Old March 21st 04, 11:55 PM
sxtera

Default antenna

Any body know if it is possible to use a long whip mobile antenna for a base
station antenna, and if it would be worth it to begin with? As you all can
understand, I'm trying to keep costs way down. I am also just starting out.
I have been told that cb radio is dying or dead, but I still hear that
people are still using them. Any information on this matter would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

Old March 22nd 04, 03:25 AM
George Kinzer

yes it is possible, need more info?, email me. ill send some pics, and
stuff that'll get ya talking..

--
On the Internet, no one can hear you modulate.

---

Old March 22nd 04, 07:54 AM
WG

Yes it is possible and works damn good. In the early 80s I used a 102 inch
stainless steel whip and a home made ground plane, (all home built) to
regularly work Australia and New Zealand. I used a 1 foot square piece of
metal and 4 9 foot pieces of Aluminum electrical conduit for the radials.
The 102 inch whip was mounted in the center of the piece of metal. The mast
mount was a bit tricky to do and it is even trickier to describe but it was
all made out of left over plumbing stuff. It was also able to handle more
power then many of the commercial antennas of the time.

Old March 22nd 04, 01:18 PM
Lancer

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:55:48 -0500, "sxtera"
wrote:

Any body know if it is possible to use a long whip mobile antenna for a base
station antenna, and if it would be worth it to begin with? As you all can
understand, I'm trying to keep costs way down. I am also just starting out.
I have been told that cb radio is dying or dead, but I still hear that
people are still using them. Any information on this matter would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

A whip would work quite well for a base antenna.

Check he

http://tinyurl.com/3ypzf

This one is made from conduit, but you could adapt it to use a whip.
Using conduit should be cheaper, unless you already have the whip.
Old March 23rd 04, 03:12 PM
Tony

If you have metal gutters on the house use it for a ground plane with the 102"
whip mounted to a small L-bracket. Use a C-clamp to hold it temporarily while
moving it along the gutter and keep checking the SWR until its 1:1 then screw
it permanently to the gutter. Works as good as an antron and looks better too.

Old March 23rd 04, 11:10 PM
Argus

The juice isn't worth the squeeze!

Dr. R. C. Long

Old March 24th 04, 04:36 AM
George Kinzer

I'm trying to keep costs way down
add this and that = $$$$$$$$$$$$. He is not wanting to spend money, what
part you did not understand? He now has the info, have a nice day.