Old March 27th 05, 03:22 AM
Vinnie S.

Default Imax-2000?

Anybody have one? I am going to stick it in a tree. There are tuning rings on
it. Anyone ever tune one of these? I am going at it alone when I install it. I
am going to use a climbing tree stand, and it will be impossible to tune it when
it is hung. If I tune it on the ground, will the SWR be drastically affected if
it is a couple feet off the ground, as opposed to when it is about 30 feet up?

Vinnie S.
Old March 27th 05, 03:53 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:22:09 -0500, Vinnie S.
wrote in :

Anybody have one? I am going to stick it in a tree. There are tuning rings on
it. Anyone ever tune one of these? I am going at it alone when I install it. I
am going to use a climbing tree stand, and it will be impossible to tune it when
it is hung. If I tune it on the ground, will the SWR be drastically affected if
it is a couple feet off the ground, as opposed to when it is about 30 feet up?

Can't say specifically for the 2000. For a 1/2-wave vertical dipole,
the input impedance is highest (around 100 ohms) when the feedpoint is
1/4-wave above the ground (as low as it can go without digging a
hole). It is lowest (about 70 ohms) when the feedpoint is 1/2-wave
above ground. As you get higher the input impedance levels off to
slightly above the average impedance of a horizontal dipole (the
latter being about 73 ohms). Turning the antenna horizontally won't
work because it will then behave like a horizontal dipole, the input
impedance dropping towards zero as you get closer to the ground.

IOW, if you tune it on the ground, the SWR -will- change after you get
it up the tree -- and that's disregarding any effect the tree will
have on it's impedance.

Old March 27th 05, 08:20 PM
Landshark

"Vinnie S." wrote in message
Anybody have one? I am going to stick it in a tree. There are tuning rings
on
it. Anyone ever tune one of these? I am going at it alone when I install
it. I
am going to use a climbing tree stand, and it will be impossible to tune
it when
it is hung. If I tune it on the ground, will the SWR be drastically
affected if
it is a couple feet off the ground, as opposed to when it is about 30 feet
up?

Vinnie S.

I run an Army BigStick in a 110' Redwood. We sorta tuned
it on the mast with the coax stretched all the way out. Now it was a good
match when it was down, it went up just a little
when all the way up, nut not enough to worry about. I also
ran a separate ground wire down from the mounting brackets.

Landshark

--
__
o /' )

Old March 27th 05, 10:11 PM
Vinnie S.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:20:33 GMT, "Landshark" wrote:

"Vinnie S." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Good enough. How high is it? Is it all the way up?

Vinnie S.
Old March 28th 05, 04:12 AM
Landshark

"Vinnie S." wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:20:33 GMT, "Landshark"
wrote:

"Vinnie S." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Tree is 110', antenna on a 10' mast, about 5' above the top.

Landshark

--
Real heroes are men who fall and fail
and are flawed, but win out in the end

Old March 28th 05, 09:57 AM
George Kinzer

to bad, the ENTIRE antenna should be out the tree...
I am not saying this to be funny, but you are not getting out
anyway near what you would if it was.

Old March 28th 05, 03:03 PM
Vinnie S.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 03:12:03 GMT, "Landshark" wrote:

Tree is 110', antenna on a 10' mast, about 5' above the top.

How did you get it up that high? Did you pay someone?

Vinnie S.
Old March 28th 05, 03:15 PM
Landshark

wrote:

Tree is 110', antenna on a 10' mast, about 5' above the top.

How did you get it up that high? Did you pay someone?

Vinnie S.

A good friend that's very skilled at climbing trees (Yes,
I gave him so cash for that great task).

Landshark

--
Hard things are put in our way,
not to stop us, but to call out our

Old March 28th 05, 03:15 PM
Landshark

"George Kinzer" wrote in message
to bad, the ENTIRE antenna should be out the tree...
I am not saying this to be funny, but you are not getting out
anyway near what you would if it was.

Umh, maybe I wasn't to clear, sorry. The mast is approx
5' give or take above the top, So most of the antenna
is well above the tree and works just fine with an
SWR of 1:3:1

Landshark

--
Treat people as if they were what
they ought to be and you will help

Old March 29th 05, 03:39 AM
U Know Who

"itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge"
wrote in message ...
"Landshark" wrote in news:0kU1e.2430$FN4.273
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

wrote:

Tree is 110', antenna on a 10' mast, about 5' above the top.

How did you get it up that high? Did you pay someone?

Vinnie S.

No he had him dress in transexual garb as he climbed the long pole.

Childish newsgroup assclown.

IBRA Radio B04 Mike Terry Shortwave 0 November 3rd 04 06:43 PM
VT Communications B'04 Mike Terry Shortwave 1 October 12th 04 07:14 PM
Rockwell-Collins PropMan 2000 - solution for issues with internet space wx data retrieval Carl R. Stevenson Antenna 0 July 11th 03 02:45 AM
Rockwell-Collins PropMan 2000 - solution for issues with internet space wx data retrieval Carl R. Stevenson Dx 0 July 9th 03 08:56 PM