Old January 4th 05, 07:30 PM
Pablo

Default Basic Questions set-up for hills and mountains

Hello:

This ng is great! Thank you all for sharing your collective information and
experiences with CB and HAM.

I'm looking for a way to communicate in a remote region that is in, and
surrounded by, mountains and hills. There is no cell service.

Can CB or HAM operate here? What would need to be set-up? What I'd like to
have is a base station for the house, something for a car or truck, and then
a couple mobile units for hiking, etc. A distance of 100 mile radius from
the base station would be incredible, but a 20-30 mile radius is most
needed.

Any information you choose to share is greatly appreciated. Also, since I'm
new and trying to learn, if you are feeling generous, explainations are more
than appreciated! For example, "you could use CB, but it's limited to XYZ,
but you can overcome that with ABC, etc." Hope that makes sense!

Old January 4th 05, 07:40 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:30:10 GMT, "Pablo"
-oh-m wrote in
:

[...]

The best way to find out what you can use is by listening to what you
can receive -- you can't work it if you can't hear it. Get yourself a
general-coverage receiver and start logging.