Old January 24th 05, 09:47 PM
Mark

Default Fried radio?

Hi,

I have a Uniden Grant running as a base station, with a Leson power desk mic
connected.

I heard a station loud and clear just now, and I keyed the desk mike to
reply. Probably only transmitted for about two seconds, long enough to say
"Hello there, loud station".

But now the reception volume is incredibly low. Either on the internal
speaker or with an external speaker connected. You need to turn the volume
pretty much flat out and then can only just make out the audio.

I discovered that my young daughter had wound up the knob on the Leson desk
mic to about three-quarters the way round. I usually have it on about one
notch out of ten, something like that.

I suspect that I've fried something inside with such a large power setting
on the desk mic. Is this feasible? Have I literally overloaded the
transmitter by having the desk mic power so high? And why would that cause a
problem with the receiver audio output?

Thanks for any ideas!

Mark.

Old January 24th 05, 09:52 PM
SideBand

Mark wrote:
[...]

Try re-keying the mic.. If you have dirty contacts in the mic, the
receive won't work on the radio...

Failing that, try a different mic.

Failing that, something is wrong with the radio.

-SSB
Old January 24th 05, 11:53 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:52:33 GMT, SideBand wrote
in :

Mark wrote:
[...]

Probably a capacitor ;-)

Old January 24th 05, 11:55 PM
SideBand

Mark wrote:

[...]

Tell me you're kidding, please.

-SSB
Old January 25th 05, 12:10 AM
Steveo

"SideBand" wrote in message
. com...
Frank Gilliland wrote:

SILLILAND WAS BITCH SNIPPED

My boyfriend was kidding about the capacitor but I am not kidding about
sucking your massive cock as I slip a finger into your man-love-hole!!

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Old January 25th 05, 03:57 AM
Richard

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:55:52 GMT SideBand wrote:

Frank Gilliland wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:52:33 GMT, SideBand wrote
in :

Probably a capacitor ;-)

Tell me you're kidding, please.

-SSB

Yeah probably one of those 10 farad ones. They seem to go bad when over
modulated.

Old January 25th 05, 04:22 AM
Mark

Sideband,

You are spot on!

After I sent this message, I replaced the desk mic with the original Uniden
mic and all was well. So I put the desk mic back on and same problem. Then
I realised the mic transmit lock-down lever was part way down, turning off
the receiver, but not quite turning on the transmitter!

Mark.

"SideBand" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 25th 05, 10:15 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:22:27 +1300, "Mark" wrote
in 1106626906.888020@ftpsrv1:

Sideband,

You are spot on!

Naw, it's a capacitor for sure. I've seen symptoms like this once
before and it was a cap, so "the problem is almost always related to
caps drying out".

Old January 25th 05, 12:34 PM
Rheilly Phoull

"kenwood" wrote in message

****ty lesons for ya

"Mark" wrote in message

[...]

Hey, theres an improvement. He's (it) has found the caps lock key or is it
just a mellow mood ??

--
Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull