Old January 13th 05, 04:50 PM
Vinnie S.

Default Dipole question

Hi. If I want to talk abrefoot and run a dipole for 27 MHz in my attic, I
noticed there are numerous versions. The vertical is out for obvious reasons. So
there are inverted and horizontal. Is there any version I am better off using
barefoot?

Vinnie S.
Old January 13th 05, 09:15 PM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:50:35 -0500, Vinnie S.
wrote:

Hi. If I want to talk abrefoot and run a dipole for 27 MHz in my attic, I
noticed there are numerous versions. The vertical is out for obvious reasons. So
there are inverted and horizontal. Is there any version I am better off using
barefoot?

Vinnie S.

The only obvious answer is to use an outside antenna even if it's a
18" mobile antenna mounted on a gutter. Use a disguised antenna if
need be. Having a inside antenna is problematic and is job specific as
to whether it will perform satisfactorily.
Old January 14th 05, 12:54 AM
Professor

My recommendation is that you don't put the dipole in the attic. The
dipole is a great antenna but any antenna will take severe losses
trying to penetrate the solid walls of the attic. You will get the best
performance for everyday talking is with the dipole vertical... and in
free space.

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old January 14th 05, 01:40 AM
Vinnie S.

On 13 Jan 2005 16:54:29 -0800, "Professor" wrote:

My recommendation is that you don't put the dipole in the attic. The
dipole is a great antenna but any antenna will take severe losses
trying to penetrate the solid walls of the attic. You will get the best
performance for everyday talking is with the dipole vertical... and in
free space.

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

What if I do this up a tree, instead of a 5/8 GP. Mind you, I will need about
100-150 of coax to run it to the tree.

Vinnie S.

Old January 14th 05, 03:11 AM

On 13 Jan 2005 16:54:29 -0800, "Professor" wrote:

My recommendation is that you don't put the dipole in the attic. The
dipole is a great antenna but any antenna will take severe losses
trying to penetrate the solid walls of the attic. You will get the best
performance for everyday talking is with the dipole vertical... and in
free space.

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

What if I do this up a tree, instead of a 5/8 GP. Mind you, I will need about
100-150 of coax to run it to the tree.

Vinnie S.

150 feet from the house to the tree? Vinnie forget about burying
coax. Forget about a dipole. Forget the frigging tree already. Slap
a mobile magmount antenna on a garbage can outside your window
and call it a day. Or get an Antron and stick it on a pipe next to the
house. Or on the roof like normal cbers do. And dont let me catch
you keyclowning with this setup LOL

Old January 14th 05, 12:56 AM
Frank Gilliland

wrote in :

Hi. If I want to talk abrefoot and run a dipole for 27 MHz in my attic, I
noticed there are numerous versions. The vertical is out for obvious reasons. So
there are inverted and horizontal. Is there any version I am better off using
barefoot?

Vinnie S.

Barefoot or not, an attic is probably the worst place to put an
antenna. You have all kinds of possible problems, not the least of
which is house wiring or foil-backed insulation that can cause
reflections (high SWR).

There is also the issue of polarity. Almost all mobile CB antennas are
vertical so don't expect strong signals from a horizontal antenna, or
even an inverted-V which is largely horizontal. You might get some
skip but that depends a lot on the position of the antenna -- you
might have to rotate your house to align yourself with the traffic.

I would think your best solution is to buy a cheap antenna tuner and
load up the flag pole, rain gutter, drip-strip, sewer vent, aluminum
siding, chain-link fence, steel shed..... whatever works best.

Old January 14th 05, 01:34 AM
Vinnie S.

wrote in :

Hi. If I want to talk abrefoot and run a dipole for 27 MHz in my attic, I
noticed there are numerous versions. The vertical is out for obvious reasons. So
there are inverted and horizontal. Is there any version I am better off using
barefoot?

Vinnie S.

Barefoot or not, an attic is probably the worst place to put an
antenna. You have all kinds of possible problems, not the least of
which is house wiring or foil-backed insulation that can cause
reflections (high SWR).

Only one AC romex wire going thru. No foil on insulation. Standard rafter and
plywood sheating.

There is also the issue of polarity. Almost all mobile CB antennas are
vertical so don't expect strong signals from a horizontal antenna, or
even an inverted-V which is largely horizontal. You might get some
skip but that depends a lot on the position of the antenna -- you
might have to rotate your house to align yourself with the traffic.

I would think your best solution is to buy a cheap antenna tuner and
load up the flag pole, rain gutter, drip-strip, sewer vent, aluminum
siding, chain-link fence, steel shed..... whatever works best.

I am going to have to think about this. I really wanted a temporary solution
until I can hand one on the tree.

Vinnie S.
Old January 14th 05, 01:45 AM
Lancer

wrote in :

[...]

You said you lived on a ranch? Use Franks tuner idea, run a wire
out the window and tie the other end to a fence post, your wifes
clothes line pole or anything else above eye level.
Old January 14th 05, 02:09 AM
Vinnie S.

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 01:45:00 GMT, Lancer wrote:

[...]

I don't have a clothesline. I am thinking about running it vertical up a tree,
but would have to trench the coax.

Also, I have ground hogs, moles, and rabbits everywhere. Won't they chew up the
coax?

Vinnie S.