Old January 20th 05, 04:34 AM
Trev 999

Default Radio Shack/Realistic HTX100 10M transciever, anygood?

Is the Radio Shack/Realistic HTX100 10M transciever, any good?
I'm thinking of buying one.
Cheers

Old January 20th 05, 04:51 AM
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK

"Trev 999" wrote in message
Is the Radio Shack/Realistic HTX100 10M transciever, any good?
I'm thinking of buying one.
Cheers

It's performance is a little "Wimpy".....you would much better off with a
Icom 706-MKII-G
MUCH more radio, not a whole lot more money considering what it will do.
just my 2¢ worth ( I have a HTX-10 and 2 '706's)

Old January 20th 05, 09:59 AM
43PC122

G'day Trev, from what I've seen on the net , they're going 2nd hand in the
US for around 50 - 60 US Dollars, there's one on ebay too, in the US, link
below, I personally don't know what they perform like, I have had other
Realistic products and put it this way, you only get what you pay for, and
sometimes not even that lol, I agree with DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK posting on the
ICOM 706MKIIG except for the price difference, new from Andrews
Communications is $1399.00 AUD, and they still go for around $1200 on ebay
at end of bidding, bloody good radio though I've had mine for about 4 years
now and very happy with it, choosing a radio depends on what your are using
it for and how often, and ofcourse the bloody bank account always plays a
big part in the decision lol , Cheers for now, Warren 43PC122

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....6&category=467
4&sspagename=rvi:1:3

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-co...on-01-icom.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....&item=57456149
22&rd=1

Old January 20th 05, 11:00 AM
Trev 999

Cheers Warren, the IC706 is about $1000 dearer, that would take a lot or
performance boost to match the price difference. I might pay a couple of
hundred for the HTX100 as its a 30 watt unit by the looks.

Old January 20th 05, 11:24 AM
43PC122

Ok Trev, yep big price diff but Icom is Hf,VHf, and UHf all in one and 100 W
on Hf, anyway her's a bit of info on the HTX 100 links below, Cheers, Warren

http://rogerbird1.20megsfree.com/htx100_spec.htm

Old January 20th 05, 01:31 PM
K7MEM

Trev 999 wrote:
Is the Radio Shack/Realistic HTX100 10M transciever, any good?
I'm thinking of buying one.
Cheers

I have a HTX-100 and like it. It's not without it's limitations,
but then no rig is. I haven't seen any lately, but they seem to
hold a value of about $100 to $125, in pretty good condition.

You should know that a stock HTX-100 is USB/CW only. Someone else
mentioned the HTX-10. That version eliminated CW but added LSB and
AM. There are mods on the internet to expand the frequency coverge,
enhance the audio, change the sideband, etc.. Operationally, a lot
depends on the band conditions. During the last good propogation
cycle, I had my HTX-100 in my car and ran a small 3 foot mag mount
on the trunk. From Phoenix I could hit the mid west and the east
coast, every day. I removed it because it's too distracting. At
home I run it from a homebrew power supply and feed my tribander,
and it works great.

Probably the biggest complaint I have heard about it is the audio
is a little lacking, but that's fixable.

--
Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.150m.com
Old January 20th 05, 02:08 PM
Pierre

I started on HF with an HTX-100 and had a ball. It was relatively cheap and
a good place to start without breaking the bank. Since then, I have moved on
to an all band 100 watter but still regard the HTX-100 as one that provided
a lot of fun.

It is nice to have a new BMW but an old HQ still gets you there and a lot
lower cost.

Peter

Old January 20th 05, 11:46 PM
john and steph

"Pierre" wrote in message
I started on HF with an HTX-100 and had a ball. It was relatively cheap

and
a good place to start without breaking the bank. Since then, I have moved

on
to an all band 100 watter but still regard the HTX-100 as one that

provided
a lot of fun.

It is nice to have a new BMW but an old HQ still gets you there and a lot
lower cost.

i agree with pierre, i have an htx100 with usb, lsb and am...30w,
get`s xlent reports and the memory system, and mike mounted freq. change
makes working split freq. activations, and general dx a breeze...just my 2
bob`s worth.
cheers john

Peter

Old January 21st 05, 12:01 AM
Trev 999

Hi John, is it a mod to get LSB and AM?, as I hear this model has normally
only USB.
Cheers Trev

Old January 21st 05, 12:03 AM
Peter Parker

"john and steph" wrote in message
i agree with pierre, i have an htx100 with usb, lsb and am...30w,
get`s xlent reports and the memory system, and mike mounted freq. change
makes working split freq. activations, and general dx a breeze...just my 2
bob`s worth.

As a radio they're great.

When 10m is open and there's people on that is.

At other times it'll only be good as a paperweight.

And given that sunspot numbers will be low for a few years, be prepared for
weeks at a time without contacts on 10m.

If you're on a budget, you'd be far better off with an older secondhand HF
set that covers the much more active bands of 80, 40 and 20m. At least
you'll be able to get contacts on HF just about any time you want rather
than tuning across a band that's dead most of the time.

Peter