Old April 7th 04, 11:22 PM
Jim Hampton

Default one last one, too funy to not pass along true story

Keith,

I assume the turban must be wound one way for the Northern hemisphere and
the other way for the Southern as the winds will turn in opposite directions

You don't really expect me to believe that conversation occured, do you?
LOL

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim

"Keith KC8TCQ" callsign @ qrz dot com wrote in message
a few weeks ago I decided to go get a coffee, and as all I had in the
house was decaf, I went to the local truckstop where some friends of
mine go every evening to shoot the breeze and drink coffee.

I pulled in and I saw the strangest mobile antenna farm I have ever
seen. This guy had antennas of all shapes and sizes mounted every 4
inches square on his trunk. So I walk in, only 4 people in there and
only 2 of them I didn't know, so I said loudly, "who's mobile antenna
farm is parked outside".

This strange looking guy walked up to me wearing military surplus
fatigues, and a bright pink turban on his head and said "those are for
my storm chasing equipment".

Now, being a certified cynic, as well as a trained SKYWARN spotter, I
just had to see what this was all about, so he took me out and showd
me his "highly specialized weather equipment" (his words not mine).

Anyway his equipment consisted of an old beat up 23 channel cb. a
mobile scanner (XTAL controlled), a 7 inch b/w tv he had secured to
his dash with velcro, and a noaa weather radio.

So he had 4 peices of equipment and almost 20 damn antennas. He had
just bought the car and was proud of his "sophisticated system", and
the big self made signs that were pasted on the front window that
proclaimed he was a "professional storm chaser". He then showed me his
prior vehicle a two seater bicycle with similar radios and the
addition of a stolen DirectTV dish mounted to the rear seat.

I didn't have the heart to show him what real equipment looks like so
I thanked him for his dedication and hard work and wished him well.

As I was walking away he said "I see you must know about how turbans
can save you from tornadoes since you didn't ask why I was wearing
one".

I responsed "whaaaaaa????"

He replies "year if you are too close to a tornado and start to get
sucked up, untuck the turban, and as the lose end gets sucked in, you
get spun around like a top, and spin out of the path"

At this point I was laughing so damn hard I started to choke on my
coffee.

---

Old April 8th 04, 02:51 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , "Jim Hampton"
wrote:

Keith,

I assume the turban must be wound one way for the Northern hemisphere and
the other way for the Southern as the winds will turn in opposite directions

Then it would be called a 'nabrut'.

Tearing it up and laying down the law around Tampa Bay!!