Old March 5th 04, 06:44 PM
Rev. Tim McIntire

Default CB Buyers' Guide

Hey, all...

I'd like to buy a CB for long car trips, of which I take plenty. I'm not
having any luck finding any sort of buyers' guides on the web. Can anyone
point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Rev. Tim McIntire AIM/YIM/MSN: revtimmymac
http://www.reverendtim.com PGP Key ID: 0x0290EA17

Old March 5th 04, 08:27 PM
Twistedhed

Not familiar with any cb buyers guide off hand,,,,try google or post
what you are looking for in a unit. SSB or strict AM? Listening to the
truckers for road conditions and the like, or are you looking to talk?
My neighbor drives across state for a commerical delivery service in a
panel truck and I just set him up with a walkie-talkie and foot-high mag
mount,,,,all he's interested in is hearing where the cops are so he can
hammer down,....this set-up works works perfectly for him.

Old March 5th 04, 08:53 PM
Rev. Tim McIntire

"Twistedhed" wrote in message
Not familiar with any cb buyers guide off hand,,,,try google or post
what you are looking for in a unit. SSB or strict AM? Listening to the
truckers for road conditions and the like, or are you looking to talk?
My neighbor drives across state for a commerical delivery service in a
panel truck and I just set him up with a walkie-talkie and foot-high mag
mount,,,,all he's interested in is hearing where the cops are so he can
hammer down,....this set-up works works perfectly for him.

Thanks for the reply. I'm just a little befuddled by all the features (ie
23 channel vs. 40 channel) and whatnot. I'd definitely want to talk, since
I figure that's part of the "keep a guy awake on long trips" side of things.
I don't want to drop a ton of dough, just in case it's not for me, you know?
What's the advantage to single side band?

So I guess I'm looking for an inexpensive unit that covers the basics well
and is good for a beginner.

Old March 5th 04, 10:36 PM
Twistedhed

From: (Rev.=A0Tim=A0McIntire)
[...]

Rev. Tim McIntire =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 AIM/YIM/MSN:

revtimmymac

http://www.reverendtim.com =A0 =A0 PGP Key ID:

0x0290EA17

_

23 channels are no longer manufactured. 40 channel is standard. Sideband
operation gets you much greater range opposed to AM and is great fun
once you get the hang of playing with the clarifier knob to tune
everyone in. To open or "unlock" the clarifier will allow you to slide
and deviate your transmit a bit above and below frequency.....this
usually would not be necessary but the majority of ssb operations today
are either hammie rigs, exports, or cb's with modifications (like an
unlocked clarifier) resulting in transmissions not being fixed to a
frequency, thus the "tracking" of a signal is often necessary when in
sideband mode. Opening the clarifier is illegal according to the FCC and
their law pertaining to cb radio within the US of A. It's a law akin to
tossing your aluminum can in the garbage when you're supposed to
recycle: like an old blue-law, not enforced and only the truly deranged
get excited about such behavior.
Uniden makes a great sounding cb,,,,affordable and reliable,,,entry
level with no bells and whistles can be had for under 50 bucks
delivered. I'd add a power mic.

Old March 5th 04, 11:11 PM
Steveo

"Rev. Tim McIntire" wrote:
Hey, all...

I'd like to buy a CB for long car trips, of which I take plenty. I'm not
having any luck finding any sort of buyers' guides on the web. Can
anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

These guys have a good selection, and are glad to help.

http://www.bills2way.com/

Old March 6th 04, 12:10 AM
Forest

http://www.1stopelectronics.com/

http://www.cbradioforum.com/

Old March 6th 04, 01:49 AM
I Am Not George

Twistedhed wrote:

Opening the clarifier is illegal according to the FCC and
their law pertaining to cb radio within the US of A. It's a law akin

tossing your aluminum can in the garbage when you're supposed to
recycle: like an old blue-law, not enforced and only the truly

deranged
get excited about such behavior.

Hey twistie whats the fine for tossing out aluminum can?

Whats the fine for operating outside legal cb channels?

LOL

To open or "unlock" the clarifier will allow you to slide
and deviate your transmit a bit above and below frequency.....this
usually would not be necessary but the majority of ssb
operations today
are either hammie rigs, exports, or cb's with modifications (like

an
unlocked clarifier) resulting in transmissions not being fixed to a
frequency, thus the "tracking" of a signal is often necessary when

in
sideband mode.

complete BS. Twistiehead has a vested interest in getting other people
to operate illegal

So you need to be able to open the clarifier to be able to
hear/talk to
all
the other people that have that function?

only to other people who have ****ed up there radio in a likewise
manner

thats you're best bet leave the illegal **** to outlaws like Twistdave
Old March 6th 04, 01:52 AM
Opus Penguin

I Am Not George wrote:
thats you're best bet leave the illegal **** to outlaws like Twistdave

But George, how about the times you molested your brother's son? Surely
even you believe that was illegal.

Old March 8th 04, 05:23 PM
Rev. Tim McIntire

"Steveo" wrote in message

These guys have a good selection, and are glad to help.

http://www.bills2way.com/

Wow. You're right on both counts. A quick email got a quick response.
Good call, man. Thanks.

Old March 8th 04, 11:22 PM
Steveo

"Rev. Tim McIntire" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message

These guys have a good selection, and are glad to help.

http://www.bills2way.com/

Wow. You're right on both counts. A quick email got a quick response.
Good call, man. Thanks.

No problem, bookmark them.