Old September 29th 04, 03:03 PM
Chad Wahls

Default Direct burial cable

Does anyone make a direct burial 50 Ohm coax cable? or am I best off
burying non burial cable and replacing often?

I'm going stealth with a Dipole.

Chad

Old September 29th 04, 07:18 PM
sideband

LMR 400 from Cable Experts.. A bit expensive, but worth it.

I think some of the LMR240's are also direct bury... check it out.

cableexperts.com or somesuch.

-SSB

Old September 29th 04, 07:20 PM
Psychiatrist to keyclowns

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message ...
Does anyone make a direct burial 50 Ohm coax cable? or am I best off
burying non burial cable and replacing often?

I'm going stealth with a Dipole.

Chad

Do it up right and good quality plain old coax will last 10 years at
least. Good connections, waterproofing the connections, and running
cable under eaves, etc. is the ticket.
Old September 29th 04, 08:09 PM
Chad Wahls

"Psychiatrist to keyclowns" wrote in message
m...
"Chad Wahls" wrote in message
Does anyone make a direct burial 50 Ohm coax cable? or am I best off
burying non burial cable and replacing often?

I'm going stealth with a Dipole.

Chad

Do it up right and good quality plain old coax will last 10 years at
least. Good connections, waterproofing the connections, and running
cable under eaves, etc. is the ticket.

I would like to bury it as it will be leaving the radio room through a wall,
then outside to a lightning arrestor. It will then travel under ground to an
outbuilding where it will terminate to the connector that will run into the
trees.

Honestly with as much as I change my mind it probably won't be in use that
long and a big-ol hunk of PVC will allow for future pulls and be cheap.

Thanks all for the suggestions!!!
Chad

Old September 29th 04, 08:12 PM
sideband

Poor advice, Doug, or whomever you are...

Most coax will leach PVC's into the ground very quickly after burying.
If PVC's come out of the outer jacket, microscopic holes are left in
the outer insulation, allowing water to penetrate to the braid and
leach up in both directions. This will ruin the coax within the year.

If the coax isn't specified as "direct bury", don't bury it without
sleeving it in PVC, copper, or iron pipe first.

Like I said before, the LMR lines, specified for Direct Bury are
great. They'll last a good while underground, and you get the benefit
of better loss figures than most other coax.

-SSB

Old September 30th 04, 12:18 AM
Kathy Lee

sideband wrote:

Poor advice, Doug, or whomever you are...

Most coax will leach PVC's into the ground very quickly after burying.
If PVC's come out of the outer jacket, microscopic holes are left in
the outer insulation, allowing water to penetrate to the braid and
leach up in both directions. This will ruin the coax within the year.

If the coax isn't specified as "direct bury", don't bury it without
sleeving it in PVC, copper, or iron pipe first.

Like I said before, the LMR lines, specified for Direct Bury are
great. They'll last a good while underground, and you get the benefit
of better loss figures than most other coax.

-SSB

You leave my Doug alone, he is under a lot of stress.

Please quit picking on him.

Kathy
Old September 30th 04, 01:47 AM
sideband

Tell ya what, Kathy.. You tell him to quit spreading false
information, quit lambasting those in the newsgroup who have all the
facts, and quit playing this silly game. When he does all of the
above, I'll leave him alone, too.

When he stops, I'll stop.

-SSB