Old October 30th 04, 08:49 PM
Captain Crane

Default BEST CB Receiver ? ! ? ! .

Hi , Does anybody know what brand of CB Receivers Receive the best in
signal clarity and audio.
I have a Sonar FS23 Tube Radio which outperforms regular new transistor
cb radios on Receive Signal Clarity, audio and DX.
The ones I have Tested that I have did a fair to poor Job. I also tried
using an external speaker incase the speaker in the radio was not
adequate for the radio. Lets here your Results from other cb radios ??.
Sonar FS23 base - Very Good on audio receive
Realistic TRC30a 1976 base was fair to good on audio receive.
Realistic TRC24c Mobile 23 1976 Was Fair to good.
Realistic TRC421 Mobile 40 channel 1979 was fair to good.
Realistic TRC480 40 channel Single Side band cb / mobile 1980 was fair.
Realistic TRC493 40 channel mobile CB with DSP 1996 was Fair
Cobra 39XLR 40 channel cb 1979 was just fair on receive.
Johnson Messenger 323A 23 Channel cb 1976 was Fair - Good.
SBE - SkyFone 23 channel CB 1977 was fair to good.
GE - 23 Channel CB 1977 was Good on Receive.

Old October 30th 04, 09:39 PM
Frank Gilliland

I haven't found a transistor radio that could match a good tube rig as
far as sensitivity. The best I've found:

Regency "Range Gain" -- Excellent S/N, selectivity and ACR!
Hallicrafters CB-3A -- Like the Regency but slightly higher S/N.
Hallmark 512 -- Absolutely the LOWEST S/N, selectivity is average.

But the best of the best are the Poly-Comm models "Pro" and "23".
(Anybody got one they want to sell or trade?)

Old October 31st 04, 10:12 AM
Captain Crane

Its hard to find a Tube radio that works decent these days...

Old October 31st 04, 03:34 PM
porky

It would be very hard to beat the ears on my Browning Mark III. Strong
receiver. Good quality sound! But these radios are hard to find anymore that
are in good condition.

Old October 31st 04, 04:11 PM
Jay in the Mojave

Hello Porky:

Yeah good call, they had great receivers. They had the Collins
Mechanical Filter in the receivers.

Also another great receiver was in the Motorola Mobile System 500
radios. It had a active noise blanker, and good selectivity and sensitivity.

Jay in the Mojave

Old October 31st 04, 05:37 PM
Stephen

I've always found the old President Grant as the best, receiving very
well under even the most interfering conditions. For mobile, or base
(on power pack)!
Old November 3rd 04, 08:31 AM
Brian Bower

How are the Robyn 23 or 40 channel Tube radios. Do they have good
recieve on them?. Are they made in the USA ?.
Brian , Las Vegas NV

Old November 5th 04, 06:34 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 00:31:01 -0800, (Brian
Bower) wrote in :

How are the Robyn 23 or 40 channel Tube radios. Do they have good
recieve on them?. Are they made in the USA ?.
Brian , Las Vegas NV

Never tested one, and I don't have a schematic to give me a clue.

Old November 6th 04, 01:44 AM
Master Chief

The answer to the question is easy....

STONER had the best receiver.

That is follwed by the Cobra 2000/Cobra 148/Uniden Grant.

Everything else falls after those!

Master Chief