Old June 22nd 04, 09:11 PM
Jim Hampton

"Landshark" wrote in message
m...

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
Hello, Mopar

Yep, we *love* Vadallia onions. They may well be the same onion; I

don't
know. However, they have to be grown in a very specific area. There

are
some farmers mad as heck that live adjacent to a farm that grows

Vadallias,
but if they grow 'em, they can't sell them as Vadallias as it wasn't

grown
in the "approved" area (read - control output to keep price higher).

They are really good. I've found sometimes they can be a bit strong

(likely
growing conditions), but usually they are very mild. I love cutting a

*big*
slab of Vadallia to put on a hamburg. Yummy!

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim

Cut them thick, soak them in a little Olive oil &
Red win vinegar, season throw on BBQ

Landshark

--
That does suck..sometimes you're the
windshield..sometimes you're the bug.

All you guys are making me *hungry*!!!

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

---

Old June 22nd 04, 09:14 PM
Nicolai Carpathia

heheh hot pastrami and swiss on rye, would
kill for a garlic onion bagel with cream cheese
and smoked salmon though.
Oh and I got my steaming cup of Jamaica
Blue Mt coffee
-------------------------------------

You're speaking my language loud and clear.........the Jamaican crop was
absolutely lousy two years ago and I went to the Ethiopian Harrar (a
close runner up, in addition to a distinct Arabica Hawaiian bean offered
by Gevalia),,,,did the Blue Mountain Crop rebound? Sometimes they get
two growing seasons per year. I couldn't justify the price for an
inferior bean that is supposed to set the standard,,we drank Blue
Mountain for years and until it changed two years ago due to a poor crop
year..,,,,I haven't tried this year's crop yet,.........nothing like
world class whole bean from a press out of a ceramic mug. Ditto for the
smoked salmon, although smoked mullet is a dead tie when making spread.
--
KC8TCQ
Know thyself. If you need

Old June 23rd 04, 02:28 AM
Keith Hosman KC8TCQ

Nicolai Carpathia wrote:

[...]

Well, This years crop was good, and there is a bean that comes from the
next mountain over that is damn near as good. The local coffee shop
orders the whole beans for me, and I grind them fresh for each pot. heck
I love the smell of fresh ground beans as much as I love drinking the
fifnal product.
Old June 23rd 04, 02:35 AM
Keith Hosman KC8TCQ

itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge wrote:

Keith Hosman KC8TCQ wrote in
:

itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge wrote:

Keith Hosman KC8TCQ wrote in
:

itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge wrote:

Keith Hosman KC8TCQ wrote in
:

Steveo wrote:

Vidalia Onions are in at the market here in Ohio now..YUM!

A guy right here in town grows Vidalia's, and yes they are
great.

Then they really aren't Vidalia onion's. Vidalia is a town located
in georgia. of course famous for these sweet big onion's.

http://www.vidaliaonion.com/how.htm

yeah and champange only comes from that region of france,
otherewise it is sparkling wine,but it is still the same, the name
is for the
location
of the original.

How to Grow Vidalia Onions

Uunfortunately you can't... that is unless you live in the special
Vidalia Georgia region.

The onions are actually your standard Yellow Granex variety that you
can buy at your local garden center. The secret to the sweet Vidalia
Onions is that they are grown in soil that can only be found in the
unique region of Vidalia Georgia. The soil has a very unique blend of
nutrients that give the onions their sweetness.

Whatever there Mr. Garden Master, but if the ohio department of
agriculture, and the USDA says these ohio grown onions are Vidalias,
I'll believe them over you, they have more experiance and education in
the field than you do.

Post a link then that shows where ohio agriculture calls them Vidalia
onions, they are simply yellow granex onions they are not vidalias.
Don't get all huffy and puffy when someone corrects you, take it like a
man and either show you are right or accept you are wrong. sorry to make
you feel so small.

Ok let me correct myself, Vidalias are gorn in GA fine, but it is a
spanish onion, as ar the Maui, and other variety, and those (spanish)are
grown everywhere, just like apples, granny smith apples are grown in
ohio, indiana, michigan, just like red Delicious are grown all over.

So you are correct "Vidalias" are only grown in the Vidalia area, but
spanish onions, which is what "Vidalias" are, are grown everywhere
including hawaii. And having been a chef for many years, I have worked
with every variety you can imagine, and have sampled them all, and the
ones Tracy grows here locally are just as good as the "Vidalias" .

Old June 23rd 04, 02:42 AM
jim

Landshark wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message

Vidalia Onions are in at the market here in Ohio now..YUM!

Pretty good, sweet Maui onions are great too.

Landshark

Maui is woweeeeeee
Old June 23rd 04, 03:48 AM
I ain't George either

Steveo wrote:

[...]

Keith, you know he'll argue just for the sake of arguing. Most of us that
are sane here understand what you mean. You may as well let it go, and let
the troll beat his head against the bridge.

Old June 23rd 04, 06:34 AM
Landshark

"jim" wrote in message
.net...
Landshark wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message

Vidalia Onions are in at the market here in Ohio now..YUM!

Pretty good, sweet Maui onions are great too.

Landshark

Maui is woweeeeeee

I don't know if you guys get them, but they
are real sweet and damn tasty

Landshark

--
Courage is what it takes to stand up
and speak; courage is also what it

Old June 23rd 04, 06:34 AM
Landshark

Steveo wrote:

[...]

Hear Hear Keith, Let the troll pound sand...................

Bono petite...........

Landshark

Old June 23rd 04, 12:19 PM
Steveo

"Landshark" wrote:
"jim" wrote in message
.net...
Landshark wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message

Vidalia Onions are in at the market here in Ohio now..YUM!

Pretty good, sweet Maui onions are great too.

Landshark

Maui is woweeeeeee

I don't know if you guys get them, but they
are real sweet and damn tasty

Landshark

We honeymooned on Maui, it was sweet and damn tasty!