Old November 28th 04, 08:03 PM
U Know Who

Default OT-Venison Jerky-For other hunters

Just wanted to share a recipe that I cannot make enough of. I even have
people wanting to pay me to make it for them. I don't care for venison
except as sausage and this recipe. Yes, I'm a hunter, but I don't care for
the wild taste that some venison has, so I developed this recipe over the
last few years. If you have the time and patience, give it a try. It
requires a smoker and dehydrator.

1. Take a couple deer hindquarters, and remove the muscles individually,
taking care to remove the membranes (opaque white tissue covering the
muscles) and all fat. Slice into strips as you like. Does not have to be
across the grain, as this process tenderizes a lot. I generally use about
1/2" as a guideline. Save any trimmings and smaller muscles for sausage.

2. Now this is the important part. Make a marinade of:
Liquid Smoke...at least 2 bottles...4oz.
Teriyaki Sauce...an entire large bottle.
Soy Sauce...again, an entire large bottle or 2 small ones.
I also add about a cup of sugar to this, but you can decide for yourself.
Morton's Tender Quick Salt...add this about a rate of 1/4 of what it says on
the bag and dissolve in the liquid.
Seasonings: I like mine spicy. If you do too, use Mrs. Dash's extra spicy
seasoning, crushed red pepper, and coarse ground black pepper. If you desire
milder, use less of these, or not at all. No one seems to think it's too hot
here. :-)
Mix well until all is dissolved, and marinate for at least 24 hours in the
fridge.

3. Remove and place on smoker (low heat and lots of smoke). I use hickory,
but you can use what you wish. Oak works well too. Smoke for a couple hours.
Take care that you don't cook it too much. Just until it gets a bit firm
when you push on it with your finger, and it is not wet.

4. Remove and dehydrate. Now, this is the tricky part...and it takes
patience and trial and error. When it appears done, it may be past done when
it cools off. It's better to err on the side of not done and dehydrate more
if it needs it. You'll have to try on your machine to see what works for
you. It took me a while to get it right. Try a test batch!

Anyway, just passing along a method that I really like, and if it makes
someone else happy, I've done my job. It also works for Elk and Moose, as
well as exotics.

Enjoy!

Old November 28th 04, 09:47 PM
Lancer

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:03:26 GMT, "U Know Who"
wrote:

[...]

Good recipe, pretty much what we use, only we add a 1/2 bottle of
Worcestshire sauce, and a habanaro. Also, if you don't have a smoker,
it doesn't turn out to bad just using the dehydrator. Just increase
the amount of liquid smoke. Do you use the Hickory or Mequite liquid
smoke?
Old November 28th 04, 10:01 PM
U Know Who

ews.com...
wrote:

[...]

Hickory, by choice. The Worcestshire sauce works too. Do you chop/blend the
habanero? I try to make it all where it suits all, but I'd also like to try
something hotter that suits my tastes better. Hey, it's all about
experimenting! :-)

Old November 28th 04, 10:03 PM
U Know Who

ews.com...
wrote:

[...]

And you're right. The key is the preservative and the time. Seasonings are
what you like.

Old November 29th 04, 01:19 AM
U Know Who

"itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge"
wrote in message ...
"U Know Who" wrote
in :

ews.com...
wrote:

[...]

randy you like habanero's .. ?? cant get enough of them here, eat them
almost daily in some form or fashion.

You have to careful with them, but I do like them. Prob is, some who eat
what I cook don't like them. Same prob there?