Old June 19th 04, 01:40 AM
NetWeasel

Default CB antenna/antennas on a pickup truck

Hi all,
I've got an aluminum tool box in the back of my pickup truck. It's the
usual type that spans the bed right behind the cab.

I'm thinking that it might make a good antenna mounting point. I don't want
to drill into the body of the truck, but I wouldn't mind putting a couple
holes in the toolbox.

I have two questions. The first is: If I mount brackets to the tool box,
will I need some sort of ground strap to connect it to the frame of the
truck to give me a good ground?

The second is: Will I see any real world improvement in performance by
using dual antennas?

I like the look of the trucks that I see with antennas on each side of the
bed box. It's nice for a balanced appearance. I also understand that it's
a bit trickier to adjust SWR with dual antennas. I wouldn't be against
using one as an antenna and simply using the other one to balance out the
look of the truck (although, I guess some folks might think that's silly).

Thanks!
-NW

Old June 19th 04, 01:46 AM
Steveo

"NetWeasel" wrote:
Hi all,
I've got an aluminum tool box in the back of my pickup truck. It's the
usual type that spans the bed right behind the cab.

I'm thinking that it might make a good antenna mounting point. I don't
want to drill into the body of the truck, but I wouldn't mind putting a
couple holes in the toolbox.

I have two questions. The first is: If I mount brackets to the tool
box, will I need some sort of ground strap to connect it to the frame of
the truck to give me a good ground?

Yes..I'd drill the box into the truck frame, that way it won't come
loose in a traffic accident, and it will give you a good ground.
Ground strap would be my last resort..

The second is: Will I see any real world improvement in performance by
using dual antennas?

Not unless you're in Texas and have bull-horns on your hood.

Twin antennas suck..they are too close to each other. Use one
antenna.

--
http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html
Old June 20th 04, 02:50 AM
Leland C. Scott

"NetWeasel" wrote in message
news
Hi all,
I've got an aluminum tool box in the back of my pickup truck. It's the
usual type that spans the bed right behind the cab.

I'm thinking that it might make a good antenna mounting point. I don't

want
to drill into the body of the truck, but I wouldn't mind putting a couple
holes in the toolbox.

Understandable.

I have two questions. The first is: If I mount brackets to the tool box,
will I need some sort of ground strap to connect it to the frame of the
truck to give me a good ground?

Yes. For a quarter wave antenna the ground plane needs to be at least a
quarter wavelength in size too for the antenna to function correctly. The
truck body forms part of the ground plane while the capacitance of the truck
body to earth ground forming the rest of the ground plane in simple terms.

The second is: Will I see any real world improvement in performance by
using dual antennas?

That all depends on your goals. The typical dual antenna setup, when done
right, generates maximum signal strength to the front and to the rear. The
signal strength to the left and right is considerably reduced. The same
applies to your receive signal strength as well.

Long hual truckers normaly are concerned with communicating with other
truckers on the road. Those truckers are going to be either in front or
behind them on the highway. Thus it makes sense to maximize the signal in
those directions, and thus the popularity of the setup.

If your more interested in general communications in any direction then you
really don't want a dual antenna setup. What you want is an antenna location
near the center of the truck, which will as nearly as possible, give you a
uniform signal in all directions. The site you picked, on the tool box,
would be a good one.

I like the look of the trucks that I see with antennas on each side of the
bed box. It's nice for a balanced appearance.

You have to make up your mind, good looks, or good performance. Your typical
passenger truck is not wide enough, you need 9 feet, to properly setup a
dual antenna system.

I also understand that it's
a bit trickier to adjust SWR with dual antennas.

It can be.

I wouldn't be against
using one as an antenna and simply using the other one to balance out the
look of the truck (although, I guess some folks might think that's silly).

Your truck. You have to drive it.

Good Luck.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Wireless Network
Mobile computing
on the go brought
to you by Micro$oft

Old June 20th 04, 03:57 AM
Landshark

"Leland C. Scott" wrote in message

"NetWeasel" wrote in message
[...]

Um, sorry wrong Leland, it makes the signal more omnidirectional.

Long hual truckers normaly are concerned with communicating with other
truckers on the road. Those truckers are going to be either in front or
behind them on the highway. Thus it makes sense to maximize the signal in
those directions, and thus the popularity of the setup.

If your more interested in general communications in any direction then

you
really don't want a dual antenna setup. What you want is an antenna

location
near the center of the truck, which will as nearly as possible, give you a
uniform signal in all directions. The site you picked, on the tool box,
would be a good one.

Again, wrong Leland.

I like the look of the trucks that I see with antennas on each side of

the
bed box. It's nice for a balanced appearance.

If looks is what he wants, fine but I think he wants some sort
of performance.

You have to make up your mind, good looks, or good performance. Your

typical
passenger truck is not wide enough, you need 9 feet, to properly setup a
dual antenna system.

I also understand that it's
a bit trickier to adjust SWR with dual antennas.

Correct, it's a bitch.

It can be.

I wouldn't be against
using one as an antenna and simply using the other one to balance out

the
look of the truck (although, I guess some folks might think that's

silly).

You said it, not I.

Your truck. You have to drive it.

Good Luck.

He'll need it.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

If you have stake bed holes, go to your local muffler shop,
have them bend a sort of "roll bar" for the antenna. Make
a mount in the center of the bar for the antenna. Then
mount it in the stake bed holes, drilling through the inner
bed, into the antenna bar for bolting it up.

Here's a pretty good link on how
antenna's work.

http://www.signalengineering.com/ult..._antennas.html

Landshark

--
Treat people as if they were what
they ought to be and you will help

Old June 20th 04, 04:38 AM
Leland C. Scott

"Landshark" wrote in message
m...
That all depends on your goals. The typical dual antenna setup, when

done
right, generates maximum signal strength to the front and to the rear.

