Old January 14th 05, 02:09 AM
Vinnie S.

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 01:45:00 GMT, Lancer wrote:

Barefoot or not, an attic is probably the worst place to put an
antenna. You have all kinds of possible problems, not the least of
which is house wiring or foil-backed insulation that can cause
reflections (high SWR).

There is also the issue of polarity. Almost all mobile CB antennas are
vertical so don't expect strong signals from a horizontal antenna, or
even an inverted-V which is largely horizontal. You might get some
skip but that depends a lot on the position of the antenna -- you
might have to rotate your house to align yourself with the traffic.

I would think your best solution is to buy a cheap antenna tuner and
load up the flag pole, rain gutter, drip-strip, sewer vent, aluminum
siding, chain-link fence, steel shed..... whatever works best.

Vinnie;
You said you lived on a ranch? Use Franks tuner idea, run a wire
out the window and tie the other end to a fence post, your wifes
clothes line pole or anything else above eye level.

I don't have a clothesline. I am thinking about running it vertical up a tree,
but would have to trench the coax.

Also, I have ground hogs, moles, and rabbits everywhere. Won't they chew up the
coax?

Vinnie S.
Old January 14th 05, 03:11 AM

On 13 Jan 2005 16:54:29 -0800, "Professor" wrote:

My recommendation is that you don't put the dipole in the attic. The
dipole is a great antenna but any antenna will take severe losses
trying to penetrate the solid walls of the attic. You will get the best
performance for everyday talking is with the dipole vertical... and in
free space.

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

What if I do this up a tree, instead of a 5/8 GP. Mind you, I will need about
100-150 of coax to run it to the tree.

Vinnie S.

150 feet from the house to the tree? Vinnie forget about burying
coax. Forget about a dipole. Forget the frigging tree already. Slap
a mobile magmount antenna on a garbage can outside your window
and call it a day. Or get an Antron and stick it on a pipe next to the
house. Or on the roof like normal cbers do. And dont let me catch
you keyclowning with this setup LOL

Old January 14th 05, 04:24 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:09:37 -0500, Vinnie S.
wrote in :

[...]

You wouldn't even need coax. Just hook the tuner right to the radio,
ground the radio, and run a single wire out the wall (through an
insulator) to any large metal object you can find, attached to your
house or not. I like metal drip-strips because they circle the entire
roof and make dandy antennas for quick-n-dirty installations.

The problem with a horizontal dipole, as I mentioned before, is the
polarity of the antenna. Most CB antennas are vertical, and if your's
is horizontal you won't hear very many people and they won't hear you.

So if you are determined to use the attic, find the tallest mobile
antenna that will fit straight up in your attic and bolt it to the
floor. Then make a ground plane by running many wires out in every
direction, and as far as you have the space (or wire). Connect the
antenna to the center of the coax, and the ground plane to the shield.
If everything goes well your SWR should be around 1.5:1 to 2:1, which
is fine because you won't be able to get it any lower without losing
signal.

Also, I have ground hogs, moles, and rabbits everywhere. Won't they chew up the
coax?

If you leave them on or under the ground, yep.

Old January 14th 05, 05:18 AM

wrote in :

[...]

Vinnie, don't use a tuner if you don't know WTF you're doing,
you'll be constantly throwing carriers yelling AAUDDIOO whistling
into the mike trying to get 1:1, a real pain in the ass
for anyone trying to use the CB in your area. Forget about radials
in the attic, you'll screw it up, stop trying to get cute, JUST BUY A
NORMAL CB ANTENNA AND PUT IT OUTSIDE, YOU F-ING MAROON.

Old January 14th 05, 07:21 AM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:18:49 GMT, wrote in
:

snip
Vinnie, don't use a tuner if you don't know WTF you're doing,

The guy want's the most bang for his buck, and he can do that with an
antenna tuner. It will probably cost him a whole $20 and it doesn't
take a college degree to operate -- jeez, it's only three knobs. And
even if you don't know what you are doing you can usually fiddle with
it long enough to tune in a good match to just about anything, even a
bed spring.

you'll be constantly throwing carriers yelling AAUDDIOO whistling
into the mike trying to get 1:1, a real pain in the ass
for anyone trying to use the CB in your area. Forget about radials
in the attic, you'll screw it up, stop trying to get cute, JUST BUY A
NORMAL CB ANTENNA AND PUT IT OUTSIDE, YOU F-ING MAROON.

If you get that upset about such a trivial issue then maybe you should
look for a stress management support group in your area.

Antenna tuner loading his rain gutters? Chances are
good he'll be into all the electronic devices in his house.
OK, he doesn't live in a house, it's a RANCH, so all his
cowboy buddies in the bunkhouse will hear him
on their TVs and stereos. It'll get into the phones too.
And if he starts keyclowning with that setup it'll be
100 times worse. What's wrong with a NORMAL cb
antenna designed for plug and play? Get him messing
with RF grounds and radials and such and he's
headed for disaster. I predict.

Old January 14th 05, 09:16 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:21:36 GMT, wrote in
:

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:18:49 GMT,
wrote in
:

snip

That's a crock of **** and you know it.

OK, he doesn't live in a house, it's a RANCH, so all his
cowboy buddies in the bunkhouse will hear him
on their TVs and stereos. It'll get into the phones too.

Maybe it will get into your pants and relieve the pressure on your
brain.

And if he starts keyclowning with that setup it'll be
100 times worse. What's wrong with a NORMAL cb
antenna designed for plug and play? Get him messing
with RF grounds and radials and such and he's
headed for disaster. I predict.

Oh my god, maybe he'll get interested in getting a license and become
a ham -- it's the Hindenberg all over again -- the humanity!!!

Old January 14th 05, 11:11 AM
Steveo

wrote in :
Also, I have ground hogs, moles, and rabbits everywhere. Won't they chew
up the coax?

If you leave them on or under the ground, yep.

Then the varmints will sleep with the fish!

Hey Enzo, long time. Don't tell me your new place has one of those
busy body anti antenna rules!?
Old January 14th 05, 11:17 AM
Steveo

Frank Gilliland wrote:
[...]

Hehe, aol boi lives in a washing machine box so the concept of a ranch
stlye home goes right over his pinhead.