Old August 11th 04, 03:11 PM
Twistedhed

From: (Chad=A0Wahls)
"Twistedhed" wrote in message
... From:
(Chad Wahls) I've been shopping for a base CB. The first
one I was sold on was the Cherokee CBS1000, it looked easy to use and
modify and it had weather channels. Something good in the sticks in
Illinois during tornado season.
but.... The Galaxy DX2547 has been catching my eye. It appears to be a
more robust and intuative radio, Although lacking weather band (weather
radios are cheap) it looks as if it would smoke the cherokee from
looking at the inside photos.
The cherokee's are going for way more than I am willing to pay for a
radio that just doesn't look that robust, I would gladly pay the galaxy
price for a more quality product.
What are your takes on these products or do you have any other
suggestions?
Chad
_
Hello Chad! Go with the Galaxy. The Cherokee CBS 1000 was a flash in the
pan and no longer manufactured and for too many reasons. The Tomahawk
was the knock-off of this radio and much better. It had FM instead of
the weather band. The 2547 is a hearty radio and I have heard nothing
but great things about it. Only had one chance to play with that model,
but it was a great operating radio.

Seen a price? They are on E-bay new now for

$269, seems to be the lowest in my limited

search as of now. There are no used ones. I

feel this is a good thing!

Chad

_
I haven't paid attention to the price since they arrived on the market.
I think they were a bit more than that when they first came out, but
that seems about right. I have a friend in western Michigan who has one
and raves about it. Good luck with your purchase and let me know how it
turns out. No used ones to be had is probably a good thing. Those that
bought them must be keeping them.

Old August 15th 04, 03:27 PM
Wby

1. You can see my review of the CBS1000 on my website:
http://www.cbgazette.com/reviews.html
2. If you're willing to spend the money for a 2547, then buy a used ham rig.
It's illegal to use a Ham rig on CB freq's but you'll find a used one is
much better quality, and odd's are you'd make mod's on the 2547 that would
make it just as illegal.
Suggestions:
Icom IC-725 (used prices $200-$325)
Yaesu FT-101 "The Brick" (used prices $150-$300)
Kenwood TS-430S (about $300)
Yaesu FT-757 (about $300)
or a used CB Base like:
Cobra 2000
Cobra 139 (40ch version)
Cobra 135 (40ch version)
Realistic TRC-457
Stalker XX
Teaberry Stalker 202
Stoner Pro40
i.e. - just about anything made from 78-85

Personally, I use a CB for CB Frequencies. My No.1 Son is the Stoner Pro-40
(no AM, only SSB). My backup's a TRC-457 and a Stalker XX)

Old August 16th 04, 02:15 PM
Chad Wahls

Thanks for the reply. I too intend to use it on CB freqs. I also intend to
get my license soon, I am moving now and plan on getting it within a month.
The only other base I have consideren that is on your list is the Cobra 139.
I like the 2000's but they seem a tad pricey and most I've seen are modded
all to hell and have been run to death, and they still command quite a
penny. I will be living close to an interstate so rejection is needed, it
also needs to be fairly easy to operate as the Mrs will use it to contact
when I'm on the land (another reason a Ham rig is out of the question for
this app)

I will probably have a ham and CB rig, I was looking for something stout and
new. I will do more research, your review on the CBS1000 is on par with
what I thought also, I just don't like the looks of the insides as much as
the 2547. Once again thanks, you have given me quite a few radios to read
about!

Chad

Old August 19th 04, 12:27 AM
Wby

well, he "could" buy a Siltronx 1011-D and use it on CB, and by the time it
warms up and stabilizes, he'll have his ham ticket and it will have drifted
up to 10 meters!!

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message
[...]

Lightning Strike & Concrete Base Explosion Jason Dugas Antenna 10 March 4th 04 08:54 PM
FA: TRC-458 Base CB Andy Cogswell CB 16 March 3rd 04 04:38 AM
Comprehensive list of tube base types? Simon Boatanchors 5 January 28th 04 01:01 PM
"Remote Base" operation with the Kenwood TH-F6A (was: "Remote Base" operation with Icom IC-2720H) [email protected] Equipment 0 September 9th 03 02:56 PM
Base vs. mobile radios Lou CB 8 September 4th 03 11:53 AM