Old June 10th 04, 10:11 PM
Totalrod

Default 1957 Buick

I'm new to this group and know very little about CB radios, so please,
no flames! I'm restoring a 1957 Buick Special and want to use a CB in
my car. I'm looking at possibly buying a Cobra 29LTD classic w/ the
supermod upgrade. My only problem is that I don't an antenna showing
on this car. My question is this: If I were to use one of those Helix
coil antennas, and mounted it under the seat, would it work just as
well as a regular antenna on the roof? My theory is that using one of
those helix antennas would compensate for the fact that I'm mounting
it in such a weird location (that is, if location even makes a
difference). Again, I know almost nothing about this sort of stuff.
All I know is that I definately want a CB in my '57 Buick. Any info is
appreciated.
Bryan
Old June 10th 04, 10:23 PM
Jim Hampton

Brian,

Any transmission from within the passenger compartment will be attenuated at
least 10 dB. On 27 MHz, it will likely be 20 dB. Reception will also be
adversely affected the same amount. In other words, you won't be able to
communicate.

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim

"Totalrod" wrote in message
om...
I'm new to this group and know very little about CB radios, so please,
no flames! I'm restoring a 1957 Buick Special and want to use a CB in
my car. I'm looking at possibly buying a Cobra 29LTD classic w/ the
supermod upgrade. My only problem is that I don't an antenna showing
on this car. My question is this: If I were to use one of those Helix
coil antennas, and mounted it under the seat, would it work just as
well as a regular antenna on the roof? My theory is that using one of
those helix antennas would compensate for the fact that I'm mounting
it in such a weird location (that is, if location even makes a
difference). Again, I know almost nothing about this sort of stuff.
All I know is that I definately want a CB in my '57 Buick. Any info is
appreciated.
Bryan

---

Old June 10th 04, 11:21 PM
Rob Mills

"Totalrod" wrote in message
om...

If I were to use one of those Helix coil antennas, and mounted it under

the seat, would it work just as well as a regular antenna on the roof?

Honestly, you would probably do as well by hanging a megaphone out the
window. CB radios are low power and you need to get every little bit out to
get any practical use from them which includes using a very good well tuned
antenna. RM

PS, Still kicking my rear for selling a 55 Century in 1975 that had less
than 30k on it.

Old June 12th 04, 12:23 PM
Steve

Hi, It won't work very well at all.
You can probably still get a CB antenna that looks like a regular
AM/FM car antenna. Not the very best CB antenna in the world but it works
OK
and best of all it looks like a regular antenna.
Good luck and happy motoring!!