Old July 1st 04, 04:17 AM
Patrick

Default The screwdriver expert's guide -> Is it worth the 20 bucks?

Looks like it has some good stuff in it that I'm interested in
learning about. Is it worth the 20 bucks? If not, any other good
reads?

Patrick
Old July 3rd 04, 09:08 AM
Peter

"Patrick" wrote in message
news
Looks like it has some good stuff in it that I'm interested in
learning about. Is it worth the 20 bucks? If not, any other good
reads?

Hi Patrick.

It covers basic repair information for those with no technical background.
If all you want to do is tinker in your own radios and pass the difficult
jobs to a real tech, then it will do fine. If you want to really get into
repairs and mods, you should look for a book that covers at least basic
electronics and radio theory.
With the theory, you can work out the rest.

The trained monkey approach may be fine if you are just tinkering with your
own equipment and can only hurt yourself, but it really helps to understand
more of why things are as they are so that you don't do repairs or mods that
seem OK but can cause serious problems.
It should always be remembered that high voltages can kill, so mains sets
and tube amps can be dangerous. Basic safety needs to be learned if you want
to look at any such equipment.

One fine example was a repair I once saw, where the complaint was that it
was "not getting out well". The strange thing was that it was putting out
about 7 Watts, but not getting as far as a 4 Watt radio.
The problem was a modification inside that caused it to spread it's output
across not only the CB band, but also Amateur frequencies. I am sure that
the "rig doctor" involved saw no reason why his circuit should not be
used... it seemed to work. Basic theory would have told him what would
happen.

Regards,

Peter.
http://www.citizensband.radiouk.com/
http://www.electronics.radiouk.com/

Old July 8th 04, 03:42 AM
Patrick

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 09:08:23 +0100, "Peter"
wrote:

"Patrick" wrote in message
news
[...]

Been there done that. I used to work for a local computer repair shop
here in Columbus Ohio and one day I happen to be replacing a
deflection board (as I had done many times before) in a Apple 19"
monitor and I forgot to discharge the CRT before unplugging it. I
believe my heart stopped beating for a few seconds. Needless to say
from that day forward, I always remembered to discharge the CRT tube.

Old July 8th 04, 08:31 AM
Peter

"Patrick" wrote in message

Been there done that. I used to work for a local computer repair shop
here in Columbus Ohio and one day I happen to be replacing a
deflection board (as I had done many times before) in a Apple 19"
monitor and I forgot to discharge the CRT before unplugging it. I
believe my heart stopped beating for a few seconds. Needless to say
from that day forward, I always remembered to discharge the CRT tube.

It's so easy to forget or overlook something, everyone makes mistakes. This
is why it is always best not to work alone on high voltage electronics or
electrics. That extra person could save your life, as long as all the
engineers know life saving techniques.

I think you will find that Lou Franklin now offers free PDF downloads of
some of his books from his site.
You could also take a look at my two sites below. Both are purely
information sites, all for free.