Old February 14th 05, 09:29 AM
Paul Johnson

http://ursine.ca/Top_Posting Top posting is considered harmful

Professor wrote:

This provides an excellent radiation pattern and doesn't hit every tree,
bridge, and lighting fixure... LOL

No kidding. In some parts of the country (like where I'm at), we also have
to contend with things like 12' clearance under 110,000 volt, uninsulated
power lines for interurban trains. Hitting one of those with an antenna
would give a whole meaning to putting some fire in the wire. I'd probably
get a taller antenna if it weren't for that and parking garages (and as it
is, I'm steering around lighting fixtures in parking garages).

--
Paul Johnson

http://ursine.ca/~baloo/
Old February 14th 05, 11:52 AM
Steveo

"Jeff Mayner" wrote:
Professor wrote:
Jeff is right... while the whip is a great antenna... if not mounted
on the center of the vehicle... it will be very directional towards
the front of the vehicle if mounted in the rear. Frankly, the whip is
a bit impractical from several standpoints. When balancing
practicality and performance... I always opted for a somewhat shorter
antenna (Wilson 1000) magneted to the center of the roof. This
provides an excellent radiation pattern and doesn't hit every tree,
bridge, and lighting fixure... LOL

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

But the whip makes such a nice "BONGGGG" when you hit the right object.
;-)

It turns into a water pipe?? g

That being said, I think the Wilson is the better choice. If he's driving
a Plymouth he'll probably have the same problem I had with my '68 Dodge
Coronet. Thin top "skin".

Too much acid dip, Richard Petty.

--
http://NewsReader.Com 30 GB/Month
Old February 14th 05, 04:47 PM
starlord

This car has had that "skin" stripped off ages ago, in fact the whole car is
primer gray, it's a major FIX IT CAR, as I don't even have power to the
power windows and that I have to fix before the hot desert summer hits.

--

SIAR
www.starlords.org

"Jeff Mayner" wrote in message
news
Professor wrote:
But the whip makes such a nice "BONGGGG" when you hit the right object.

;-)

That being said, I think the Wilson is the better choice. If he's driving

Plymouth he'll probably have the same problem I had with my '68 Dodge
Coronet. Thin top "skin". I'd worry about that whip ripping right out.

Jeff

Old February 14th 05, 06:41 PM
Jeff Mayner

Steveo wrote:
"Jeff Mayner" wrote:
Professor wrote:
[...]

lol...

Nah, the big green machine was stock and hadn't been "restofied". Great
shape and only had about 45k on the clock when I bought it in '90. I sold it
in '95 or so with around 65k on it. The guy I sold it to dropped in a 440, I
don't know what he did with the 383, and turned it into a Super Bee clone.
Ended up being a pretty nice car, I still love the look of that SB hood
scoop, but I would have used a "440" rather than a "500". 500's were
_heavy_.

Jeff

Old February 15th 05, 12:55 AM
jim

Jeff Mayner wrote:
Steveo wrote:

"Jeff Mayner" wrote:

Professor wrote:

[...]

500 was the first car I drove. Heavy was right as it pulled a 25'
trailer and as such the gearing was low. A pig off the line but it was
still fun at 120 after taking a year and a day.