The
signal strength to the left and right is considerably reduced. The same
applies to your receive signal strength as well.

Um, sorry wrong Leland, it makes the signal more omnidirectional.

If done correctly, spaced - phased - good ground plane, it works as I
described.

http://www.bellscb.com/cb_radio_hobb.../antarray.html

Long hual truckers normaly are concerned with communicating with other
truckers on the road. Those truckers are going to be either in front or
behind them on the highway. Thus it makes sense to maximize the signal

in
those directions, and thus the popularity of the setup.

If your more interested in general communications in any direction then

you
really don't want a dual antenna setup. What you want is an antenna

location
near the center of the truck, which will as nearly as possible, give you

uniform signal in all directions. The site you picked, on the tool box,
would be a good one.

Again, wrong Leland.

No. The site above has not only a discussion about antenna patterns, but the
antenna field pattern plots to prove it. I can supply some EZNEC 4.0
simulation files to prove same if you want.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Wireless Network
Mobile computing
on the go brought
to you by Micro$oft

Old June 20th 04, 04:48 AM
Landshark

"Leland C. Scott" wrote in message

"Landshark" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Feel free, but I guess Signal Engineering doesn't
know anything, right?

Landshark

--
That does suck..sometimes you're the
windshield..sometimes you're the bug.

Old June 20th 04, 06:07 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , "Leland C. Scott"
wrote:

"Landshark" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Everyone will think I'm insane for saying this, but Landshark has it
right. In order for co-phased antennas to achieve that ideal figure-8
pattern they must be nearly ideal antennas, which CB antennas are not.
Landshark's link explains why this happens. I wouldn't expect any
significant improvement in the omnidirectional characteristics of
dualies (as the site claims), but I do know they don't provide any
noticable directional gain.

Old June 20th 04, 04:24 PM
Mad Dog

I agree as well, a properly engineered single 102"
will outperform duals anyday.
Most truckers don't understand how and why antennas radiate RF energy and
they run duals because they give a balanced look, as a bonus co-phased
antennas tend to
supplement each other on vehicles with plastic or fiberglass bodies.
The fact is that the trailer blocks a majority of the RF
that co-phased antennas provide to the rear so they end up with a system
that transceives mainly to the front.
The exception to the rule would be a flatbed trailer.
I use a 102" whip on my T2000 which is mounted to a flat bar attached to the
frame that extends past the edge of the trailer which allows the antenna to
"see" behind the trailer.
The antenna is supported roughly 6' above the mounting point using a custom
made plexiglass bracket.
I have also attached 2 braided steel cables to frame which drag the road
during travel and supply a make-shift earth
ground when parked.
I will be flat honest with you and say that this system gets out farther
then i care for sometimes.
It also works well for sky-wave propagation when conditions permit.
My 4x4 truck uses a pedestal mount 102" whip and a
24" x 24" sheet of stainless, the pedestal is mounted to the floor of the
bed 1.5' behind the cab and cut to length with the top of the bed, the
stainless heet is sandwiched between the top of the pedestal and the bottom
of the antenna.
Very powerful system using a highly tuned 25 LTD
--
Mad-Dog

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
In , "Leland C. Scott"
wrote:

om...

Old June 20th 04, 06:00 PM
Leland C. Scott

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
Everyone will think I'm insane for saying this, but Landshark has it
right.

No he doesn't.

In order for co-phased antennas to achieve that ideal figure-8
pattern they must be nearly ideal antennas, which CB antennas are not.

They don't nessessarly need be to be ideal, but the do need to be installed
the same way. By the way no antenna is ideal, but many people have a lot of
success anyway.

Landshark's link explains why this happens. I wouldn't expect any
significant improvement in the omnidirectional characteristics of
dualies (as the site claims), but I do know they don't provide any
noticable directional gain.

If you check the link I provided you will see there is some gain. The gain
does not become noticeable until you have at least a 1/4 wavelength
separation, and at that it is around 2 db or so. On the site I posted the
link for you will see the figure 8 pattern becomes very noticeable for a
half wavelength between antennas. Getting to that degree of separation is
much easier to do on a semi because of their size, and the fact the antennas
are further apart from being mounted on the side view mirrors. Passenger
vehicles just don't have the size needed.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Wireless Network
Mobile computing
on the go brought
to you by Micro$oft

Old June 20th 04, 06:26 PM
Landshark

"Leland C. Scott" wrote in message

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
Everyone will think I'm insane for saying this, but Landshark has it
right.

No he doesn't.

Of course I do Leland, you just don't want me too

In order for co-phased antennas to achieve that ideal figure-8
pattern they must be nearly ideal antennas, which CB antennas are

not.

How would you know Leland? Remember, you don't like
CB, let alone talk or use or own one.

They don't nessessarly need be to be ideal, but the do need to be

installed
the same way. By the way no antenna is ideal, but many people have a lot

of
success anyway.

Landshark's link explains why this happens. I wouldn't expect any
significant improvement in the omnidirectional characteristics of
dualies (as the site claims), but I do know they don't provide any
noticable directional gain.

If you check the link I provided you will see there is some gain. The gain
does not become noticeable until you have at least a 1/4 wavelength
separation, and at that it is around 2 db or so. On the site I posted the
link for you will see the figure 8 pattern becomes very noticeable for a
half wavelength between antennas.

The point was that it was a much better omni-directional pattern
on Dual antenna's, to which that is achieved. You are saying
that Signal Engineering, which soul business is antenna's is wrong,
good luck on trying to convince others of that.

Getting to that degree of separation is
much easier to do on a semi because of their size, and the fact the

antennas
are further apart from being mounted on the side view mirrors. Passenger
vehicles just don't have the size needed.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Landshark