Old August 12th 04, 04:26 PM
Dr.X

Default chipswitch?

"Dr.X" Dr.X@null wrote in message
. ..
Is Bills 2 way the only place to buy a chipswitch for an hr2600?

Thanks
-Dr.X

I guess I'm not gettin' out....

BREAKER!

;-)

Dr.X

Old August 13th 04, 07:22 PM
Dr.X

"M-Tech" wrote in message
You're gettin' out Dr X.....I just can't give ya any info on that
directly....only indirectly

Thanks M-Tech. I thought I was gonna have to get some extra watts to be
heard. :-)

I did that search before and found no one else claiming to sell it. I guess
I'm outta luck.

Thanks a bunch.

Dr.X (at the sand pile, happily sitting in the evacuation zone)

Old August 13th 04, 07:35 PM
Steveo

"Dr.X" Dr.X@null wrote:
"M-Tech" wrote in message
You're gettin' out Dr X.....I just can't give ya any info on that
directly....only indirectly

Thanks M-Tech. I thought I was gonna have to get some extra watts to be
heard. :-)

I did that search before and found no one else claiming to sell it. I
guess I'm outta luck.

Thanks a bunch.

Dr.X (at the sand pile, happily sitting in the evacuation zone)

Sorry if you answered this already, X. What's wrong with getting
it from Bills?

Hope you're ok with that storm..looks like they've upgraded it.
Old August 13th 04, 09:46 PM
Dr.X

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Dr.X" Dr.X@null wrote:
"M-Tech" wrote in message
You're gettin' out Dr X.....I just can't give ya any info on that
directly....only indirectly

Thanks M-Tech. I thought I was gonna have to get some extra watts to be
heard. :-)

I did that search before and found no one else claiming to sell it. I
guess I'm outta luck.

Thanks a bunch.

Dr.X (at the sand pile, happily sitting in the evacuation zone)

Sorry if you answered this already, X. What's wrong with getting
it from Bills?

Bills says 1 month before I can get it. :-(

Hope you're ok with that storm..looks like they've upgraded it.

Thanks for the concern Steveo.
Just as they upgraded to cat 4, Charlie danced to the east. I'll be find I
but wonder about those that evacuated into that direction.

Dr.X

Old August 13th 04, 11:16 PM
M-Tech

You installing yourself? Or is Bill doing that install as well? Keep me
posted. I'm picking up a virgin 2510 tomorrow that I'm considering have the
same swap.

Thought I read they had an adapter that fit into the original socket and
converted it over to the pin-out of the chipswitch? So you could go back
and forth(if needed). That way, no soldering/desoldering is necessary.

Keep me posted:-)
Don

Old August 13th 04, 11:37 PM
Steveo

"Dr.X" Dr.X@null wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Dr.X" Dr.X@null wrote:
"M-Tech" wrote in message
You're gettin' out Dr X.....I just can't give ya any info on that
directly....only indirectly

Thanks M-Tech. I thought I was gonna have to get some extra watts to
be heard. :-)

I did that search before and found no one else claiming to sell it. I
guess I'm outta luck.

Thanks a bunch.

Dr.X (at the sand pile, happily sitting in the evacuation zone)

Sorry if you answered this already, X. What's wrong with getting
it from Bills?

Bills says 1 month before I can get it. :-(

Hope you're ok with that storm..looks like they've upgraded it.

Thanks for the concern Steveo.
Just as they upgraded to cat 4, Charlie danced to the east. I'll be find
I but wonder about those that evacuated into that direction.

Dr.X

Good news for you on the direction turn, like you said..

One month goes by like a week anymore!
Old August 14th 04, 12:11 AM
Dr.X

"M-Tech" wrote in message
You installing yourself? Or is Bill doing that install as well? Keep me

Yes, I'm installing it myself.

posted. I'm picking up a virgin 2510 tomorrow that I'm considering have

the
same swap.

From what I understand, the chipswitch is the way to go with the 2510 too,
even if you are able to mod the radio without it. I have my 2600 in 11m now
with just a xtal swap (22Mhz to 20) but I do want all the features the
chipswitch has to offer.

Thought I read they had an adapter that fit into the original socket and
converted it over to the pin-out of the chipswitch?

My 2600 does not have a socket. The cpu is soldered directly to the board. I
intend to remove it and replace it with a socket.

So you could go back
and forth(if needed). That way, no soldering/desoldering is necessary.

I don't see an advantage to being able to switch between the chips at will
since the new chip is able to do everything the old one can do, but I could
be wrong. As for the no soldering/desoldering, how can you be absolutly sure
to have a connection to all 62 pins? I'll look around for more info and pass
it along if I find any. I would be interested to know how it's done. I
remember adding memory to a computer back in the old comdor 64 days by
ganging chips on top of the original chips to double the ram. Bent one pin
up (chip select pin) on each chip and ran a line between them all plus a
couple of diods. Worked great. Perhaps what you're talking about is
something similar.

Keep me posted:-)
Don

Will do.
Dr.X

Old August 14th 04, 01:58 AM
M-Tech

Okay, now I see. You can solder it directly to the board :-)

For some reason, I thought you had to use a socket.

Don

"M-Tech" wrote in message
Well I could be completely wrong then...I thought you had to buy the

socket
and solder that on the board. Then, push the chip in....as seen he
http://www.chipswitch.com/Bills_Socket.htm

Hmm...if you do a good job, maybe I'll let you do mine. LOL!!

Don

"M-Tech" wrote in message
You installing yourself? Or is Bill doing that install as well? Keep

me

Yes, I'm installing it myself.

posted. I'm picking up a virgin 2510 tomorrow that I'm considering

have
the
same swap.

From what I understand, the chipswitch is the way to go with the 2510

too,

Old August 14th 04, 05:22 AM
Dr.X

"M-Tech" wrote in message
Well I could be completely wrong then...I thought you had to buy the

socket
and solder that on the board. Then, push the chip in....as seen he
http://www.chipswitch.com/Bills_Socket.htm

Hmm...if you do a good job, maybe I'll let you do mine. LOL!!

Don

Yeah, that link shows the socket. But you remove the old chip, and in it's
place you put the socket and plug the new chip into it. This also means that
if you find that you need to put back the old chip, you can just unplug the
chipswitch and plug in the old one without having to do any soldering.

Putting in the socket does require you to desolder the old chip and solder
in the new socket though.

-Dr.X

PS: previous message said 62 pin socket...I meant to say 64.

Old August 14th 04, 05:24 AM
Dr.X

"M-Tech" wrote in message
Okay, now I see. You can solder it directly to the board :-)

For some reason, I thought you had to use a socket.

Don

You don't have to, but it's the smart thing to do. One advantage is the
ability to revert back to the old chip. Another is that you do not have to
apply heat to the new chip to install it 'cuz you applied the heat to the
socket instead.

-Dr.X