Old August 5th 04, 06:39 PM
Chris

Default Antenna Question

"cb" wrote in message
news:AbkQc.229540$JR4.30011@attbi_s54...
| YOU NEED TO PURCHASE EITHER A K-40 OR A WILSON 1000 ANTENNA. DON'T BUY
| ANYTHING ELSE. WASTE OF MONEY.
|
| CB

At the risk of replying to a troll, I have to put in my $.02. K40 and Wilson
both make respectable antennas but they are not the only choices. 102" whips
are cheap and hard to beat. The open coil antennas and fiberglass whips can
also be good. Just don't get one shorter than 4ft unless you have no other
choice. Performance drops off dramatically at less than 4 ft.

Any antenna for CB that is less than 1/4 wavelength (102" whip with a
spring) is a compromise. There are, however, other things to consider. A 6
ft. antenna on the roof of a car can outperform a 1/4 wave whip on the
bumper. A 102" whip on the roof doesn't perform at all if it gets knocked
off by an underpass. Just use the longest antenna you can, mounted as high
as you can, and as close to the center as you can, and you'll be OK.

Chris