Old November 19th 04, 08:15 PM
Lone Wolf

Default Would a Johnson Ranger Transmitter make a good CB transmitter?

There is one for sale on E-bay that says it has the 11 meter band.
How much power would it put out?
Old November 19th 04, 10:30 PM
MailfrmPA

There is one for sale on E-bay that says it has the 11 meter band.
How much power would it put out?

The Ranger is about 40w on AM, but I think you would fing tuning it up to be a
hassle. Plus, you would still need a receiver. Finally, the Ranger is a bit of
a "collectors" transmitter, so I would expect it to be a bit expensive.
Old November 20th 04, 04:17 AM
JAMES HAMPTON

"MailfrmPA" wrote in message
There is one for sale on E-bay that says it has the 11 meter band.
How much power would it put out?

The Ranger is about 40w on AM, but I think you would fing tuning it up to

be a
hassle. Plus, you would still need a receiver. Finally, the Ranger is a

bit of
a "collectors" transmitter, so I would expect it to be a bit expensive.

The Johnson Ranger I covered 160 to 10 meters and had 11 meters included.
The Johnson Ranger II covered 160 to 6 meters and did not have 11 meters on
it. Obviously, the Ranger I was made in the early 50s before 11 meters was
changed to the cb band.

I had a Johnson Ranger I as a kid. It was rated 75 watts cw and 65 watts am
and had a 6146 final. The pi network would load virtually anything from
bedsprings to ball point pen springs (yes, I loaded them to a nice cherry
red as a test and had a good match). Ran the thing to a several hundred
foot 8 gauge longwire and had no problems on any bands, including 160
meters.

You are correct that many of these old rigs are commanding far to high a
price as a day-to-day rig. They are collectors items. I've seen
Hallicrafters S-20Rs for sale with a starting price over $200.00. I
wouldn't give you $50.00 for one of them. Very wide on receive, on the
higher frequencies you fine tuned them by moving your hand closer to or
further from the front panel. Especially on 15 meters and up.

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim

Old November 20th 04, 04:35 AM
Idxeleven

The Ranger is about 40w on AM, but I think you would fing tuning it up to be
hassle. Plus, you would still need a receiver.

If a ham can tune it a cb'er should have no problem.Get a relay and use a cb as
your receiver...simple.Plus,plate modulation sounds sweet...MN102USA
Old November 20th 04, 07:03 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Idxeleven" wrote in message
The Ranger is about 40w on AM, but I think you would fing tuning it up to

be
hassle. Plus, you would still need a receiver.

If a ham can tune it a cb'er should have no problem.Get a relay and use a

cb as
your receiver...simple.Plus,plate modulation sounds sweet...MN102USA

It was not high level plate modulation. I believe it was screen grid
modulation .... but am unsure. It has been a lot of years; AM is really
obsolete - even more so than CW.

Old November 20th 04, 07:47 PM
Idxeleven

Cbers are clueless redneck assclown's stuck with ancient technology.

Most hams nowdays are appliance operators,and cant even figure out how to wire
a microphone to a radio,many are even confused by pl-259's,lol...MN102USA