don't apply.

In case you haven't noticed, the conflict ("war" can only be declared
by Congress, and it wasn't) is over, so there's no longer any need to
worry about kids selling cokes.

OK, DouGay: Open mouth, change feet!
Old December 18th 03, 12:02 AM

(Matt) wrote:

[...]

Hey anus boy

1. I am not Doug you asswipe

2. Hanoi to Hong Kong is 1000 miles. Hanoi to Australia is 3000 miles.
The guy wants to chat with his family on a reliable daily basis not
call BREAKER TAN FER THAR CQ DX HELLO AUDIOOOOO etc. you fool

3. Kids selling cokes can still cheat you out of a buck