Old January 20th 05, 04:34 AM
Trev 999

Default Radio Shack/Realistic HTX100 10M transciever, anygood?

Is the Radio Shack/Realistic HTX100 10M transciever, any good?
I'm thinking of buying one.
Cheers

Old January 20th 05, 04:51 AM
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK

"Trev 999" wrote in message
Is the Radio Shack/Realistic HTX100 10M transciever, any good?
I'm thinking of buying one.
Cheers

It's performance is a little "Wimpy".....you would much better off with a
Icom 706-MKII-G
MUCH more radio, not a whole lot more money considering what it will do.
just my 2¢ worth ( I have a HTX-10 and 2 '706's)

Old January 20th 05, 09:59 AM
43PC122

G'day Trev, from what I've seen on the net , they're going 2nd hand in the
US for around 50 - 60 US Dollars, there's one on ebay too, in the US, link
below, I personally don't know what they perform like, I have had other
Realistic products and put it this way, you only get what you pay for, and
sometimes not even that lol, I agree with DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK posting on the
ICOM 706MKIIG except for the price difference, new from Andrews
Communications is $1399.00 AUD, and they still go for around $1200 on ebay
at end of bidding, bloody good radio though I've had mine for about 4 years
now and very happy with it, choosing a radio depends on what your are using
it for and how often, and ofcourse the bloody bank account always plays a
big part in the decision lol , Cheers for now, Warren 43PC122

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....6&category=467
4&sspagename=rvi:1:3

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-co...on-01-icom.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....&item=57456149
22&rd=1

Old January 20th 05, 11:00 AM
Trev 999

Cheers Warren, the IC706 is about $1000 dearer, that would take a lot or
performance boost to match the price difference. I might pay a couple of
hundred for the HTX100 as its a 30 watt unit by the looks.

Old January 20th 05, 11:24 AM
43PC122

Ok Trev, yep big price diff but Icom is Hf,VHf, and UHf all in one and 100 W
on Hf, anyway her's a bit of info on the HTX 100 links below, Cheers, Warren

http://rogerbird1.20megsfree.com/htx100_spec.htm

Old January 20th 05, 02:08 PM
Pierre

I started on HF with an HTX-100 and had a ball. It was relatively cheap and
a good place to start without breaking the bank. Since then, I have moved on
to an all band 100 watter but still regard the HTX-100 as one that provided
a lot of fun.

It is nice to have a new BMW but an old HQ still gets you there and a lot
lower cost.

Peter

Old January 20th 05, 11:46 PM
john and steph

"Pierre" wrote in message
I started on HF with an HTX-100 and had a ball. It was relatively cheap

and
a good place to start without breaking the bank. Since then, I have moved

on
to an all band 100 watter but still regard the HTX-100 as one that

provided
a lot of fun.

It is nice to have a new BMW but an old HQ still gets you there and a lot
lower cost.

i agree with pierre, i have an htx100 with usb, lsb and am...30w,
get`s xlent reports and the memory system, and mike mounted freq. change
makes working split freq. activations, and general dx a breeze...just my 2
bob`s worth.
cheers john

Peter

Old January 20th 05, 01:31 PM
K7MEM

Trev 999 wrote:
Is the Radio Shack/Realistic HTX100 10M transciever, any good?
I'm thinking of buying one.
Cheers

I have a HTX-100 and like it. It's not without it's limitations,
but then no rig is. I haven't seen any lately, but they seem to
hold a value of about $100 to $125, in pretty good condition.

You should know that a stock HTX-100 is USB/CW only. Someone else
mentioned the HTX-10. That version eliminated CW but added LSB and
AM. There are mods on the internet to expand the frequency coverge,
enhance the audio, change the sideband, etc.. Operationally, a lot
depends on the band conditions. During the last good propogation
cycle, I had my HTX-100 in my car and ran a small 3 foot mag mount
on the trunk. From Phoenix I could hit the mid west and the east
coast, every day. I removed it because it's too distracting. At
home I run it from a homebrew power supply and feed my tribander,
and it works great.

Probably the biggest complaint I have heard about it is the audio
is a little lacking, but that's fixable.

--
Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.150m.com