Old October 7th 04, 09:24 PM
Alex

Default Attn- Frank Gilliland

When you have the time could you make me a list of everything I need
to do the side mount or ball mount antenna. I want to go for the 9'
whip, and plus I will be able to learn along the way. I'm even gonna
practice on the soldering. Can all of this be purchased atr Radio
Shack in case i can't find it anywhere else. If you think one is
easier and just as good as the other then we can just shoot for the
parts for the one you think a newbie should start with. Waiting on
your reply so I can head to the store
Old October 7th 04, 10:10 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:24:26 -0400, Alex
wrote in :

When you have the time could you make me a list of everything I need
to do the side mount or ball mount antenna. I want to go for the 9'
whip, and plus I will be able to learn along the way. I'm even gonna
practice on the soldering. Can all of this be purchased atr Radio
Shack in case i can't find it anywhere else. If you think one is
easier and just as good as the other then we can just shoot for the
parts for the one you think a newbie should start with. Waiting on
your reply so I can head to the store

I'll have to get back to you on that. And the 9' whip may not be the
best choice for a van because you would have to install the mount low,
and a good portion of the antenna is going to be right next to the
body of the van. Do you have a pic of your van (or one of the same
make/model)? That would help to suggest a good spot.

Old October 7th 04, 10:12 PM
Alex

http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?ReviewID=16
Old October 7th 04, 10:14 PM
Alex

wrote in :

When you have the time could you make me a list of everything I need
to do the side mount or ball mount antenna. I want to go for the 9'
whip, and plus I will be able to learn along the way. I'm even gonna
practice on the soldering. Can all of this be purchased atr Radio
Shack in case i can't find it anywhere else. If you think one is
easier and just as good as the other then we can just shoot for the
parts for the one you think a newbie should start with. Waiting on
your reply so I can head to the store

I'll have to get back to you on that. And the 9' whip may not be the
best choice for a van because you would have to install the mount low,
and a good portion of the antenna is going to be right next to the
body of the van. Do you have a pic of your van (or one of the same
make/model)? That would help to suggest a good spot.

*LOL* Why cant I just buy the 102" and stick it in my spring loaded
magnet mount that i have now. Hell, I'm already getting frustrated,
but gonna try it
Old October 7th 04, 10:38 PM
Dr.X

wrote:

*LOL* Why cant I just buy the 102" and stick it in my spring loaded
magnet mount that i have now. Hell, I'm already getting frustrated,
but gonna try it

Alex, have you looked at the Willson 1000/5000 ?

I have a 1000 on my full size van. On top, dead center. I'm very happy with
it. I get out good with it. I would use a 9' if it wern't so God-awfull
ugly. :-)

-Dr.X

Old October 7th 04, 10:57 PM
Alex

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:38:53 -0400, "Dr.X" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

*LOL* Why cant I just buy the 102" and stick it in my spring loaded
magnet mount that i have now. Hell, I'm already getting frustrated,
but gonna try it

Alex, have you looked at the Willson 1000/5000 ?

I have a 1000 on my full size van. On top, dead center. I'm very happy with
it. I get out good with it. I would use a 9' if it wern't so God-awfull
ugly. :-)

-Dr.X

Thats what i was thinking about. I still may, but also got an itch to
learn about making one as well. Where did you get your wilson? If
online could you give me the URL
Old October 7th 04, 11:24 PM
Frank Gilliland

wrote in :

[...]

I wouldn't even try a ball-mount on that. The previous suggestion of a
Wilson 1000 (or just about any other medium-sized whip) dead center on
the roof would be better, although I wouldn't put a 9' whip up there.
Myself, I would probably make a bracket to fit between the fender and
hood close to the front, use a medium whip for driving around town,
and keep a 9' whip in the van for long-distance road-trips or DXing
from hilltops.

Old October 7th 04, 11:45 PM
Dr.X

"Alex" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:38:53 -0400, "Dr.X" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

*LOL* Why cant I just buy the 102" and stick it in my spring loaded
magnet mount that i have now. Hell, I'm already getting frustrated,
but gonna try it

Alex, have you looked at the Willson 1000/5000 ?

I have a 1000 on my full size van. On top, dead center. I'm very happy

with
it. I get out good with it. I would use a 9' if it wern't so God-awfull
ugly. :-)

-Dr.X

Thats what i was thinking about. I still may, but also got an itch to
learn about making one as well. Where did you get your wilson? If
online could you give me the URL

I've not bought one online before but you can call 1-800-541-6116 to find a
dealer. You can read about it all over the place, but I think the most
complete info can be found at http://www.wilsonantenna.com/ .

I got my latest one used, but I have bought them new in the past. I was also
a dealer for a while down here in Fl.

Wilsons are not cheap. Especially the mag mount. But I'll bet you'll love it
once you get it. I wouldn't use any other antenna ('cept maybe that 9' whip
if it weren't so damned ugly). My van is new. '04. I wouldn't want to uglify
it with that 1/4 wave mobile ground plane. The Wilson looks way better.
Especially on a black van with tinted windows. Looking creapy like that is
way better than looking stupid. lol. :-P

-Dr.X

Old October 7th 04, 11:58 PM
M-Tech

I'd buy a wilson center loaded antenna with a lip mount and put it left side
where windshield cowling meets the hood....ON the the hood. It would look
like a radio antenna and get out fairly well.

Sure the wilson 1000 mag mount would work better dead center of the
roof...but geez, that's 6' friggin' feet sticking up above your van!! You'd
get sick and tired of wiping it out every time you go through a fast-food
line or a parking garage...not to mention just pulling it in to your garage
at home:-)

Well, I did anyway:-) I got a wilson little wil for the back of my
passat....it works just fine.

Good luck
Don

Attn : Frank Gilliland Alex CB 15 October 8th 04 05:05 PM
Frank Gilliland LS454SS70 CB 1 June 3rd 04 07:40 AM
The man who claims to be C. Frank Gilliland (N7VCF)... Twistedhed CB 1 December 13th 03 01:44 AM
C. Frank Gilliland still bleeding from gums and spreadinghatred.... Twistedhed CB 1 December 13th 03 01:43 AM