Old August 15th 04, 09:26 PM
Leland C. Scott

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
Measure it. If you actually find this impedance "bump", maybe you can
explain why impedance is so significant for these connectors

You checked your E-mail? You have the detailed answer there in the attached
zip file.

while
impedance will "unnecessarily complicate things" for mag-mounts.

You have "unnecessarily complicate things" because you don't understand the
difference.

Are
you saying that impedance is important for connectors but not for
antenna grounds?

See the file I sent to you.

Why not fall back to your "pure capacitance" excuse
where UHF connectors are concerned?

Why don't you explain it. Funny why "N" connectors and other "constant
impedance" connectors are used at UHF almost exclusively.

Make up your mind, Leland. What's important -- impedance or 'pure
capacitance'?

Its very clear to me Frank. What is also clear is you don't.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Wireless Network
Mobile computing
on the go brought
to you by Micro$oft

Old August 15th 04, 09:51 PM
Steveo

"Leland C. Scott" wrote in message
You checked your E-mail?

When are you going to reply to my emails, nad?

Old August 15th 04, 10:22 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:26:51 -0400, "Leland C. Scott"
wrote in :

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
.. .
Measure it. If you actually find this impedance "bump", maybe you can
explain why impedance is so significant for these connectors

You checked your E-mail? You have the detailed answer there in the attached
zip file.

Mailbox is empty. Did you remove the "nospam"?

while
impedance will "unnecessarily complicate things" for mag-mounts.

You have "unnecessarily complicate things" because you don't understand the
difference.

Now that's an interesting answer..... the difference between impedance
and capacitance is that I don't understand the difference?

Are
you saying that impedance is important for connectors but not for
antenna grounds?

See the file I sent to you.

Checked again. Still empty.

Why not fall back to your "pure capacitance" excuse
where UHF connectors are concerned?

Why don't you explain it.

Alrighty.....

Any capacitor is basically a network of capacitance, inductance and
resistance. The circuit can't see the "pure capacitance" without
seeing the inductance and resistance, hence the necessity of measuring
a capacitor as an impedance since impedance = resistance + reactance.
And because frequency is directly related to reactance, impedance
changes in relation to frequency. The other issue to consider is the
dielectric of the capacitance, which will affect the frequency
linearity (Z/f curve) of the device. For all practical purposes, only
vacuum and air capacitors are linear in this respect -- all others are
not. This means that as the frequency changes, so will the resistance
and/or 'pure' capacitance, or both. And this is why you -must- measure
impedance at the operating frequency.

As far as connectors are concerned, both N-type and UHF-type
connectors are low-impedance coaxial designs, so unless the wavelength
is a few cm or higher there will be little or no reflection due to
impedance mismatch (assuming there -is- an impedance mismatch). With
that out of the way, the insulation is the other cause of concern. It
is effectively the dielectric of the capacitance between the center
conductor and the shield. So in this respect, the quality of the
connector depends on the quality of the insulation. Cheap insulation
will have poor high-frequency characteristics, while.... well, you get
the idea. So if there is power loss it will be due to poor insulation
properties (cheap materials, contamination, etc.). And -that- is why
the N-type connectors are preferred for UHF and up since it is (or
rather, it's -supposed- to be) a sealed connector, thereby preventing
humidity and other crud from contaminating the dielectric (or
corroding the contacts) and therefore causing power loss.

There you have it. It's ironic that while impedance is the primary
factor in both these issues, you have misunderstood both from totally
opposite ends of the spectrum. But hey, nobody's perfect.

Funny why "N" connectors and other "constant
impedance" connectors are used at UHF almost exclusively.

Make up your mind, Leland. What's important -- impedance or 'pure
capacitance'?

Its very clear to me Frank. What is also clear is you don't.

Checked again. Mailbox is still empty.

Old August 15th 04, 10:40 PM
Steveo

"Leland C. Scott" wrote:
You checked your E-mail?

Have you checked yours, coward?

14 mile road!

--
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change ready.
Old August 15th 04, 10:50 PM
Frank Gilliland

wrote in :

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
.. .
Measure it. If you actually find this impedance "bump", maybe you can
explain why impedance is so significant for these connectors

You checked your E-mail? You have the detailed answer there in the attached
zip file.

I finally got the file but the images are sourced for a local
directory. If you want to send an html that will pull pics from a
remote website, the full url must be used in the call or the website
must be sourced in the header.

Old August 15th 04, 11:25 PM
Leland C. Scott

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
Mailbox is empty. Did you remove the "nospam"?

I did. In fact I just sent it again just now. It does have a file attached
so if your E-mail program filters out mail with attachments you will have to
turn it off.

while
impedance will "unnecessarily complicate things" for mag-mounts.

You have "unnecessarily complicate things" because you don't understand

the
difference.

Now that's an interesting answer..... the difference between impedance
and capacitance is that I don't understand the difference?

You haven't impressed me with knowing the difference. I was addressing a
capacitance measurement only, exclusively and separate from any other
electrical property. You can't seem to figure out that your impedance
measurement combines capacitance, inductance, and resistance all together.

If I took a 1000pf vacuum capacitor and connected it in series with a 1000
ohm resistor, placed it in a black box you can't open, and brought out two
leads for you to connect to your Z-bridge then asked you to make your
measurement you would tell me I have a crappy capacitor. Then if I wanted to
give you somthing to think about I can stick a small inductor in series with
the capacitor and resistor to give some strange impedance variations with
frequency. Now try to figure out what's in the box from your Z-bridge
measurement. That's the problem you have with your measurements where the
black box is the mag-mount. Making a capacitance measurenet, or some simple
calculations, would be like peeking inside the black box and saying, Oh now
I see what is going on.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Wireless Network
Mobile computing
on the go brought
to you by Micro$oft

Old August 16th 04, 12:02 AM
Leland C. Scott

"Steveo" wrote in message
When are you going to reply to my emails, nad?

What E-mail?

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Wireless Network
Mobile computing
on the go brought
to you by Micro$oft

Old August 16th 04, 12:05 AM
Steveo

"Leland C. Scott" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
When are you going to reply to my emails, nad?

What E-mail?

The three I've sent to .

--
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change ready.
Old August 16th 04, 12:11 AM
Leland C. Scott

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
I finally got the file but the images are sourced for a local
directory. If you want to send an html that will pull pics from a
remote website, the full url must be used in the call or the website
must be sourced in the header.

Frank it works just fine on my laptop. I stuck the whole thing in a
directory named "temp". You should have ONE file named
"AdapterSWRcalsRevC.htm, and ONE DIRECTORY named "AdapterSWRcalsRevC_images"
with everything else in it. That should work.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Wireless Network
Mobile computing
on the go brought
to you by Micro$oft

Old August 16th 04, 12:17 AM
Leland C. Scott

Frank check your E-mail again. It looks like the image files didn't go
through. I'll send them separately.
--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO