Old March 7th 05, 11:43 PM

Default Stupid question about a CB Portable/Handheld

I was stuck in traffic for two hours this past weekend... has no idea
what was going on until two hours later when they directed us OFF of
the interstate. All I want is a portable/handheld CB radio with great
range, that will pickup all of the freq's/channels that truckers use
(since they will most likely know what is going down) Can someone here
please recommend a good one?

Old March 8th 05, 01:42 AM
KeyBoard In The Wilderness

Consider a no-code Amateur Radio license, technician class.
You can access repeaters with 90+ miles range.
Repeaters are usually on mountain tops, hence the extended range.
A mobile 2M rig with a 19" whip antenna will do the trick.
Repeaters are full of traffic reports for the commuting, traveling ham.
Base stations can use the internet to report traffic incidents and traffic
flow.
Also great for getting directions if you are not familiar with the
territory.

--
KeyBoard In The Wilderness

"Vinnie S." wrote in message
news
On 7 Mar 2005 15:43:55 -0800, wrote:

I was stuck in traffic for two hours this past weekend... has no idea
what was going on until two hours later when they directed us OFF of
the interstate. All I want is a portable/handheld CB radio with great
range, that will pickup all of the freq's/channels that truckers use
(since they will most likely know what is going down) Can someone here
please recommend a good one?

Unless you at using an external antenna, your range will be nothing,
especially
from inside the car.

Vinnie S.

Old March 8th 05, 03:26 PM
Vinnie S.

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:42:29 -0800, "KeyBoard In The Wilderness"
wrote:

Consider a no-code Amateur Radio license, technician class.
You can access repeaters with 90+ miles range.
Repeaters are usually on mountain tops, hence the extended range.
A mobile 2M rig with a 19" whip antenna will do the trick.
Repeaters are full of traffic reports for the commuting, traveling ham.
Base stations can use the internet to report traffic incidents and traffic
flow.
Also great for getting directions if you are not familiar with the
territory.

This is great if you drive one partciular area. But as drive all over eastern
PA, nothing beat the CB for traffic, speed traps, etc. After Sat, I hope to be
able to do both.

Vinnie S.
Old March 8th 05, 05:56 PM
outz

Thanks everyone for your ideas. The main reason I was wanting to go
portable, the wife took the new car when we got married, so I'm stuck
with the old car... I commute 60+ miles a day so it would be handy to
have the radio in my car at those times... we also take the wifes car
on our 7+ hour drives to see our families, so it would also be nice to
easily transfer the unit to her car. Perhaps they make a
car-charger/power adapter for a portable? Also, a magnet mount antenna
sounds extremely do-able.

Thanks again everyone!